My Take On My Brand New Bmw 1000rr

groran1000

Registered
Bought the 1000rr a month ago and put about 1200 miles, yes that much. First of all, the discomfort of the beast. I'm 61 and this thing has about killed me!! The seating positon is better than the gixxer 1000 for sure. I know, add the heli bars and the adjustable rearset. I guess I'm used to the busa. Suspension: This thing will beat you to death. If you don't have back problems, you will. Tried all the adjusting I can, yes I set the SAG front and back. Brakes: Hands down the best brakes I've ever felt. Love the adjustable front brake lever for short movement too. Vibration: This thing would satisfy a french whore in 5 minutes. It fricken vibrates that much at ALL rpms and real bad at 4500rpm. The right bar side vibrates 2 times a bad as the left side, the throttle side, darn it. Thank BMW for putting a cruise control, without it, I would have to sell the bike!! Even with the CC, I have to shift positions to fingers rather than grip and using my palms too real soon in the ride and often. Power: Wow, a rocket for sure, but not until you get about 7K rpm, after that hold on, because by the time you get to second gear and look down, your at 145. I know the busa can do that too, but this bike will be in your mirror close to you in any situation with both stock bikes with the speed limitation ON. Very stable at high speed but not nearly like my busa which we all know gets more stable with higher speeds. Wind blast: It will blow your head hard and only in a low tuck will get any relief even with a double bubble shield. Mileage: Sucks on MPG. getting about 32mpg getting on it occasionally, but mostly cruising speed limit. Busa gets 41mpg with same style of riding. Electronics: Has to be the best I've seen and used and near the best if not the best I've read about online. Has track mode with lean angle sensor. The ABS is outstanding, along with wheelie control and stoppie control. All this really helps with safety along with full adjustability all all levels. I really like the intervention of the brakes giving the front or rear brake some intervention when either is used, that's real cool. Has launch control, clutchless shifting UP and DOWN, of course modes and all the modes have been upgraded to the PRO versions. Also my bike has the forged HP4 wheels which I read has much better control than cast wheels. I would have to put cast wheels with same tires to tell the difference as I don't have a comparison with anything else. Headlight at night is super good as on low bean covers all of a two lane highway along with the shoulder and some pasture which is great for seeing maybe a wild animal on the side of road in the the pasture to possibly slow down. Don't like the signal light, wish they would integrate them in the mirrors. Beautiful tri color or motorsport color, love it! When moving the bike around garage, it feels like a bicycle compared to moving the busa around. Love the 90 degree valve stems, much easier to check and put air in tire. Says to use premium gas. I switched to regular and don't feel any difference. I don't like as there is no fairing covering the headlight plugs and wires, while on busa has the neat looking black fairing covering all that up, looks cheap to me. seat is a good or better than the busa, slides easy too for curves. Engine rattles like a jar of marbles, very noisy. Man, the heat that comes off of this bike, will burn your leg right above your ankle, it's horrible. BMW says well we have to get that 200 horsepower of heat away some how. Well the busa has a lot of power too and Suzuki has managed to direct the heat away much better than this bike.Final PERSONAL take on this bike, track it!!! I'll probably sell it and get me a new busa when it comes out. But I will try it on the track at least once before I do sell it. BMW gave me a free track day at Pomona raceway with purchase of new bike. Don't flame me and say I don't know what I'm talking about as it is MY take as an older rider and how I perceived things. I hope this helps anyone else thinking about getting one.

Thank you so much! I often drool over these bikes on youtube and not to lie, but hearing this from a busa owner gives me confidence to as they say "forget about it". Think ill go a different route next year. Thanks again for the honest review.:beerchug:

Sounds as uncomfortable as my gsxr600 was. Hope you can try it at the track soon.

Other than the discomfort and vibration, how's the ride experience compared to your busa? Wheelies, handling, acceleration? Will it pull away from your busa at higher speed? Too close to tell...?

Well I have ridden several BMW 1000's and I didn't exactly get that. The ride position is remarkably comfortable for a full sport bike. Generally speaking sport bikes are made to give you control of the bike at high speed so if you buy one to putt around it's not going to be as comfortable as a touring bike. If you want a brutal ride try a Ducati Panigale! Also sport bikes don't worry too much about wasting power and weight to mitigate vibration. So they are generally buzzy. Frankly, the Busa is far from a smooth bike, but the vibrations are part of the charm. One thing I have learned about good suspension is that it doesn't make bumps disappear, it just makes them less jarring. More importantly good suspension maintains control over bumps. After all, if you are going fast you want to know a bump was there, that's all a part of "feel."

Comparing a Busa to a BMW 1000 is pretty much impossible. They are two totally different bikes for two totally different purposes. The Busa is simply no match for the BMW when turning and going fast on the road and especially on the track. The Busa may be faster in a straight line, not sure on that one. But provided you have long arms the Busa is a much more friendly place to be.

