My trip to NC and the Dragon

RedBusarider

Registered
I had never been to North Carolina or the Dragon before.
I had heard about it and seen a number of posts on the subject - But we all know it's not the same thing as being there yourself.
I'm one who would rather not have my Busa set outside (GW no problem) overnight IF I didn't have to. And with a trailer why would I?
So this year I spent some more time and money modifying my trailer so I could sleep in it. A cheap man's toy hauler, I guess. ???
I also didn't have any desire to drive my trailer through the dragon - slowing everyone else down.

So with some searching I found a KOA in Marble NC. It was 20 miles from the mouth of US129 and about 30-35 miles from Robbinsville.
It had all the hookups, so since I would be paying for water and sewer, I installed a sink in my trailer.
Just to wash my hands and/or do a few dishes etc. Most Hotel/Motels charge more $$ and then you have the problem of finding some place
to park your vehicle and trailer AND being able to remove or install the bike at anytime. Not to mention other people around watching you.
Whereas all the people in the campground have trailers or motorhomes so you are "normal" in their eyes. I think it worked out very well camping. JMO.

Here is my setup. Yes I did sleep with my bike. :laugh: But she didn't mind, as she was dry and warmer than the outside. Me too.
Round trip pulling the trailer was about 1600 miles. Only stopping for Gas and Rest Stops.
P1040105A_zpsiuo2wxkh.jpg

I was to meet up with some new friends - but I got there a day before the first one could arrive. He suggested I go to Cherokee NC.
Well I did find that place and took a picture to prove it because I never found the "little gift shops" he also talked about.
P1040106A_zps8iowy5jc.jpg

So I rode around and found lots of twisty roads and ended up at a little rest area (no facilities) so I had a little lunch that I had brought with me.
One reason I have a Trunk and soft luggage.
P1040119A_zps5shemuye.jpg

Sign said I was in Bryson City NC. Not sure how I got there or where I was but thanks to Garmin I could find my way back.
P1040120A_zpsjeobq0zv.jpg

I met my friend and he was very knowledgeable about the area - so we rode some of the Blue Ridge Parkway and this is an image I took at a Scenic pullout.
P1040124A_zps8ottshc7.jpg

The next day we rode to a few water falls and this is the first one we came to.
P1040152A_zpsfe6luptv.jpg

I had him take a picture of me to prove I was there.
P1040154A_zpsfu0kob5m.jpg

On the way to the next waterfall we found this view of a lake. Good thing too as it was covered in fog on the way back. No I don't remember the name.
P1040177A_zpspxvryhdh.jpg

Here is the next waterfall we arrived at. We rode into SC and then back into NC to see this one.
P1040209A_zpsfldc7m8f.jpg

I have seen the Iron Horse Resort on the internet - but now I have been there in person. Just a quick stop to check it out.
P1040216ResizedA_zpsqghaf0wb.jpg

Another view
P1040218A_zpsojorxfcg.jpg

Next up was a trip up to Fontana Dam. The Highest one east of the Mississippi.
P1040219A_zpsfojjj45e.jpg

These were a couple of signs at the dam giving a little info.
P1040220A_zpsivgvzyes.jpg
P1040224A_zpsizrmfvbs.jpg

P1040226A_zpszg13ddoo.jpg

P1040230A_zps3ohejkrn.jpg

Here you can see they were set to repair the cracks in the cement for the Spillways
P1040232A_zpsv8jw2ctj.jpg

This is a view from the top looking away from the Dam. The parking lot below we rode to for a different view.
P1040236A_zpsfj3xxkpy.jpg

Here is a panorama of the reservoir - you can see the level is low but this was early fall time and I assume it goes up and down a lot.
P1040239A_zps9le4l6sc.jpg

Here is a panorama of my friends looking at the dam side with the reservoir on the right.
P1040240A_zpsnooqngi7.jpg

Here we are at the lower level parking area - this is looking away from the Dam - see all the stones lining the river banks?
P1040247A_zpsaqcsl0oq.jpg

Here is a sign explaining how the spillway works etc.
P1040251A_zpsgxnuebxk.jpg

P1040254A_zpsl5wwbyxx.jpg

There is the group I rode with.
P1040255A_zpsxigjnif4.jpg

Well I FINALLY made it to Deals Gaps and the beginning of the dragon.
P1040261A_zpszoyd1z6h.jpg

More proof I was there?
P1040263A_zps8zi3bp0f.jpg

I know some of you might not like the ALL RED Busa's (2004) but being colorblind I STILL SEE IT AS RED.

