My Thoughts & Experience Regarding Exhaust Systems

Well I'll stand up for the bolt on's, I love my Bolt on's because they are a 15minute job, required NO additional tuning, look great, sound great, and are holding up wonderfully.  No fuss no muss.  No custom maps, no dyno required...  

The time and energy spent into properly tuning and installing a full system for 12hp or so is kinda silly in my opinion unless your racing.  The weight saved is cool, but really besides being loud, 90% of the time those extra horses are useless.  I know it's not the popular mind set, ya know being practical but spending a Grand or two on a bike with 150hp already is mostly a mental/bench racing exercise.  
smile.gif

Folks go on and on about lightest weight by 2 lbs (Skip Breakfast).  Or 5 extra horsepower (open your throttle all the way)... On and on, I know it's fun to fiddle with the machines, but for the most part garage tuners are only trading Bottom end for Top end, and paying out the ass for the pleasure.

As for the Yoshimura pipes?  Dude, the Pipes are fuggin nearly invisible on the Busa, what are ya worried about.
smile.gif
They fit better than most, their canisters are second to none, and they are relatively affordable.  Hell get a Ti system and start worrying about how to keep em' silver.  
biggrin.gif
  But I wouldn't jump all the way oer to Muzzys.... That's like throwing bowtie parts on a Ford.  
wow.gif

So I say save your money folks, buy some slip ons, and a track school weekend and really get faster, It's most likely NOT a lack of ponies slowing ya down...  I'm not saying you personally Jink, I am saying anyone.

My .02 anyhoo...
I'm middle of the road on this one. I bought a pair of Viper oval bolt ons that cost me $370 shipped to my door. They're straight through race cans and have a nice healthy, but still reasonable sound, and made a noticeable diff in performance....not huge but noticeable. With 160 ponies on tap I don't need any more power..but the sound, looks and slight power gain along with the ease of install was way cool  
tounge.gif
 Now I wouldn't spend the same amount for bolt ons that I could get a full system for.....personally if I hadn't found the Vipers so cheap I woulda stayed stock....I don't want the hassle of a full system install, and I don't need the extra power.
But I think for folks that are happy with the power but want some more bling and sound with a slight power gain, bolt ons are just fine.
Not every one is looking for max power...so paying big bucks for a full system and the pc, and the hassle of the install just doesn't appeal to every one. To each his own I guess.
I've did tons of research on bolt ons vs full sytems including dyno sheets on tons of diff bikes...Busa included, and the typical power gain for a set of bolt ons/filter on the Busa is 4-6 ponies....full systems/filter seem to average 8-12. So as Rev said for alot of folks the ponies they gain with a full sytem don't always justify the cost/tuning/hassle. I guess its really up to the individual on what they need to feel good. I'll never have the need to install a full system....but I may turbo  
wow.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
BR1...you articulate a strong debate...and I like that...as this entire thread is basically me fighting with myself over the decision of what to replace my stock exhaust system with...a battle which I'm certain many others here have struggled with...(and it's no easy task with so many aftermarket systems for the mighty hayabusa...both bolt-on and full system)...then win, lose or draw?....everyone has a tendency to justify and defend their own final decisions...a decision which many of us can only afford to make...once...after that?....we live and ride with it....for years.

You addressed "Sound"

You addressed "Appearance" (which I love "the dual look")

and...

You addressed "Power Gains"....and I agree...5-6 more ponies on a 99ftlbs/150 horse beast is neither here nor there in the real world.....however....

The one huge bonus of the full system (over bolt-ons) that everyone who already purchased bolt-ons seems to love to "over-look" is...the weight savings of a full system...as that stock header is a freaking anchor with enough dang steel in it to build a freaking bar-b-que grill...I dunno man...anybody know how much "just the stock header" weighs?....cause I'd bet it runs a healthy 25lbs alone...which is almost like an extra full tank of gas hang'in off the front of your engine...whereas a quality set of aftermarket header pipes runs about 5 lbs...a considerable weight savings.

L8R, Bill
cool.gif

smile.gif

wow.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Now this is something I have never heard. So if you do a 4-2-1 setup you actually LOSE low end power?
Ye, me either, according to the Brock you gain low and midrange with the 4-2-1 system.
Yes you do....the 4-1 is the top end set-up. 4-2-1 is the next comprise up torque/hp wise from the stock duals which are more torque oriented.
BR1...he11...I guess I could be wrong...and I definately trust what reseach Brock has done but my experience with a muzzy 4-1 on my ZRX was the low end boosted but not alot up top and then with a yosh 4-2-1 on my FZ1 (w/ an R1 based engine) screamed up top but didn't yeild much on the lows.

