My TSX Retrofit

Demon

Registered
I wanted to share my project with the group.

I’m in the process of retrofitting my headlight with an Acura TSX HID projector. My plans are to run this projector with an aftermarket 55w ballast & bulb.

TSX Projector / OEM HID Bulb (front)
Jun12_0004.jpg

TSX Projector / OEM HID Bulb (back)
Jun12_0005.jpg

If you want to do this, I will try to explain it the best way that I can. This is my first retrofit ever, so please take it easy on me lol…

First step is to remove your headlight from your bike.
Jun12_0001.jpg

Jun12_0002.jpg

Jun12_0003.jpg

Preheat your oven to 275F. You are going to place your headlight into the oven once it has heated to the 275. I used a cookie sheet to do this step with. Once the oven has heated turn it OFF, and place the headlight assembly into the oven and time it for 10 minutes. Take it out after the 10 minutes is up.

For the next step you will need a flathead screwdriver, because you will need to pry the headlight apart. The silicone is a pain in the rear to seperate at first, but once it goes it becomes fairly easy. Your headlight should look like this once you took it out of the oven and pryed it apart.
Jun13_0001.jpg

You can now take out the high beam projecter with a philips screwdriver and a 10mm wrench on the backside of the assembly. It pops right out. It's pretty close to the size of the TSX (length). TSX bottom / Halogen high beam top.
Jun13_0002.jpg

TSX is smaller in diameter though.
Jun13_0003.jpg

Remove the mounting bracket from the original high beam projector and place the TSX into it. I used a Sharpie Marker to mark where the bolts were hitting on the bracket, and I drilled them out. Three of them had to be drilled out of the four.
Jun13_0004-1.jpg

To be continued...

I thought that I would have been able to add to the original post, guess not.

Anyway. The screws that are in the TSX projector are size 8-32 (standard). I believe the screws were 2 or 2.5 inches long originally so I had to take a trip to the hardware store. The screws need to be about an inch longer and I needed more nuts to lock the projector and bracket together.

Once the projector is mated to the mounting bracket it's ready to be installed back into the headlight housing utilizing the same three aiming screws. The new projector should look like this...
tsx.jpg

tsx1.jpg

Jun13_0008.jpg

I did a test fit of the upper and lower housing and had an issue with the chrome insert hitting the edges of the new projector. So I took out the chrome insert (3 screws in it) and did another test fit. So far I didn't see any issues.
Jun13_0007.jpg

I will most likely have to modify the chrome insert to accept the new projector...

I'll post more progress photos once I'm able to work some more on the headlight. I hope the photos are clear enough for everyone, since I am taking them from my Nextel phone.

yea, a trim ring would be the way to go, and you could colormatch the inside of the headlight to your bike. so are you just changing the aim of the low beam and switching trigger wires? also, do the stock aiming bolts still work?

yea, a trim ring would be the way to go, and you could colormatch the inside of the headlight to your bike. so are you just changing the aim of the low beam and switching trigger wires? also, do the stock aiming bolts still work?

Yes everything is still in working order.

I haven't completed all of the cosmetic things. I'm still looking for something in chrome to shroud the part of the TSX that's poking out.

I bought a Nokya 2500K H7 for the low so it might serve as a fog light. I'm going to adjust it downward a bit and place a switch. The TSX has the high beam switch so that's already been taken care of.

I'm still looking into placing leds into the housing with a modulator. There's just too many choices out there.

Last edited:
Back