My new long range build

My Burris scope will adjust for minute of angle, wind resistance, and parralax. To add to the scopes ability to adjust MOA, my scope rings are also adjustable.

Freshly cleaned and awaiting the arrival of the scopes sun shade.

20190114_131050.jpg

I'll probably look again at an Atlas bipod. I'm going to shoot with what I have for the time being. I'm probably gonna go ahead and order my barrel since I'm building for a very specific reason. The only ammo this thing will see is 147gr Hornady ELD match. Seems to have the highest BC of any other brand which is what I'll need for long range beyond 1000m.
Don't limit self with one weight try a few each barrel will tell you what it likes. Some times you find the best thing by mistake.

Don't limit self with one weight try a few each barrel will tell you what it likes. Some times you find the best thing by mistake.

147gr ELD is what these rifles really like. Even with the CF barrel. Also, the previous owner of this rifle said it likes being shot dirty. Doesn't like being cleaned. Hoping to hit the range this week.

I've really been looking into the Berger line,have only heard great reviews and have been trying to track down some of the 215 grain Hybrids but everybody's out of stock.

Just one time I'd like to see this poor guy not have to deal with a lot of wind.:DI know he handloads and almost exclusively uses Berger Hybrid bullets in every caliber he shoots so may be worth your while to try out a few in your 6.5.As for cleaning I think he's only run a mop and several patches with Ballistol through all of his guns for the past 5 or 6 years,no brushes,etc. of any kind.

I clean my weapons after every time I shoot them. I allow them to sweat few days when shot in cold or cool weather then clean them. I guess it's the army in me.

A couple years ago a few of my friends and I decided to see who can get out to 1000 meters for under $1000.00;

I bought a Mossberg Patriot Night Train and was at 1000 m after a few rounds. I used a rest bag vice the bipod that came with it and used 7.62 mm Hornady Super Performance 165gr SST

Deer at 400 yds? Pie plates at 1000 Meters. Just can not conceive that .Up here you are lucky to see a deer at 40 yds often less and the best kill points are behind a tree :). My trusty .30-.30 Winchester handles my needs there. Other wise my shotgun has an 18 in barrel which would explain the distances I expect to fire at lol

I clean my weapons after every time I shoot them. I allow them to sweat few days when shot in cold or cool weather then clean them. I guess it's the army in me.

A couple years ago a few of my friends and I decided to see who can get out to 1000 meters for under $1000.00;

I bought a Mossberg Patriot Night Train and was at 1000 m after a few rounds. I used a rest bag vice the bipod that came with it and used 7.62 mm Hornady Super Performance 165gr SST

Almost bought a Patriot Night Train in 300 WSM. May still get one.

Almost bought a Patriot Night Train in 300 WSM. May still get one.
I looked at one in .300 but the cost of firing it was crazy, 308 isn't too bad...

They are cheapies but with a little work are OK. The optics that come with them are not great, I will change mine out now that our challenge is done.

I looked at one in .300 but the cost of firing it was crazy, 308 isn't too bad...

They are cheapies but with a little work are OK. The optics that come with them are not great, I will change mine out now that our challenge is done.

I'm currently looking into new optics. Been looking into Vortex. Kinda hard to beat the lifetime warranty of Burris though.

There are many good optics out there.

Burris is great but not inexpensive...

I have used a Vortex Viper HS-T VMR-1 and it was a good optic, held the target well and adjusted easy. I will probably pick one of those up for cheap.

There are many good optics out there.

Burris is great but not inexpensive...

I have used a Vortex Viper HS-T VMR-1 and it was a good optic, held the target well and adjusted easy. I will probably pick one of those up for cheap.

I think that's the model I was looking into. May have been the PST. My current Burris is 5-25x50 so my new one will have to be comparable.

I'm currently looking into new optics. Been looking into Vortex. Kinda hard to beat the lifetime warranty of Burris though.

As far as I know Vortex carries a lifetime warranty also(at least with the Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 I just picked up,but may be for all models).Also added their Lo Pro Bubble Level,Switchview Throw Lever,and Defender Flip Caps,and came with a sun shade,etc.Yesterday ordered a Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 rangefinder(bank account is running low now,figure I've dropped about $5,000 since xmas on the rifle,scope,2 bipods,different muzzle brake,ammo,cleaning equipment,and all of the other accessories I just had to have:D).

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

Last edited:
/\/\/\/\ that's good to know and I will have to look into this as I like the Vortex, the one I'm looking at I can get for $500Cdn.

Sadly I will be helmet shopping soon and that is not a cheap venture either. I have to limit my expenditures here and there as I am a retired guy.

/\/\/\/\ that's good to know and I will have to look into this as I like the Vortex, the one I'm looking at I can get for $500Cdn.

Sadly I will be helmet shopping soon and that is not a cheap venture either. I have to limit my expenditures here and there as I am a retired guy.

I hear you bro,the only way I was able to afford this stuff was because I was hit on my Busa back in May and the attorneys were able to get me $10,000(so far,case still not settled).Fixed the Busa back up for about $1,300 so left me almost $9,000 to blow(am now looking at a Kimber .45,thanks to CA's dumb ass gun restriction bullshit we can't buy a Colt .45 anymore).

Back