-- My son's HERO & his adventure in Alaska --

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
I posted this on Facebook when it happened, but not here. Truth be told, it was a really scary experience for me since he was vacationing in Alaska with his father. This happened two weeks ago, but I've been trying to get details of what exactly occurred AND who saved my son when he fell through the ice. Today, thanks to Facebook, I've found the guy that went in the icy waters after him, then carried him to safety.

Anyway, the story - my sons were vacationining in Alaska with their father a couple of weeks ago. They had the chance to help with the Yukon Quest by riding on snowmobiles with their Dad and Aunt, leading the dog sleds from their holding areas to the starting line. My youngest son, David, got way too cold before he could even join the effort, but my other son Sam was up for the ride. He was with his Aunt when their snowmobile's ski broke through the ice on a river, turned over and Sam went in the icy waters. It took 3 people to pull him out as his heavy winter gear saturated with water. One guy jumped in the water to help him, and had he not done that, I don't want to think about what might have been. Sam was carried off by two guys to safety, 911 was called, EMT arrived. His boots, having filled with water, froze almost immediately in the freezing cold, and his pants froze solid while he was trying to walk. His body temp dropped to 77 degrees, but was rising with the help of everyone around him. He's OK, but let me tell you, getting that call from Alaska while I'm sitting in Virginia scared the crap out of me...

The day I got the news, I scoured the web for any info on a boy falling through the ice during the start of the Yukon Quest, but I couldn't find a single story. I joined a FB site, the official Yukon Quest site, and hoped to see banter about it, but nothing...finally, today, nearly two weeks later, there's a story about a hero named Olaf that pulled a boy from the river after his snowmobile broke through the ice...I've since found his email and contacted him to thank him for saving my son.

Just wanted to share this here because there are truly selfless people in the world, and I'm so thankful for him. He's my son's hero :bowdown:

Olaf_sm.jpg

Olaf_article.jpg

Wow. As a dad I'm in tears reading that! Nice to know there are still modern day heroes.

Isn't it?! I'm so thrilled to put a face to this story...my ex hasn't shed a lot of light on any of what happened, so I've been trying to piece it all together since the day I got the call. This has made my day :thumbsup:

You said you got a call from Ak but was it from your son?
Have you spoken to him? Is he in reality of how close he came or just brushing it off as a young lad would?
'Dont worry mom. I got a lil wet that's all. Calm down.' :)

You said you got a call from Ak but was it from your son?
Have you spoken to him? Is he in reality of how close he came or just brushing it off as a young lad would?
'Dont worry mom. I got a lil wet that's all. Calm down.' :)

Yep, I found out about all of this when my son, Sam, called me to tell me what he'd just been through...he sounded kind of shocked by it all, but relatively calm. What upset me, and still upsets me, is that had I not asked to speak to his grandmother, not a single adult caring for my son bothered to call me and tell me what happened or even discuss it. My ex was ahead of Sam on a different snowmobile when he fell in, so he didn't hear the news until a while later. The aunt that was carrying Sam left him with complete strangers (and heros IMHO) to go finish leading the dogsleds. THAT is something I do not understand...she was his guardian at that time, and the only next of kin around... ??? I was certain once Sam's Dad got word, he'd rush right back to check on Sam, but I was wrong...he kept leading dogs and even helped with a 300 race that was starting later in the day, THEN he finally got around to checking on our son. His excuse - he was OK, and in good hands. :banghead:

Anyway, it's all a mess, so I've been trying to get details of exactly what happened. My son doesn't realize just how dangerous a situation he was really in, and I've made it clear to him that the adults caring for him should have done better, but for reasons I don't understand, they left him to strangers and went on about their day :wtf:

Thank goodness those strangers were amazing people!! :)

He's home now...and he's doing well. :thumbsup:

i saw the story when you posted on Facebook but this is awesome being able to put a person to the other end of the story...it takes a great person to put theselves at risk to help a stranger for no other reason than they see someone who needs their assistance! :bowdown:

I'm so glad your son is OK. That would scare the crap out of me. What a close brush with....

Olaf is a true hero.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

Scary!! I can imagine how you felt. Glad he is fine and kudos to Olaf!!!

Planning a Dual Sport bike ride through Alaska in June, starting the planning now, never been there, don't know much.

thats awesome, what a guy Olaf must be to do something like that, he has my respect, glad your boy is ok that would have to just drive you nutz hearing about it and not being able to be there wow, cant imagine. Way to go OLaf:thumbsup:

OH wow, I didn't know all of the story just saw what you posted on FB. This blows my mind. I can't imagine your x not being there for your son and not calling you to give details, that's really crappy. Thank god Olaf was there. He looks like a guy you would want with you in the great outdoors.

Two cheers for Olaf! :thumbsup:

Wow, that's way to close to home - must have been a scary experience. Glad your son is OK, and thanks to Olaf and the others that helped him :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone!! Seems a few here and family on Facebook are reposting this, so I thank you all for doing that. I want Olaf to see he's appreciated!!

I spoke to Sam earlier today (he and his Dad are home sick), asked him to tell his Dad to check his email because I'd sent this info about Olaf to him for Sam to see. Sam told me "Oh, we have a bunch of photos of the guys that helped me!" Well damn, I've only been trying to find out ANYTHING I can since the day this occurred...guess this is the downside of divorce; complete lack of sharing important info with the parent that wasn't around :banghead:

Doesn't matter, just glad I'm finding out info now...

Glad you are getting some answers and able to thank the HEROS that helped Sam. I bet you are still hugging him. I know, if had a son, I wouldn't let him go until he said Mommy I can't breath. :laugh: As for the dad and aunt, no excuses for that. Just so happy and thankful Sam is OK. :please:

Glad you are getting some answers and able to thank the HEROS that helped Sam. I bet you are still hugging him. I know, if had a son, I wouldn't let him go until he said Mommy I can't breath. :laugh: As for the dad and aunt, no excuses for that. Just so happy and thankful Sam is OK. :please:

Yep, it's made my day, my week!! I get my Sammy tonight and will hug him even tighter than last week :hug: All of the sudden a vague story from a child is real, but surely not with the help of those vacationing with him :laugh: ...no worries on the other adults with Sam that day; no time to dwell on that. I'm just thankful he's OK and glad to put a face to the hero that saved my son!! :bowdown:

Back