My Starter doesnt have much time....

BAND-AIDS??? Insurance is more like it! It's a lot cheaper than the alternative. Get the bigger amp battery too. It's more band-aids, I meant, insurance!:laugh:

sleeving the hole and not fixing the cause (ie: eliminating why the starter can kick back) is a band aid.

There is no need for a larger battery on a stock bike.

yeah what suzuki4life means is that the kick back problem will be gone if i upgrade to the 03 setup. Thanks for all your help guys.. I guess I should tear it apart and see what I can see..

if you have a service manual....follow it for the 03 assembly

this post has 2 links...each shows what parts your bike currently has...and what the 03 setup consists of

The outer housings and covers are the same...

differences are in the inner gears/parts and the starter itself.

The covers are not the same the inner is notched and the outter has a bump in it to allow the deeper sprag to not hit the cover and pin is longer..

when your ready to do it right call me,buy the parts I will walk you thru the teardown and reinstall...if you find all that for $300,hope it all works when done..

ok but 500 is crazy.... Ive seen them going for 300 on psycho bike..

Will you work with me? I know you can do better than 500.. I mean I just bought this stupid bike and it seems like everything costs 500 stinking dollars.

I'll pass,thanks for offer though.

If you can't fix it hit up the dealer for the parts,I'm sure they won't charge much to install them.

Last edited:
Hope you get it straightened out. Strange some bikes have problems some don't. I've never had a problem with my 2000 model's starter. Go figure.???

The covers are not the same the inner is notched and the outter has a bump in it to allow the deeper sprag to not hit the cover and pin is longer..

when your ready to do it right call me,buy the parts I will walk you thru the teardown and reinstall...if you find all that for $300,hope it all works when done..

part number 11380-24F01 (inner cover) shows capable with 99-03 (which would make no sense FYI.

part number 11380-24F20 (inner cover) shows capable with 99-08

Odds are you have the first cover

part number 11382-24F00 (outer cover) shows capable with 99-08

part number 11382-24F20 (outer cover) shows capable with 99-08

Odds are you have the first cover...so yes Daniel is probably correct.

As I have said before...buy an entire unit and swap it on. You already said you have a manual. Worse case scenario, you buy the wrong parts and reinstall your existing stuff until the right ones arrive.

If you buy an entire unit from an 04+ there should be no way of getting the wrong parts. But things happen....

I'll pass,thanks for offer though.

If you can't fix it hit up the dealer for the parts,I'm sure they won't charge much to install them.

There is no need to talk to me that way. I am not a little kid. If you do not want to help besides trying to sell me a 500.00 starter that is fine. No need for smart ass comments. I have done nothing but throw money at this bike since I bought it, and I was asking if you would work on that 500.00 price a bit. If you cant FINE... but this is a FORUM for people to help each other not just your personal market.

My god man, I have done nothing but talk you up in other threads and to other people on here.

Hope you get it straightened out. Strange some bikes have problems some don't. I've never had a problem with my 2000 model's starter. Go figure.???

It'll happen if you keep tryin to start your bike with a weak battery. I never had a problem till I tried starting is with a bad battery then BAM! major damage.

It'll happen if you keep tryin to start your bike with a weak battery. I never had a problem till I tried starting is with a bad battery then BAM! major damage.

I've had many dead batts on my bike. Early this year I bought some powerlet heated clothing along with an electric water pump and it drained my batt on many occasions. Again strange how it happens to some and not others. :thumbsup:

Thats cool. When it happened to me I knew right away that the gear blew apart.
It did not sound good when it went so I did not even try to crank it again. Happened when the bike was 5+ yrs old.

tore it all apart and everything looked fine.. the clutch was a little dirty inside, but not bad but i roughed it up with some 800 grit and cleaned everything out really good.. all those little bushings in the clutch pack thingy, and put it back together and it seems ok for now.. so weird....

Back