My Throttlemeister install

Greenbean

Registered
<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I realized very quickly that I wanted a "type" of cruise control. I have had my Busa three weeks tonight and have 1360 miles on it, She had 3 on her when I got her.

Did some research and started leaning toward a "mechanical" type device as I wanted to install it myself and didn't want to have to really get into wiring and calibrating. Also it can be removed and re-sold if needed. So I called TM and bought the unit directly from them.  20oz. Bar ends are identical in size and maybe weight as factory. Of course left one was easy to install.

Got the camming down second try on the right one...

Here we go.</span>

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>This is just the assortment of tools I had laying there before i started the little mod, I didn't use hardly any of some of the bigger tools I had out here.</span></span>

View attachment 1593038

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>So after removing the bar end weight you roll the throttle grip up about half way, I taped it down with some painters tape so i wouldn't have any residue to clean up...</span></span>

View attachment 1593039

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>This is a better angle to see the "lip" of plastic that needs to be trimmed off so the runner boot can be installed on the end of the throttle end.</span></span>

View attachment 1593040

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I meant to use a file, but ended up taking a Spyderco knife and slowly working my way around the grip to kind of cut/break the ring of plastic off. Then I did use a file to clean up the ends I missed and smooth it out.</span></span>

View attachment 1593041

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Better image after I rounded off the edges.</span>

View attachment 1593042

<span style='color:red'>]Close up...</span></span>

View attachment 1593043

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Now you install the rubber end "condom" and then mount the weight with a guess work of shims, they include 4 regular washers and two thin shims and one really thin shim. I got it spaced perfectly with one washer.  But I actually might try and add the one very thin shim. These two pics show how the unit engages the grip. It only touched the end of the rubber boot you installed and then rolled the grip back down over the rubber boot.  You can see the bronze type insert is out in the second pic and in in the first pic. I wanted you to see the difference between the two. It's nice that you can do all the checking and spacer work right there before you ever take it on the road.  

The only thing I wish they would have included in the kit was a small tube of the loc-tite they recommended. So add about 5-6 bucks o top of the @150.

Also I removed the little red stripes. They are only narrow vinyl stickers and weren't spaced perfect for my ADD/HD so I removed them.</span></span>

View attachment 1593044
View attachment 1593045

<span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Overall I am very, very pleased... I do live in the mountains of Western Carolina but on the freeway it's a joy to have something to keep the throttle where you put it regardless if you leave it there for one minute of one hour.  It takes just a few little adjustments to get it right where you want it.  But well worth it.  Caution though, you have to re-train your left hand if you want to cruise for a while with the right hand off the grip. It just feels more natural to have the right hand on the grip but feels awesome to not have to squeeze the throttle all the time.  It come shighly recommended, and you can make small adjustments to speed up a little or slow donw a little if needed.</span></span>

Is it possible to adjust it so it works as normal for when your not on the highway or do you have to force it close (turn clockwise) the throttle?

Is it possible to adjust it so it works as normal for when your not on the highway or do you have to force it close (turn clockwise) the throttle?
All you do is leave it off, which means you rotate the whole bar end forward just like closing the throttle anyway. It stays off until you grab the bar end weight and rotate it towards you as you would the throttle itself.

When it's engaged you can still move the throttle grip, it just stays put wherever you leave it.

Over_Easy,

Yes- I agree with Greenbean...

I have really enjoyed mine as well-

The way the unit works is the bar end "rolls"... twist it towards you to allow the cam inside the end to move in to physically seat against the throttle and thereby "hold" the throttle in the position. To disengage it, you simply "roll" the bar end back forward and it moves the cam away from the throttle, releasing it to move freely again. It holds well enough to keep the throttle where you want it, but also is where you can immediately move the throttle however you need to (more throttle or less throttle) in an emergency situation without disengaging the device. I have had mine for at least a year and a half and love it too...
The ONLY drawback I can say of is that with it being a "mechanical lock" is that when you set it say at "70"--- as you go uphill your speed will decrease a little bit and if you are going downhill it will cause you to speed up more than where you have it set...but evens back out as you get back on a straight level surface..But that is just how a mechanical lock works..
It really gets a
thumb_up.gif
from me though...

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I realized very quickly that I wanted a "type" of cruise control. I have had my Busa three weeks tonight and have 1360 miles on it, She had 3 on her when I got her.

Did some research and started leaning toward a "mechanical" type device as I wanted to install it myself and didn't want to have to really get into wiring and calibrating. Also it can be removed and re-sold if needed. So I called TM and bought the unit directly from them.  20oz. Bar ends are identical in size and maybe weight as factory. Of course left one was easy to install.

