My oldest learned alot about America today

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
My father takes my oldest son on a trip somewhere every summer for 2 weeks. They have rafted the Grand Canyon, gone to Mesa Verda, climbed mountains and been all over the midwest and West coast. This year my dad thought Evan (16 in 3 weeks) was old enough to appreciate Washington DC and they headed off last Wednesday on their way... While we all wish there were no need for a holiday like Memorial Day their couldn't be a better time to be in Washington than this weekend. My son was able to see the air and space museum, Museum of natural history, they say the Lincoln Memorial, washington monument, reflecting pool, Vietnam Wall, WWII Memorial and the White House.

Of all the things my son has seen he called me tonight to ask me a question. My father took him to Arlington National Cemetary to see the changing of the guards and when they were coming in the gate guess who was there... The church from Kansas that protest all the funerals was at the gate to Arlington spewing their filth and hate... Across the street was a group of people counter protesting and singing the national anthem, and other patriotic songs.

The question my son had for me was very simple but I couldn't answer it, he wanted to know "Whats wrong with people?" he just couldn't believe that someone would say the things that this group was saying at the door of one of the most sacred places to our country... He went inside and said he was very humbled by all the flags waving at the graves, my dad told him that those headstones and flags were just a fraction of the men that died for our country over the years... My son was able to see the changing of the guards (Which I saw when I was his age with my father).

He is at the age where most of his values are set, his beliefs are confirmmed and today he was exposed to a side that sickened him, looks like we raised him right......

God Bless this country....

He then told me that they were headed to Bowling Green Kentucky to the Corvette Museum tomorrow, he is excited!
CAp

Last edited:
Tell your son that "evil wins if good men do nothing"....and that those men and women lining the rows of that cemetery died for the right for those people to run their mouths...kinda ironic, isn't it. Those good people on the other side of the street were 'doing something'....

I buried one of my soldiers there...I thought of him this weekend...RIP SFC Robert V. Derenda, USAR....

I am so glad for him and you also. To have a farther that would take the time to do things like that must be amazing. I am glad he is enjoying it. Tell your dad thanks from me :thumbsup::bowdown: Sounds like you have done a great job on your end also.:thumbsup: My hat off to the both of you.

He is a great Kid Capn......and he is surrounded by great people.:thumbsup:

My dad is pretty neat thats for sure... He has done and seen more in his life than I ever will...

That is pretty cool Cap. I look upon my 14 year old and wonder what kind of man he will become. I hope I can influence him in the right way.

cool beans!

Neat trip, the museum of natural history is awesome.

He has had some pretty good teachers. He is building life long memorys with his grandpa!

I had a Corvette that was one of the first to roll off the line there. They opened the plant in mid year production in 1981 moving production from St Louis. I think they only built 81s in BG for 2-3 months.

That sounds like a great trip! I remember the first time I heard a Sentinel yell at someone for talking at the Tomb of the Unknown... scared the crap outta me!

They're lots of idiots in this world, he's just seen a fraction of them.

That's really cool of your dad to do that. It's a shame those Kansas church people don't appreicate the freedoms they have. Maybe if they had someone like your Father they would think differently.

Glad to hear that your son was able to experience this for himself. I have ran into a few of these radical hate protesters from Kansas. It is just amazing what comes out of their mouths!! It takes a real person to be able to control yourself and not do anything to them.

Back