My newest mod I am working on

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
It should not take most of you too long to see it. But I think it is pretty unobtrusive.

I will give more info after the 4 pics I post.

Here is pic 1

01.jpg

Pic 4.. last pic.. here is a close up..

I don't like the looks of the exhaust cans on the side. I don't think there is an easy way to run the exhaust under the seat. I like the looks of the dump pipes on a turbo system but I really don't think I want to go turbo.

Eventually I am planning on designing my own exhaust system But in the meant time I think this is going to work.

It is not AS loud as just the headers believe it or not.. But it is louder than with pipes. And I am thinking with the pair valve mod, PC3r, airbox mod and a good tuner this might do just nicely..

Plus with just the headers I was getting the exhaust up in my feet, this is actually extending the exhaust out just enough to not bother me and I cut the pipes at a down angle to deflect the exhaust downward

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101527297 -->

04.jpg

Stealth muffler ? Did you a dyno test before the mod ?

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101527433 -->

Stealth muffler ? Did you a dyno test before the mod ?
Nope.. no Dyno yet.

I heard there is a Dyno up in Fresno about 40 minutes from me but I haven't gone up there yet.

I am going to do it before I finish it with the airbox, pc3r and pair valve

I had an extra set of headers to play with courtesy of Stunnah and I had an extra set of pipes to play with courtesy of buzlatka.

Once I get ready to do the other mods (waiting of Christmas to get over so I can get the PC3r) I will put my stock stuff on, take it up, Dyno it. Then I will bring it back home, put the header extenders (that is what I am calling them
wink.gif
) back on, put the PC3r on the bike, do the airbox mod then the pair valve, then I will take it back to the guy in Fresno, have him tune it then run a Dyno on it again.

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101527891 -->

Nice plan you got there Thrashr . Also keep us in the loop with the results. I'm gonna be next in line if your planz come together.

Nuttn to it ,but to do it !

Interesting solution.:;): Definitely have to hear how it turns out.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the proximity of the exhaust to that lower wing. Other than that, it looks awesome

The only thing I would be concerned about is the proximity of the exhaust to that lower wing. Other than that, it looks awesome
Should not be any big deal.

The pipe is the stock pipe. all I did was cut it.. to my amazement it is not just a straight through pipe like I thought. It is actually restricted a little and has an inner pipe and the outer pipe with a chamber in between that is filled with the same heat protective blanket material found inside the cans.

It extends back and away from the wing so I dont think it will cause any problems with the wing. Just the picture angles I took are difficult to see that

I think this small restriction and the chamber is why it is not "quite" as loud as with just the headers and why it runs better than with just the headers.

When I had just the headers on it takes a while to start, almost like it is flooding or something.

Plus I can smell raw un burned fuel

I know this can be fixed by being tuned, but it starts better using these small extenders, I don't smell the unburned fuel smell and I think that little bit of restriction it provides will help in the final tuning of the bike.

(just a lot of guesses and assumption stemming from my ignorance and limited knowledge of exhaust systems. Warbaby and JC are probably going to rip me one lol, which is fine, always open to constructive criticism
biggrin.gif
)

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101573247 -->

Good deal thrasher.
biggrin.gif
Since you're doing all this scientific stuff, why not go head and go cut into the headers and cut out the baffle in the junction where the headers meet the mid-pipe?
rock.gif
I'll bet that would be nice. If you ever decide to try it, I'm willing to donate a set for you to experiment on. I've heard of a couple people who have actually done this before and they swear that they get pretty good results. No dyno numbers, but they swear by it.
rock.gif

rock.gif

Ok, here is a link to a video I just made for you all so you can see it and hear it..

Let me know what you all think

Header Extender video

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101593576 -->

(just a lot of guesses and assumption stemming from my ignorance and limited knowledge of exhaust systems. Warbaby and JC are probably going to rip me one lol, which is fine, always open to constructive criticism[/QUOTE]

Naw... it's original and looks good to me.
beerchug.gif
You certainly saved some weight and slightly shifted the center of gravity to the low-center of the bike's mass which should result in a subtle handling improvement. How does throttle response feel when riding compared with the full stock system?

Naw... it's original and looks good to me. You certainly saved some weight and slightly shifted the center of gravity to the low-center of the bike's mass which should result in a subtle handling improvement. How does throttle response feel when riding compared with the full stock system?[/QUOTE]

Ah man, I'm dissapointed, I thought you were go'n to be all ova his a$$ WB, I was lQQkn for a good laugh and to think I waited up all night for this
laugh.gif

Back