My newest mod

vman1300

Never Forgotten
I finally went and started my Brembo brake upgrade. I went with a 19 x 20 radial pump.

The mod was fairly easy. Working at a 4 line dealer really helps when you are looking for items to mount a reservoir on a bike that did not come with one.

For the oil cup, I went to Yamaha for an item from a R6 and the mount is from a Kawasaki Zx636. It was a fairly easy bolt on. I just had to flatten the mounting bracket from Kawasaki.

I was able to reuse my stock line and I used a banjo bolt with a built in pressure swith for the rear brake light.

As for riding, the brakes are much firmer and stop with less effort.

I will be at VIR for a full report in 2 weeks.

I also made the swith to DOT 5.1 fluid which has a higher boiling point than DOT 4.

If any one is interested in the part numbers for the items I used, LMK.

<!--EDIT|vman1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151240831 -->

brembo1.jpg

For the technically dumb, (me) why is that better than the stock one? I know that brembo is one of the big dawg (if not the top) in braking parts but what makes that one better?

Don

The radial pump provides more pressure to the stock calipers. The busa is a big bike plus I am 340. I need all the break help I can get.

Plus, up next will be a set of radial calipers.

I have a Brembo on my Duc 996 and really don't care for the lever (can't get my knucles to clear for 1-2 finger pull). Same with yours?

Plus, up next will be a set of radial calipers.
might just be easier to swap out front ends for an 06 gixxer 1K.
If the tubes are the same diameter....it shouldn't take much.

But that would toss out the work you have had done to your internals for your valving.

Just seems more "track-ready" than a radial adapt kit...

You didn't say which way you were going to get the radials specifically.

I took the Busa into work today and went the long way to the office.

1st impressions once the tires were warmed up......OMG! This thing stops much faster now.

Before the swap, I had already installed braided lines and DP race pads. I had also changed the fluid before the Spring Gap trip.

I am due for a set of pads before my nexy track day, but I did not change those. I wanted to keep all variables as close as possible.

I did upgrade to DOT 5.1 fluid that has a higher boiling point than DOT 4. On the way in, I made my evaluation before the fluid was hot, ie just a couple of quick stops.

I cant wait to get this bike back out on the track and see the high speed, 100 mph+, braking improvement.

In the end it is a worth while mod for those looking for better braking if you have already installed lines and pads.

If you are happy with the braking of a Busa set up with lines and pads, there is no need to spend the money.

But if you enjoy a track day or three and push hard in the mountains, it is worth the money.

My total investment was under $300.00 plus my time.

<!--EDIT|vman1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151506673 -->

Yo V, I was also thinking of doing the same thing, my question is, do you have to buy all the other components, far as brackets and the likes or is the radial master cylinder a bolt on with existing parts?

Yo V, I was also thinking of doing the same thing, my question is, do you have to buy all the other components, far as brackets and the likes or is the radial master cylinder a bolt on with existing parts?
It is not a direct bolt on, you will need more than just the cylinder.

This is what I used:

Kawasaki:

11053-1545 bracket

Yamaha

5SL-25894-20-00 oil cup
5VY-25854-00-00 diaphragm
5VY-25855-00-00 diaphragm bushing
5VY-25852-00-00 cap
5VY-2589G-00-00 holder
5VY-2589H-00-00 screw
90183-050A0-00 spring nut
2C0-2589E-00-00 hose
90467-120A3-00 x2 clamp

I work at a 4 line dealer and have access to all sorts of items. I walked through our showroom and ordered items I though would work.

I had to flatten the Kawasaki bracket and add a different bend to make the angle right.

The master cylinder itself is a direct bolt on. The bracket I mounted to the inner bolt that holds the handle bar in the clip on.

The Goodridge lines I had worked just fine.

I did have to get a banjo bolt with a built in pressure switch for the brake light.

I can sell a total package for $301.65. It will include the above list, the 19 x 20 pump, the pressure switch and 3 crush washers for the bolt.

Back