My take on my new to me goldwing trike

groran1000

Registered
Well, I got some stuff sorted out with trike and took out for a ride. The first thing I noticed while pulling a trailer, I was getting about 25mpg. Figured this later after going 100 or so miles. Next, going around left-handed curves was kinda erratic and uneven like, not smooth, jerkee like while right-handed curves were smooth and fluid. Beats me as to why. Now the worst thing is, you always have to feed minute amounts of input and the steering is really sensitive as it has the 5 or 6-degree rake or as they call it, power steering only needing tiny inputs. Feels like if you panicked and fed more than a little input, the thing would go out of control. Not nearly as easy as two wheels. My right upper shoulder was in some kind of pain after 100 miles. Thank God the thing has cruise control because while having to twist the throttle and steer, it was a lot harder to do. On cruise control, I could kinda just hang with my hands open and rest some. Next, even going slow around turns feels like it's going to topple over. I know I need to get used to it, but it's kinda rough. It has rear independent suspension. The ride is much rougher than on two-wheel Goldwing and as far as power, it's a dog, slow to pick up speed. I know cause I have a 2010 two-wheel wing. I wished I could have borrowed one for a day and tried it first because I wouldn't have purchased a trike. My 2 cents on the matter, I hope after I get used to it, my mind may change.

If it has a limited slip differential that might explain the tugging in the corners. My car does that but I only feel it while turning very slowly. Fueling should be correctable but is your seating posture similar to your Wing? I’d think too that cornering with any speed (would) take getting used to since it (is) a trike but, I followed one thru some corners one day all up hill but it was fast and looked quite solid (trust worthy). :D

I ride occasionally with some trikes but they are 2 up front one in back. They seem to keep up pretty good though. They are ok but I'm curious, what were you expecting from a 3-wheeled GW?

I wished I could have borrowed one for a day and tried it first because I wouldn't have purchased a trike.

DOH! :banghead: Don't sweat it if at all possible groran. Give it a while, sell it if you have too.
Rubb.

Love it or get rid of it I always say. Give it another month and if it still bothers you swap it for something even cooler. Have you tried a Slingshot.... I know people hate them but when I rented one I had a freaking blast

Love it or get rid of it I always say. Give it another month and if it still bothers you swap it for something even cooler. Have you tried a Slingshot.... I know people hate them but when I rented one I had a freaking blast
ya...get a "Slingshot" very cool. Stang,where did you find someone crazy enuff to rent you one of them?

Sorry @Slowstang305 could not resist.

Actually when my knees/back/shoulder/hip/foot/etc finally give out permanently I would get a Slingshot.
Kids and chics,and some dudes, already say I'm riding Batman's bike.May as well end up with the Batmobile.

"I am Batman."

Don't feel bad bro! I'm the biggest sucker here with my BMW K160 purchase. Bike sucked, paint popped off and BMW said we will consider replacing the wheel (consider?) then the transmission was recalled and they said we don't know how to fix it. 6 months later they fixed it and wouldn't even throw in an oil change. Then when I went to trade it in they said they don't want the bike!

Someone will want that GW trike. I see a lot of them around.

Good luck.

ya...get a "Slingshot" very cool. Stang,where did you find someone crazy enuff to rent you one of them?
View attachment 1622164

View attachment 1622166

Sorry @Slowstang305 could not resist. View attachment 1622167

Actually when my knees/back/shoulder/hip/foot/etc finally give out permanently I would get a Slingshot.
Kids and chics,and some dudes, already say I'm riding Batman's bike.May as well end up with the Batmobile.
View attachment 1622169

View attachment 1622170

"I am Batman."
Riddle me this Batman. Who was spotted riding a turbo busa in green, pink, and with loafers on going around saying he is Batman? :poke:
1593631538272.png

View attachment 1622164

View attachment 1622166

Sorry @Slowstang305 could not resist. View attachment 1622167

View attachment 1622169

View attachment 1622170

"I am Batman."
I want to see a crazy sling shot or trike. 400 hp+!

so you mean one of these fine motorcycles

Sad to hear Gor. Though i am not surprised. I had a few buddies who had similar complaints about trikes. Thats why i bought my wife a can-am Ryker insted. She loves it.

Don't feel bad bro! I'm the biggest sucker here with my BMW K160 purchase. Bike sucked, paint popped off and BMW said we will consider replacing the wheel (consider?) then the transmission was recalled and they said we don't know how to fix it. 6 months later they fixed it and wouldn't even throw in an oil change. Then when I went to trade it in they said they don't want the bike!

Someone will want that GW trike. I see a lot of them around.

Good luck.
One of my distant neighbours bought a 2020 S1000RR last fall and just got rid of it...

He said it was plagued by problems and as the nearest BMW dealership is over an hour away, he just got sick and tired of running back and forth with it in a trailer. He said when it was on, it was a real beast, but the trick was to keep it out of the dealership. Too bad because it was a great looking bike (blue and white M model).

Back