My wife and I could have been toast...almost literally.

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
So I sent my Xbox back to the factory for repair recently and received in return a replacement unit. I plugged it in and began smelling a burning plastic smell. I contacted Microsoft and they told me to try it again and see if it persists. I wasn't very happy, but I did it anyway...no smell anymore. Ok, wow, must have been some sort of burn in with new plastics. 4 days passes and I'm playing the Xbox today and suddenly I see sparks out of the corner of my eye. The power bar powering my 20 gallon fishtank is on fire! I run over to it, not sure how to proceed, but the flame extinguishes itself quickly then I unplug it.

In the photo attahced, you can see where water was getting on the bar for quite some time. What's harder to see is the parts of the bar that are missing and burned away on top.

Lesson Learned :poke:

I shudder to think what could have happened while we were asleep.

IMG00022-20100515-1953.jpg

Wow ! Glad your ok. That smell sucks doesnt it ?

My wife left a few weeks ago early while kids and I were still sleeping.
Then all of the sudden the smoke alarms went off. We came out to find house full of smoke. She had left stovetop burner on and it cooked itself till it caught fire.

You all got lucky!!!!!
I was a firefighter for a few years and I could tell you all kinds of stories.
I wont bore you with them here but I can tell you I so do love the smell of burnt hair. Sorry. Had to share. hehe

Could you send it to my ex-wife?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Truly, this could have been tragic. Thank goodness you were there to witness it, one would hope that the power bar or the circuit breaker would have tripped before any real damage could have been done. Lucky dude, really lucky!

Thanks everyone, yes, thankful to be alive.

Sadly, the breaker did not trip, which is a symptom of living in a 50 year old house I suppose. This place was built by amatuers too. Re-wiring is a big project on the agenda.

I use to have a couple reef tanks in my early 20s and had this problem once. Well, not this exact problem because my circuit breaker blew when the water hit it. I fixed it by mounting the surge protector to the wall and then making sure everything that was plugged in had a rain loop so the water couldn't travel to the surge protector. :beerchug:

Glad it wasn't worse. :beerchug:

I just went out and bought a GFI outlet, so I'm hooking that puppy up today, no more worries! :beerchug:

Back