My new love hate relationship with Heli Bars- Help wanted...

UrbanKnight

Registered
Being a 6'6 250# rider, I knew I wanted more room on whatever bike I ended up on. Landed a k8.. Ordered Buell pegs even before I took delivery of the bike. Like them... Next step was either helibars or a riser system. After a whole bunch of debate, decided on the bars.

Got them in, put them on... easy as pie (no line issues BTW)

Now begins my love and hate of these damn things.... Granted, I have only been on two rides with them, but I am wondering if they are right for me...

Goods:
Feels like a cruiser
More comfortable over the long haul (I would guess, my longest ride with them on so far has been 45 minutes)
I "turn" my bars alot more as opposed to leaning around corners. Low speed manuevers are a breeze....
I would imagine these to be much more comfortable when going 2 up... haven't tried them yet with passenger

The Bads:
Feels like a cruiser- I am really not liking it in the corners. Bike feels like a cruiser over the aggressive stance I had on the bike before(yes that is relative, but to me, i liked it when tooling around or mild corner carving)
I "turn" my bars alot more as opposed to leaning around corners.
When in full tuck, my elbows rest outside my knees instead of on them like they did before... Does not feel as good at high speeds (when in tuck, upright is just plain comfy)

See my issue? Don;t know if it makes sense to all, but I liked that it felt like a sport bike in the corners and such, now, i feel like I am riding a harley out on a sunday stroll... Granted, I am not a knee dragger, but.... I play one on the internet....

Input from those that have/had them...

Did you get back into your leaning ways after getting used to them?

Thoughts?

Thanks
UK

Im 6'5" and 245 and I love my Helis. I dont tuck unless over 160 mph so not an issue. Handling is no diff for me. I do a lot fo long dist touring and the bars help tons!

I installed a set, used them for 3 days, took them off and sent them back for full credit minus the shipping. It felt so nice to have them off and go back to the original ergos. Like you, I felt disconnected from the bike with them installed.

you need to take a few 500 mile days with and without.... you wont go without

Agree with alot of the comments.

My riding group is mostly corner carvers, so I "doubt" we will be doing many long distance days, but I can certainly appreciate the comfort these would offer for a distance ride. But as street racer said, I do feel disconnected... I am going to give them some more time, but just seeing what others have experienced..

I also did a 1 inch raise in addition to the heli's.
I wouldn't ride without it like that.
That 2 1/2 inch lift did a world of good for my hands, knees and back.
Everything is a compromise.
I ride my bike a lot just cruising and the corners have to suffer for it when I do them. So be it. That's the trade.
As an example, I have a hunting rifle that is really light and as such kicks like a mule.
I told my buddy, "I carry this for 100 hours and shoot it for 1/1000 of a second, so I live with the kick, so I don't have to haul a heavy one."

Can't sit more upright and comfy with out sitting more upright.??? Bag them and go sport!:thumbsup:

I know what you mean. I got Helibars for my '02 to get rid of the numb palm syndrome. Rode it like that for a couple of years. After a boo-boo that broke one off, I didn't want to spend the money to replace for the reasons you mentioned. Strange thing is, I didn't get the numb palms again. Apparently, my body adapted to the riding position. No helibars on the '08.

Depends on the % of time you are twisty riding, I have the same set up and like it.
Not on the twisty roads every day. Not 6ft 5 either. Give it time, pretty big change.
You can always sell the Heli's.

Glad to see this post. My Heil's are due in on UPS tomorrow. In Illinois I am guessing I will like them. I only get out to The Gap once a year or so anyway.

+1 on the Raising links if you truly are concerned with keeping your roll rate snappy. I couldn't imagine going back to stock ride height.

I also did a 1 inch raise in addition to the heli's.
I wouldn't ride without it like that.
That 2 1/2 inch lift did a world of good for my hands, knees and back.
Everything is a compromise.
I ride my bike a lot just cruising and the corners have to suffer for it when I do them. So be it. That's the trade.
As an example, I have a hunting rifle that is really light and as such kicks like a mule.
I told my buddy, "I carry this for 100 hours and shoot it for 1/1000 of a second, so I live with the kick, so I don't have to haul a heavy one."

I put the Heli's on my k8. What a great improvement! I am 6'-4" so I needed them. They did wonders for my back, especially on 1000 mile days. They didn't hinder the cornering ability on the bike as I recently snapped off the wear pin and the bottom of the left footpeg on my last trip over California 36. I will put them on my next 'busa!

+1 on the raising links. You won't regret it.

--Wag--

Believe me, I would not have put on 30,000 miles in 10 months on my K8 without the Heli-Bars and Footpeg Lowering brackets.

The stock ergos may be fine for the typical sportbike-oriented Busa owner, but if you're in it for the Long Haul..... then Heli-Bars are most definitely The $hit to have on your bike. :agree:

I just put right at 1000 miles on my bike last week and i could have not have done it with out the Heli bars. I still ride the twists and have no trouble at all with them. I also put the buell pegs on mine and have to say i love them also. Of course i am 5'8 and 160 lbs and i know that does matter. I have a bad back and the bars and pegs have really made my bike feel better for me. I would never go back to stock and be able to enjoy the bike like i have lately. JMO

You will adjust and you WILL BE HAPPY, So search my posts for complete review with pics:thumbsup:

Back