My new mega overkill toy hauler!

Getn off

Registered
My wife and I have been in the market for a small mid 20' trailer/5th wheel. I thought my 2016 would have worked fine. Turns out it can tow a decent amout, but payload was limited to 1950 lbs. Really wanted a 5er for that length and was having a hell of a time with payload issues when hunting for hitches for my short bed.
I said Fork It yesterday and went out and bought a man's truck. New 2018 F350 dually with 8' bed and Powerstroke TD. This damn thing can litterally pull a house, 36,000 some odd lbs and payload of 5,500 lbs! Problem solved.
Just got back from rv dealer today. Picking up our Grand Design 29RS 5th wheel on the 12th!
Busa can now fit in the bed with tailgate closed, and I can pull any God Damn thing I can dream of! Lol
Only have these few pics below, but promise to post up more after the 12th when they both get home.
Troy
image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

Watch your weight still even though it can tow 36K you are getting into the land of a CDL . Read some of the horror stories were 350 guys with horses / trailer were to heavy ( but with in truck/trailer weights ) got their stuff impounded for no CDL . I imagine since its recreational you will be fine , but still have a read on all states you plan to travel too . Seems the State troopers are gunning for these F350's and like trucks today .

Now past the above statements . Congratulations :)

Watch your weight still even though it can tow 36K you are getting into the land of a CDL . Read some of the horror stories were 350 guys with horses / trailer were to heavy ( but with in truck/trailer weights ) got their stuff impounded for no CDL . I imagine since its recreational you will be fine , but still have a read on all states you plan to travel too . Seems the State troopers are gunning for these F350's and like trucks today .

Hi. we use a chevy 4500. the trailer is 50 ft double stack 2 cars or 12 bikes. the front is a 10ft sleeper with kitchen and bath. total weight is 47,000lbs.

A CDL is required for air brakes, not governed weight. If it's too heavy, it's too heavy, and you get a ticket, CDL or not. After a commercial vehicle reaches a certain weight, air brakes are required.
The law cannot ticket you for not having a CDL in a non commercial vehicle.
I've had a Class A CDL for over 12 years.

Six my wife has been driving some of the worlds largest mine haul dumps , and trucks all her adult life ( she is 49 )
Currently just a T800 day cab LWB with 50' spread axle curtin .Here in Texas they shut down a lot of dullys at the weigh stations here she has told me when she rolls through . A Friend in the Drag racing world has shared many FB stories with photos of Troopers doing what I have described . All I said was check things out , and be carefull .

Six my wife has been driving some of the worlds largest mine haul dumps , and trucks all her adult life ( she is 49 )
Currently just a T800 day cab LWB with 50' spread axle curtin .Here in Texas they shut down a lot of dullys at the weigh stations here she has told me when she rolls through . A Friend in the Drag racing world has shared many FB stories with photos of Troopers doing what I have described . All I said was check things out , and be carefull .

I agree, but they get an overweight ticket, not a no cdl ticket.
And always cool to see lady drivers and riders.
So few women do(not that they can't).
People like your wife break the mold, and help open the door for other women, who otherwise never would've considered a driving job as a choice

My wife and I have been in the market for a small mid 20' trailer/5th wheel. I thought my 2016 would have worked fine. Turns out it can tow a decent amout, but payload was limited to 1950 lbs. Really wanted a 5er for that length and was having a hell of a time with payload issues when hunting for hitches for my short bed.
I said Fork It yesterday and went out and bought a man's truck. New 2018 F350 dually with 8' bed and Powerstroke TD. This damn thing can litterally pull a house, 36,000 some odd lbs and payload of 5,500 lbs! Problem solved.
Just got back from rv dealer today. Picking up our Grand Design 29RS 5th wheel on the 12th!
Busa can now fit in the bed with tailgate closed, and I can pull any God Damn thing I can dream of! Lol
Only have these few pics below, but promise to post up more after the 12th when they both get home.
TroyView attachment 1584838
View attachment 1584839

View attachment 1584840
wow... nice... over 100k spent in a day.... living like a BOSS.

Thanks guys.
It is def waaaay overkill for what I can ever dream to tow. Any 5er, auto transport or boat that I would consider towing will be no feat at all for her. IF, I get another boat, it will probably be dry stored at the port anyway....maybe way down the line a 30-36 center console, but she could handle this, just not me! Lol
Gonna take some getting used to parking. My f150 crew with short bed was a bitch. At least this beast has radar all around so I can see how close to everything I am! Has something like 440 hp and 925 tq! I really cant believe how smooth she rides unloaded. Way better than my 2016 F150. I expected a pretty harsh ride light.
Troy

Thanks guys.
It is def waaaay overkill for what I can ever dream to tow. Any 5er, auto transport or boat that I would consider towing will be no feat at all for her. IF, I get another boat, it will probably be dry stored at the port anyway....maybe way down the line a 30-36 center console, but she could handle this, just not me! Lol
Gonna take some getting used to parking. My f150 crew with short bed was a bitch. At least this beast has radar all around so I can see how close to everything I am! Has something like 440 hp and 925 tq! I really cant believe how smooth she rides unloaded. Way better than my 2016 F150. I expected a pretty harsh ride light.
Troy
You mean you didn’t get the extra cameras so you can see all around the truck from the comfort of your driver seat? Lol! She is still a beauty though!

Picked up the truck last week. Paid for the 5er, but take delivery the 19th. Switched from the one we "settled" on! I came across this new one and the wifey fell in love. So, we now own a Keystone 35'er! Haha.
Just added the bottom stripe today and tint. Hitch shows up tomorrow. Need to put 1000 miles on her before I pull. Shouldn't be too tough as I work 226 miles away (ave 3x per month) and have a trip sat.
Troy
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That rig is not even required to go through a weigh station, a 350 pulling it for an RV dealer would be though AND be required to have logging equipment.

Yes, the truck could possibly get into an over weight situation as far as johny law is concerned if I towed a regular trailer over about 24k as my truck weighs about 9. Boats and rvs are exempt... Unless commercial of course.
Funny thing is this thing only sleeps 4. Tons of space for just her and I and occasional daughter or friend. We didn't need or like the ones with all of the bunks and such. Rather have a couch and theater seating and stuff. Gonna have to rent a bike on vaca as I cannot find a reasonable way to haul a bike. Not gonna double tow, wont fit on truck, and rear bumper too weak to haul one sideways. The only tow hauler I liked was 45' long! Not gonna happen. Yet!
Troy

Yes, the truck could possibly get into an over weight situation as far as johny law is concerned if I towed a regular trailer over about 24k as my truck weighs about 9. Boats and rvs are exempt... Unless commercial of course.
Funny thing is this thing only sleeps 4. Tons of space for just her and I and occasional daughter or friend. We didn't need or like the ones with all of the bunks and such. Rather have a couch and theater seating and stuff. Gonna have to rent a bike on vaca as I cannot find a reasonable way to haul a bike. Not gonna double tow, wont fit on truck, and rear bumper too weak to haul one sideways. The only tow hauler I liked was 45' long! Not gonna happen. Yet!
Troy
You are the man! I want to be like you when I grow up. :super:

Back