So it's quite possible that I'm wrong and the busa engine just responds differently to these two exhaust system designs than what I'm accoustomed to experiencing.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Well I'll stand up for the bolt on's, I love my Bolt on's because they are a 15minute job, required NO additional tuning, look great, sound great, and are holding up wonderfully.  No fuss no muss.  No custom maps, no dyno required...  

The time and energy spent into properly tuning and installing a full system for 12hp or so is kinda silly in my opinion unless your racing.  The weight saved is cool, but really besides being loud, 90% of the time those extra horses are useless.  I know it's not the popular mind set, ya know being practical but spending a Grand or two on a bike with 150hp already is mostly a mental/bench racing exercise.  
smile.gif

Folks go on and on about lightest weight by 2 lbs (Skip Breakfast).  Or 5 extra horsepower (open your throttle all the way)... On and on, I know it's fun to fiddle with the machines, but for the most part garage tuners are only trading Bottom end for Top end, and paying out the ass for the pleasure.

As for the Yoshimura pipes?  Dude, the Pipes are fuggin nearly invisible on the Busa, what are ya worried about.
smile.gif
They fit better than most, their canisters are second to none, and they are relatively affordable.  Hell get a Ti system and start worrying about how to keep em' silver.  
biggrin.gif
  But I wouldn't jump all the way oer to Muzzys.... That's like throwing bowtie parts on a Ford.  
wow.gif

So I say save your money folks, buy some slip ons, and a track school weekend and really get faster, It's most likely NOT a lack of ponies slowing ya down...  I'm not saying you personally Jink, I am saying anyone.

My .02 anyhoo...
I'm middle of the road on this one. I bought a pair of Viper oval bolt ons that cost me $370 shipped to my door. They're straight through race cans and have a nice healthy, but still reasonable sound, and made a noticeable diff in performance....not huge but noticeable. With 160 ponies on tap I don't need any more power..but the sound, looks and slight power gain along with the ease of install was way cool  
tounge.gif
 Now I wouldn't spend the same amount for bolt ons that I could get a full system for.....personally if I hadn't found the Vipers so cheap I woulda stayed stock....I don't want the hassle of a full system install, and I don't need the extra power.
But I think for folks that are happy with the power but want some more bling and sound with a slight power gain, bolt ons are just fine.
Not every one is looking for max power...so paying big bucks for a full system and the pc, and the hassle of the install just doesn't appeal to every one. To each his own I guess.
I've did tons of research on bolt ons vs full sytems including dyno sheets on tons of diff bikes...Busa included, and the typical power gain for a set of bolt ons/filter on the Busa is 4-6 ponies....full systems/filter seem to average 8-12. So as Rev said for alot of folks the ponies they gain with a full sytem don't always justify the cost/tuning/hassle. I guess its really up to the individual on what they need to feel good. I'll never have the need to install a full system....but I may turbo  
wow.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
BR1...you articulate a strong debate...and I like that...as this entire thread is basically me fighting with myself over the decision of what to replace my stock exhaust system with...a battle which I'm certain many others here have struggled with...(and it's no easy task with so many aftermarket systems for the mighty hayabusa...both bolt-on and full system)...then win, lose or draw?....everyone has a tendency to justify and defend their own final decisions...a decision which many of us can only afford to make...once...after that?....we live and ride with it....for years.

You addressed "Sound"

You addressed "Appearance" (which I love "the dual look")

and...

You addressed "Power Gains"....and I agree...5-6 more ponies on a 99ftlbs/150 horse beast is neither here nor there in the real world.....however....

The one huge bonus of the full system (over bolt-ons) that everyone who already purchased bolt-ons seems to love to "over-look" is...the weight savings of a full system...as that stock header is a freaking anchor with enough dang steel in it to build a freaking bar-b-que grill...I dunno man...anybody know how much "just the stock header" weighs?....cause I'd bet it runs a healthy 25lbs alone...which is almost like an extra full tank of gas hang'in off the front of your engine...whereas a quality set of aftermarket header pipes runs about 5 lbs...a considerable weight savings.

