my pup puked

teamorion22

Registered
I have a 9 week old apbt. A couple days ago i think she ate a little fast and puked. she was still playful and her nose was wet. she seemed perfectly normal. today i took her to her breeder 2 get another shot and dewormed. in the car she puked 5 times. Hopefully just motion sickness. she seems playful and normal. in the first puke i saw some grass and i know dogs can not digest grass so maybe she made her self puke. i dont know. any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. i will watch the situation closely
michael

Parvo is a killer in pups, bully breeds are especially susceptible to it. They eat grass if their stomach is upset. May take her to the vet n get her checked out.

thank u 4 the input. she has had all her shots including the parvo prevention one. and she has been only at my house and the breeders. she hasnt been around any other dogs or places where there are other dogs. can she still get it? there wasn't much grass, maybe one or 2 blades

One tip I learned about traveling with dogs (young and old) do not feed them much, they can handle the hunger but they don't travel well on full or even half full stomachs.
Oh and about the eating grass - they just like the taste and is not an indication of anything wrong.
Just my 2c
thanks
Bubba

My vet used to tell me the same thing on eating the grass, that they would do it if there stomach was upset, and talked like it was no big deal, my lab has done it off and on for years and never hurt him yet. i used to worry about it but i guess he just does it when he needs to puke and clean himself out i dont know.

Last edited:
My vet used to tell me the same thing on eating the grass, that they would do it if there stomach was upset, and talked like it was no big deal, my lab has done it off and on for years and never hurt him yet. i used to worry about it but i guess he just does it when he needs to puke and clean himself out i dont know.

Agree...my Rottie does the same.

Our Siberian has a super sensitive stomach. If we give her any "people" food she will more than likely get sick and throw up. She was on Eukanuba first, then Science Diet, and now we have her on Blue Buffalo and it seems to work well. Agreed on traveling, don't feed them if you know ahead of time on traveling. If I know we're taking a trip the next morning, their food at night will be the last meal they get until we get to our destination, or out of the car for a while. We've taken multiple trips from TX to FL and they travel great, just need water, and they sleep a lot. Sometimes we'll sneak them a few french fries from along the way. :) Also animals do get motion sickness. Might want to look into that as well. On the upset stomach thing, they will not only try to eat grass but whatever they can mouthe or get ahold of. Our siberian also chewed up a dining room chair and a couple of cabinet corners. I guess she thought wood splinters would make her feel better. Just keep a good eye on her, she'll try to let you know if she is in need of assistance. :)

Our Siberian has a super sensitive stomach. If we give her any "people" food she will more than likely get sick and throw up. She was on Eukanuba first, then Science Diet, and now we have her on Blue Buffalo and it seems to work well. Agreed on traveling, don't feed them if you know ahead of time on traveling. If I know we're taking a trip the next morning, their food at night will be the last meal they get until we get to our destination, or out of the car for a while. We've taken multiple trips from TX to FL and they travel great, just need water, and they sleep a lot. Sometimes we'll sneak them a few french fries from along the way. :) Also animals do get motion sickness. Might want to look into that as well. On the upset stomach thing, they will not only try to eat grass but whatever they can mouthe or get ahold of. Our siberian also chewed up a dining room chair and a couple of cabinet corners. I guess she thought wood splinters would make her feel better. Just keep a good eye on her, she'll try to let you know if she is in need of assistance. :)

Man, that sounds exactly like my Sibe's in every detail, and I too feed them Blue Buffalo.
But one of mine still has the runnies and requires extra medicine.
I too sneak them the Fries once it a while and they love it:laugh:

I also went through the same exact diet regiment and ended at Blue Buffalo.
I have also heard of the raw diet but just did not seem to fit.
Bubba

LOL, must run in the breed?? Also her puking could be attributed to anxiety from being in the car, something new to her and she doens't know what it is?? Our Siberian has also had bowel issues. We feed both of our dogs lettuce, carrots, apples, bananas, plain yogurt, or anything organic/natural that isn't fried or has oily/greasy stuff in it. She is in good shape now, mostly because of my animal loving wife. :)

Dogs do in fact eat a lot of grass if they have a foul stomach. They do it because it helps induce vomiting. It's a natural instinct. I've have several dogs, and they have all done it.

You might want to try a dog food that doesn't contain corn gluten. Some dogs have corn allergies. It can be identified by scratching, vomiting, rash and diarrhea. Any of the about symptoms can be present. Try a dog food that is based on lamb and rice. I feed both of my dogs Nutro Ultra. A 40 lb bag feeds both of my dogs for 4 weeks. Both dogs are about 55 lbs.

Whatever you do, NO PEOPLE FOOD. Dogs digestive tracks don't cope with non-bland food very well. They also don't tolerate changes in food brands smoothly. Mix the food together, lightly at first. Increase the new food as you decrease the old food. Do this over 7 to 10 days.

Back