Remember this was the very first time I was on the Dragon. So I was a little cautious not knowing the road.
I've actually toyed with getting a junk (cheap) bike to play with - Then I wouldn't feel quite as bad if I dropped it - I think?

Not too bad for an 11 year old bike - right?
P1040264A_zpsas9wdeyj.jpg
P1040265A_zps8jhzdqfi.jpg
P1040267A_zpsehei15ir.jpg

This is a view from the (rest?) stop on the Dragon.
P1040270A_zps6yrxkmul.jpg

Here is a Ducati you don't see everyday. First one I ever saw outside of pictures.
P1040271A_zpsndzktymq.jpg

Later we rode to this - The one of the highest points around the area.
P1040282A_zpsevidq9qv.jpg

A View
P1040283A_zpsyomb1yli.jpg

Do you know what these are for? No? I was told they built these and put a wire across them (can't see in this image) so that the squirrels could cross the road
without getting hit. No more road kill I guess.......
P1040285A_zpsvj4haoty.jpg

P1040287A_zpswkwo4xr8.jpg

Can you see why they call it the blue ridge mountains?
P1040290A_zpsxvimd24w.jpg

All in all it was a good trip. Learned some things too - like I need to insulate my trailer ceiling so the rain is not so LOUD.

We road on a lot of twisty roads (almost 1000 miles this trip) so the Dragon was only special because they were closer together but not overly difficult
compared to all the other roads in the area. I'm sure it's like most things - the more you do it the better you get.
Sure, I would ride it again - Now where is the SNAKE?

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup: Great pics. Thanks for the share.

He read my mind :) The ZG1000 looks good , and the red busa is sweet . What wind screen are you running ? I notice on my Gen II with any screen I tried including MRA vario it throws bugs at my shield so I cant ride with my shield open

Very nice write up, and great pics. Im glad you had a good time on your trip here. By the way, The RED BUSA looks AWESOME, one of my favorites.

Glad you enjoyed the trip. The Dragon is great and all of the roads around it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing. And sleeping in the trailer with one's bike is more common than you might think, especially at track day events.

Looks like you had a great trip. We were there last month and are going back again next week.:thumbsup:

He read my mind :) The ZG1000 looks good , and the red busa is sweet . What wind screen are you running ? I notice on my Gen II with any screen I tried including MRA vario it throws bugs at my shield so I cant ride with my shield open

The screen is a Zero Gravity Touring screen with a Laminar Lip. For speeds 40 or less I can keep my helmet shield up and not have problems most of the time.
But there are no guarantees that a stray bug or stone won't sneak in once in awhile. Going over 40 I usually put my shield down and there are some bugs that hit it
but that is just the nature of the ride, at least with a sport bike. On my GW I almost never put the shield down and come off that bike clean.
Overall I like the look of the set up and it is better then the stock screen I had on till this spring.

Thanks for sharing. And sleeping in the trailer with one's bike is more common than you might think, especially at track day events.

^^^ True - if they have a covered trailer. Open trailers not so much. :poke: But I know not everyone can afford a covered trailer and a good one is not cheap.
I always recommend (if someone is going to buy a trailer) to get the biggest one they can afford (or tow) as you never know what the future brings and what you might
want to carry. I didn't set out to sleep in this trailer it was for hauling cargo when I bought it and then just slowly transformed to a cheap toy hauler -if I can call it that. :laugh:

For the record - I had 2 bikes, an air compressor, a refrigerator, a sink, lots of tools (just in case) fans and heaters, a twin mattress and a lot of other stuff.
One of the other guys had a trailer 4 feet shorter than mine and his bike sat outside while he slept in his trailer. Just saying I'm glad I didn't get any smaller of a trailer then I did.

Back