My weekly show on New Zealand.

Very south of the southern island. So far I've seen the Burt Munro Memorial Day racing and now they have found a wahka. Loosely describe as a dugout canoe. Except it about 450 years old.
Waka – canoes – Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Lol ! it's a waka, pronounced 'wocka', they are awesome to behold . . .
1552970038717.png

Still used for ceremonial duties, they have the odd mishap with strong winds and swells capsizing them, there has always been debate on whether the Maori 'warriors' on board these canoes should be wearing life jackets . . PC rubbish, it'll never happen.
If you ever want to visit, you have a place to stay at mine.
You would have the trip of a lifetime . . think it over!

Thank Kiwi. I shall give it serious thought. That is a pretty interesting canoe. I can see how wind would effect it. Life jackets. Thats funny. May as well have pads on a rugby player. Yes I am quite enjoying the Coast series. They have done Australia and England of course. I never knew how Young NZ is in terms of white people arriving. I knew it was well know as having whaling stns. So much interesting history.

Thank Kiwi. I shall give it serious thought. That is a pretty interesting canoe. I can see how wind would effect it. Life jackets. Thats funny. May as well have pads on a rugby player. Yes I am quite enjoying the Coast series. They have done Australia and England of course. I never knew how Young NZ is in terms of white people arriving. I knew it was well know as having whaling stns. So much interesting history.
I watch it too, quite interesting.

Not sure. It's on a PBS channel out of British Columbia. I'm sure it can be found on you tube
There is
Coast.
Coast Australia
Coast New Zealand
And possibly others.
Each episode 45 minutes without commercials
Coast New Zealand Coast New Zealand - Google Search should get you there
The only trouble is when a Scot is talking with a Kiwi you may not understand a word they say ;)
Scroll down a bit and you should find them all. It's worth it :)

Not sure. It's on a PBS channel out of British Columbia. I'm sure it can be found on you tube
There is
Coast.
Coast Australia
Coast New Zealand
And possibly others.
The only trouble is when a Scot is talking with a Kiwi you may not understand a word they say ;)
Thanks for the link, I was trying to find it the other day with no luck.
Yeah, the Scot's accent is pretty thick eh . . . unlike Kiwis that have no accent whatsoever, we just speak normally lol.

There is
Coast.
Coast Australia
Coast New Zealand
And possibly others.
Thanks JP, I'll look for it.

Watched it last night and he was on Stuart's Island looking for the Kiwi that is unique to the island..they talked quite a bit about the Norwegian whaling station there.

It was interesting how they trained dogs to leave the kiwis alone. They used kiwi feces to lure the dog and had electrical shockers attached to basically a furry ball...

Back