My new project

Dennis

Registered
A guy at work wanted this out of his garage and told me about it. I ended up with a project I hadn't planned, but it should be fun. I had foot surgery last week so I'm not on the bike in these pics.
IMG_4064.JPG

We put it back together enough to be able to get everything happy electrically with leftover parts I've had laying around including a Gen2 subframe as the original was hacked up to be a street fighter. I have the complete rear section including bodywork, lights, etc and will convert it. I'll probably run a fiberglass Gen2 3/4 front as stock fairings are expensive. This is the first fire in years.

I dug up a few more parts from the bins that will be used.
IMG_4097.jpg

IMG_4096.jpg

I ordered a battery that will fit the stock location and some used throttle cables as the ones on it were longer to reach the dirtbike style bars. I switched them back to normal. Does anybody know what stock routing is for Gen1 throttle cables? Also, it appears I'm missing something from the high idle linkage as the lever doesn't reach the cam on the throttle body. A pic would make this obvious. Maybe there is a bushing that broke off?

The goal is to go 9's for under $2k actual cash outlay. Granted the used stuff I'm putting on could have been sold but it seems I don't do that if you look at my shop lol.

A guy at work wanted this out of his garage and told me about it. I ended up with a project I hadn't planned, but it should be fun. I had foot surgery last week so I'm not on the bike in these pics.
View attachment 1651620

We put it back together enough to be able to get everything happy electrically with leftover parts I've had laying around including a Gen2 subframe as the original was hacked up to be a street fighter. I have the complete rear section including bodywork, lights, etc and will convert it. I'll probably run a fiberglass Gen2 3/4 front as stock fairings are expensive. This is the first fire in years.

I dug up a few more parts from the bins that will be used.
View attachment 1651621

View attachment 1651622

I ordered a battery that will fit the stock location and some used throttle cables as the ones on it were longer to reach the dirtbike style bars. I switched them back to normal. Does anybody know what stock routing is for Gen1 throttle cables? Also, it appears I'm missing something from the high idle linkage as the lever doesn't reach the cam on the throttle body. A pic would make this obvious. Maybe there is a bushing that broke off?

The goal is to go 9's for under $2k actual cash outlay. Granted the used stuff I'm putting on could have been sold but it seems I don't do that if you look at my shop lol.
Nice 'Vette in the background....

Still not me in the pic because I'm still recovering from a broken bone in my foot. I got a buddy to ride it last night, still foot shifted as the air shifter isn't on yet. He is the left lane. The right lane is a stretched Gen3 with a heavy-hitter riding. On these "Midnight Mania" events they run an instant green tree so RT won't be impressive.

0C502918-92E7-4B09-8A0B-B43D2708A262.jpeg

FCE8D344-1D90-45A2-826F-64CF3ECFC9D0.jpeg

Thanks. I don't really have a goal. It's just something to have fun with on the street car days, or the no-prep test days. I have another set of bodywork I'm painting up nice but not sure I want to deviate from the beater look. I think I noticed the 1st gear skip a couple times so I think I'll pull the motor and put in a Gen2 transmission I have laying around. I'll check the valves while it is out. I also have a +3" swinarm but I might not put that on either. It's fun making back to back passes and not even doing a burnout.

Thanks. I don't really have a goal. It's just something to have fun with on the street car days, or the no-prep test days. I have another set of bodywork I'm painting up nice but not sure I want to deviate from the beater look. I think I noticed the 1st gear skip a couple times so I think I'll pull the motor and put in a Gen2 transmission I have laying around. I'll check the valves while it is out. I also have a +3" swinarm but I might not put that on either. It's fun making back to back passes and not even doing a burnout.

I’m sure it’s nice having a turn key low maintenance just ride bike. I miss those days too. But sooner or later you might be doing things to make it faster. Just nature.

I’m sure it’s nice having a turn key low maintenance just ride bike. I miss those days too. But sooner or later you might be doing things to make it faster. Just nature.
You should have had one. there is a guy with a turbo busa with over 100K miles on it... im sure u must have seen it. Its not 450HP... but still. thats supposed to to be a selling point of turbo rigs., the streetability. right?

Mods include Gen2 bodywork and other miscellaneous items, a Gen2 transmission, 3" over Gen2 arm. While the motor was out I checked the valve lash and it was all in spec with 27k on the odometer. It had flat black paint all over everything so I cleaned up the motor as best as possible, had the wheels stripped and powder coated, and washed the paint off the frame and repainted it.

Wow, you really rescued that poor bike! That's crazy. Great job, man!

What did you use to clean off the black paint? The previous owner of my ZX-10R also rattle-canned in black the rearsets and every metal part of the engine and exhaust piping. :(

Looks so trashy. Poor bike! I get depressed every time I ride it. It's a 20-footer for sure. I can't wait to make it a 1-incher. My heart will finally have rest, ha-ha!

People that rattle-can bikes all willy-nilly deserve to be knelt down on raw rice and corn grains until they recognize the foolishness of such deed.

Back