Got the camming down second try on the right one...

Here we go.</span>

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>This is just the assortment of tools I had laying there before i started the little mod, I didn't use hardly any of some of the bigger tools I had out here.</span></span>

View attachment 1593046

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>So after removing the bar end weight you roll the throttle grip up about half way, I taped it down with some painters tape so i wouldn't have any residue to clean up...</span></span>

View attachment 1593047

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>This is a better angle to see the "lip" of plastic that needs to be trimmed off so the runner boot can be installed on the end of the throttle end.</span></span>

View attachment 1593048

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I meant to use a file, but ended up taking a Spyderco knife and slowly working my way around the grip to kind of cut/break the ring of plastic off. Then I did use a file to clean up the ends I missed and smooth it out.</span></span>

View attachment 1593049

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Better image after I rounded off the edges.</span>

View attachment 1593050

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>]Close up...</span></span>

View attachment 1593051

<span style='color:red'>Now you install the rubber end "condom" and then mount the weight with a guess work of shims, they include 4 regular washers and two thin shims and one really thin shim. I got it spaced perfectly with one washer.  But I actually might try and add the one very thin shim. These two pics show how the unit engages the grip. It only touched the end of the rubber boot you installed and then rolled the grip back down over the rubber boot.  You can see the bronze type insert is out in the second pic and in in the first pic. I wanted you to see the difference between the two. It's nice that you can do all the checking and spacer work right there before you ever take it on the road.  

The only thing I wish they would have included in the kit was a small tube of the loc-tite they recommended. So add about 5-6 bucks o top of the @150.

Also I removed the little red stripes. They are only narrow vinyl stickers and weren't spaced perfect for my ADD/HD so I removed them.</span></span>

View attachment 1593052
View attachment 1593053

<span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Overall I am very, very pleased... I do live in the mountains of Western Carolina but on the freeway it's a joy to have something to keep the throttle where you put it regardless if you leave it there for one minute of one hour.  It takes just a few little adjustments to get it right where you want it.  But well worth it.  Caution though, you have to re-train your left hand if you want to cruise for a while with the right hand off the grip. It just feels more natural to have the right hand on the grip but feels awesome to not have to squeeze the throttle all the time.  It come shighly recommended, and you can make small adjustments to speed up a little or slow donw a little if needed.</span></span>

thx for write-up and pics. have been thinking of doing this as well.

Hey... do they have these available for the '08 yet??? If so does anybody know where to order???

Arggh, you posted this exactly 2 days too late!
smile.gif

I just installed the TM on my 2005 2 days ago. The only difference between installs is I didn't want to shave the lip so I just slipped the friction sleeve over it. Took a little doing but it went. Now I can remove the TM and return to stock if need be.

I bought mine used from here and they were the stainless ones. I roughed it up with sandpaper then hit it with black rubber-based spray and pray paint and it's perfect. It's just how I wanted it to look. I figure the paint will wear off eventually, but by then I'll probably be interested in the heavies.

On the web page they dont list the 2008, but I guess the 1999-2007 works for the 08 as well??
It's on there, on one page but not the other.  IIRC you have to access it thru the menu on the left side of the page under Suzuki.  It's not on the spread sheet page for some reason.  Ordered mine for the 08 tues just put them on tonight.  Got the heavy black and milled model.  Went on in 15 mins.

Ok, scratch that the page changed in the last few days. Click Suzuki under price lists.

http://www.throttlemeister.com/applications.html#Suzuki

This post is perfectly timed for me, mine is setting here in front of me in the box, going on here in a little while. I've already Dremeled (Dremel is one of the best toys.. er, tools I have) the lip off the end of the throttle tube when I changed the grips so it looks like it should be a breeze.
Thanks for the tutorial and pics.
ThumbsUp.gif

I roughed it up with sandpaper then hit it with black rubber-based spray and pray paint and it's perfect.  It's just how I wanted it to look.  I figure the paint will wear off eventually, but by then I'll probably be interested in the heavies.
Word,

I am thinking about taking them off to try and paint the "stainless" ring on them. I would have kept the red stickers but they weren't even and I didn't want to try and ship them back. I'll ponder it and see what I come up with.

Glad you guys can use the info.
cool.gif

I got mine from Street 'n Track (why not support a sponser???). I love 'em. When I'm out of the open road, I get a vibration in my right hand around 4,000-4,500 RPM. Puts my hand asleep in about 15 minutes. The TM really helps!

Back