L8R, Bill
cool.gif
You're in the same boat I was in Jinks.....I debated long and hard about the exhaust decision (I guess you could say I exhausted myself
wow.gif
tounge.gif
). I thought about what I wanted out of the bike, and what I was willing to do to get it. For me I came to the conclusion that the stock Busa gives me enough Holy *@#$ thrills that I didn't need more power bad enough to pay the big bucks and tear the bike apart for the full system. And I can now rest easy with my decision
wink.gif

But from what you've stated....I really think you outta go with a full system. You're wanting it...and I believe a person should never settle for anything. You own a Busa so you're not a settler
biggrin.gif
And the power gain on a full system will be quite noticeable...that, and a 16 tooth front sprocket should make you pretty darn happy!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
And you're right...alot of folks forget about the weight loss of a full system...they're focused on the power gains which are really just part of the equation.
Nowwwww...................................................which system you gonna get??
wow.gif
tounge.gif
laugh.gif
decisions decisions..........

smile.gif

wow.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

wow.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

wow.gif

tounge.gif

BTW Rev...if the mindset of bolt-ons is just for the folks who want more than "a whisper" and...for appearance?...retaining the dual exhaust "Looks"?....wouldn't that make bolt-ons the prefered mod for loud posers?....as compared to those who prefer full systems who are looking for max weight savings and max performance?

laugh.gif

Love, Bill.
tounge.gif
My Experiance over the last few years... And yeah the previous four I lived in Tampa so I know of what I speak. Is that 90% of those WITH the full systems are posers. The Bar Manglers, the White knuckled bleeders, fear in their eyes, teeter tottering around on their tricked out bikes with no clue how to ride.

No fooling bro, just look around at the next bike night and you'll see what I mean. Most of those with "Full Ti" this, "Carbon" that, and full systems are there ONLY to pose, get em' out in the street and they have NO IDEA how to ride. Take em out in a grove and watch them fade away.

Jerking themselves off with a Full system and a 15 lb weight savings is just leading to blindness. I know of only a few other folks out there that will actually twist the throttle to the stop in the first couple of gears... To the Stop mind you, a lot of folks out there on Busa's don't do this and full system be damned they are no where to be seen but at my 6-O'.

Been my experiance that the guys going on and on about needing more power, and saving weight that aren't racing, are the ones that really need to learn how to ride their machines. They think that the guy on the other busa walked away from him because he had more power... Never occurs to them that the guy had more experiance, and simply knows how to ride. Especially when we are talking about the Hyper Bikes.

Now you want riding fun? Something exciting? How about some mountain roads, I'm talking 600 miles of twisties, not some gay 13 mile stretch of Hillbilly heaven ;) I mean real twisties, real canyons that go somewhere. That's where the Busa really loves to be ridden. Hours of nothing but twisties and beauty, no lovebugs, no 95 degrees, no white hairs, and only 4 million or so people in the state, NOT 16 million folks all trying to get to fuggin WhORLANDO.
smile.gif

Come on up, it's just that nice....

BTW Rev...if the mindset of bolt-ons is just for the folks who want more than "a whisper" and...for appearance?...retaining the dual exhaust "Looks"?....wouldn't that make bolt-ons the prefered mod for loud posers?....as compared to those who prefer full systems who are looking for max weight savings and max performance?

laugh.gif

Love, Bill.
tounge.gif
My Experiance over the last few years...  And yeah the previous four I lived in Tampa so I know of what I speak.  Is that 90% of those WITH the full systems are posers.  The Bar Manglers, the White knuckled bleeders, fear in their eyes, teeter tottering around on their tricked out bikes with no clue how to ride.  

No fooling bro, just look around at the next bike night and you'll see what I mean.  Most of those with "Full Ti" this, "Carbon" that, and full systems are there ONLY to pose, get em' out in the street and they have NO IDEA how to ride. Take em out in a grove and watch them fade away.  

Jerking themselves off with a Full system and a 15 lb weight savings is just leading to blindness.  I know of only a few other folks out there that will actually twist the throttle to the stop in the first couple of gears...  To the Stop mind you, a lot of folks out there on Busa's don't do this and full system be damned they are no where to be seen but at my 6-O'.  

Been my experiance that the guys going on and on about needing more power, and saving weight that aren't racing, are the ones that really need to learn how to ride their machines.  They think that the guy on the other busa walked away from him because he had more power...  Never occurs to them that the guy had more experiance, and simply knows how to ride. Especially when we are talking about the Hyper Bikes.

Now you want riding fun?  Something exciting?  How about some mountain roads, I'm talking 600 miles of twisties, not some gay 13 mile stretch of Hillbilly heaven ;)  I mean real twisties, real canyons that go somewhere.  That's where the Busa really loves to be ridden.  Hours of nothing but twisties and beauty, no lovebugs, no 95 degrees, no white hairs, and only 4 million or so people in the state, NOT 16 million folks all trying to get to fuggin WhORLANDO.  
smile.gif

Come on up, it's just that nice....
ices_rofl.gif
my gawd Rev you are an animal....what the hell would we do here without you
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back