my new clearalternatives lenses...

busababe813 from what it say's on the CA site, the lenses come as a complete lamp unit, is this the type you had?
or was it just a lens?

busababe, sorry things didn't go too well. I agree that for the price you paid, you should be getting a quality product. Maybe their injection molding press just wasn't putting enough plastic in, and that batch slipped by quality control. Either way, it does stink.

Look at the edges of the lens' to see if they appear to have been fully molded, or if it looks like an incomplete mold fill. This might give you something to ask them about.

Good luck,
Jim

Sorry to hear about the lens problems but good to hear that you gained something out of the experience. It's great that you now know you can pull the bodywork and replace it yourself. I feel like the better you know your toys the more you actually enjoy them. I'm seriously thinking about going with a big bore top end kit next year and I'm thinking about doing it myself.

I've also thought about doing the clear lens thing but don't want to run into the same thing you did. I don't like paying for things that don't work. Makes me just a bit ill. ;)

I bought the CA ones and had them fitted during a service (which they didnt charge extra for). The fit is just as good as the original ones. Sorry to hear of your problems though.

Andy

Hey Kris,

First of all, Kudos to you for taking the plastic off girl!!! It's kinda scary the first time! I don't know why your lenses fit so poorly. I used C A and just have a small un-noticable gap at the bottom corner of each lens. I took the nose off completely and installed the complete housing and light, not just the lens. You can't even see the gap. I don't know why yours had such a large gap???

Call C A and send em' back. Go with another brand but don't be discouraged!! The clear will look so much better on your bike!! Now that you've taken the nose off, you will feel more comfortable when you install the indiglo gauges!! (YES! more mods) hee hee...

Good luck and hang in there girl!!

Lo

Let us know if you order another set/try a different manufacturer Kris...I'm interested in them too, but don't want to waste time on something that doesn't fit...

I know you're frustrated, but at least you learned some new things about your Busa!

Chin up girl... :)

My C A lenses didn't fit as good a s stock either but nothing like what you are describing. I didn't even thing to Silcone them, the gaps weren't that big (but now that you mention it...)

Hey Kris,

First of all, Kudos to you for taking the plastic off girl!!!  It's kinda scary the first time!  I don't know why your lenses fit so poorly.  I used C A and just have a small un-noticable gap at the bottom corner of each lens.  I took the nose off completely and installed the complete housing and light, not just the lens.  You can't even see the gap.  I don't know why yours had such a large gap???

Call C A and send em' back.  Go with another brand but don't be discouraged!!  The clear will look so much better on your bike!!  Now that you've taken the nose off, you will feel more comfortable when you install the indiglo gauges!! (YES! more mods)  hee hee...  

Good luck and hang in there girl!!

Lo
Lo,

Girl, I know!  I keep hearing of people who either don't notice the gap or it's just not there.  Maybe I got a bad set.  I know I'm just a little picky but the gap was almost big enough to fit my pinky through!  I did the same thing you did...installed the whole housing.

I couldn't get in touch with them today but I'll try again tomorrow.

But...yippee I took it all off by myself!  It's these little things that mean a lot.  Now I'm gonna be a moddin' fool!   :rofl:  Next job...those chrome screens.

Thanks for your help!  ;)

I will offer this. THe motodesign lenses are very clear and show the bulb which sucks in it's own. The motodesign (mototec) lenses are $99.00 and just lenses. You have to seperate your stock housings and glue the new ones on. Real pain in the ARSE. The glue can get inside before you notice it. Pissed to the highest of pistivity. I would say. I opened my holes up slightly that are used to mount the CA lenses. Then I had some "play area" to center the unit and maximize the best I could get. It's very close yet even all the way around. USed some silicone around the mount holes once I got it where I wanted to help keep it from vibrating over. Kinda filled the space up. Tightener up and looks good for what it was.

ICE

I just wanted to give a little update on my lens project.  As you know, I was really frustrated with CA and the quality so working on a tidbit from BT (thank you!!!) I contacted them and this is the response I received on Friday via e-mail.  Unfortunately the original lenses had been sent back to the distributor we ordered them from a couple days earlier but I'm planning on purchasing another set directly from Clear Alternatives.

"Kris,
Our apologies for the possible defect.  We did make some changes as to reduce the gap.  These changes were made 2 months ago and so far we have not yet heard any complaints.  Also we installed them on a customers bike without any noticable gaps.  The fitment will never be 100% as OEM since it is aftermarket and we do not have access to the original mold, however we try our best to make it as close as possible.  Anyhow, we would be more than glad to exchange your set for another.  We will do anything to please our customers.  Is it possible to return the old lenses so we can view and send out another?  

Let me know as we will do whatever it takes to correct this situation.
Best Regards,

Tobin Tracy
Clear Alternatves, Inc.
2700 E. Patrick Lane, Suite #14
Las Vegas, NV 89120
1-866-CLR-LENS / 1-720-293-5367"  END QUOTE

I explained to Tobin that I had complained here about the lenses and that I would make it right if he helped me out
wink.gif
.  Good customer service goes a long way.

So, I'll call CA tomorrow and go from there.  One way or another my bug eyes are goin' clear, lol.

Kris

I agree that customer service goes a very long way. I hope this all works out for you.

busababe813, I went out to the garage and took a quick shot.....didn't turn out too well, but I think you can get an idea of the "fit" of the Mototek lenses.
Imagestation.com closed, link removed

I drilled the mounting holes on mine and kind of centered the light and there is almost no gap. When I put them on they had a bad gap. I just drilled the hole out for the mount and moved it center.

Back