The ride experience on the busa is great and much better than the bmw. I don't wheelie, so. Over all handling, it the BMW is a better bike. Acceleration will be close. The gen2 busa has I think about 180 at the wheel, so does the bmw. Guys, I rode the bmw exclusively for a month. But when I got back on my busa, I said oh my GOD, what a smooth, quiet comfy bike. There is no way I'm giving up the busa, no way. Some may occasionally ride a 1000RR, but to ride it all the time, is too much for me. That's why I said it's my take as I have health issues. I'm sure a young snapper kid wouldn't mind any of the things I talked about. Don't get me wrong, the 1000RR is a great bike for the track and it would run circles around the busa because it's so nimble and rides almost like a bicycle. It also has a 3 year warranty, man that is a great comfort too. Like all bikes it has issues, just thought I would share what I found, hope all this helps. Randy

Thanks. Wish I could buy one. I really think the S1000rr might be the bike if I could get another. I like the looks of the H2 but it's a disappointment. Still selling them but if I paid for a supercharged 1000 cc sportbike, it really has to destroy every other 1000 cc sportbike or what's the point? The NA liter bikes keep up with it or sometimes beat it and they are a lot cheaper and handle better.

Well I have ridden several BMW 1000's and I didn't exactly get that. The ride position is remarkably comfortable for a full sport bike. Generally speaking sport bikes are made to give you control of the bike at high speed so if you buy one to putt around it's not going to be as comfortable as a touring bike. If you want a brutal ride try a Ducati Panigale! Also sport bikes don't worry too much about wasting power and weight to mitigate vibration. So they are generally buzzy. Frankly, the Busa is far from a smooth bike, but the vibrations are part of the charm. One thing I have learned about good suspension is that it doesn't make bumps disappear, it just makes them less jarring. More importantly good suspension maintains control over bumps. After all, if you are going fast you want to know a bump was there, that's all a part of "feel."

Comparing a Busa to a BMW 1000 is pretty much impossible. They are two totally different bikes for two totally different purposes. The Busa is simply no match for the BMW when turning and going fast on the road and especially on the track. The Busa may be faster in a straight line, not sure on that one. But provided you have long arms the Busa is a much more friendly place to be.

You guys seriously need to go back to the gym, talking about comfortable and not so comfortable.

I had my a$$ on this for about 5 hours today on a social ride and when I came home I actually felt better than when I started.:moon::moon:

No suspension either and 125psi in the tires.:moon::moon:

seat_zpsirjevtfk.jpg

On a more serious note the Busa is a heavy bike, I ride mine on the back of my truck often and it is a job to load it. Also, every time I park in the garage it goes on stands and the process always makes me a bit nervous.

My take: Busa is a mature rider's vehicle, all the new 1K's are for the young ones.

My take: Busa is a mature rider's vehicle, all the new 1K's are for the young ones.
I hear the really young ones aren't able to afford 600s anymore. If you want one, get it before they quit making them or you'll have to buy one from a 7 year old!

I hear the really young ones aren't able to afford 600s anymore. If you want one, get it before they quit making them or you'll have to buy one from a 7 year old!

That's all relative. Where I am going, "really young" could mean 50. :mad:

You guys seriously need to go back to the gym, talking about comfortable and not so comfortable.

I had my a$$ on this for about 5 hours today on a social ride and when I came home I actually felt better than when I started.:moon::moon:

No suspension either and 125psi in the tires.:moon::moon:

View attachment 1577655

On a more serious note the Busa is a heavy bike, I ride mine on the back of my truck often and it is a job to load it. Also, every time I park in the garage it goes on stands and the process always makes me a bit nervous.

I only see room for one nut....well, I mean other than the rider!
Troy

TRACK IT

I have a '16 motorsports premium, which I got to replace my track bike (K7 Gixxer 1K). The BMW is a BEAST on the track, and the rider aids can help many who get too heavy-handed with the throttle. Two things I don't like:

1. The stock rearset- to - seat length is shorter than my busa or my gixxer, so for an old guy like me, getting my feet up on them and shifting around is more difficult.

2. The stock seat is at a bad angle that pushes you uncomfortably towards the tank, and you have to work to stay off it. I replaced mine with a aftermarket seat that is flat and that made a lot of difference.

Stock to stock, an S1000RR will outrun a GenII Busa, but they are NOT made for the same purpose.

I am still faster on my gixxer than I am on the BMW (I think because I know how much it costs if I crash it)...We are seeing a lot of R1's on the track right now, they say the R1 turns in better.

Aftermarket plastics (If the scheme looks weird to you)

1549086.jpg

Back