my new clearalternatives lenses...

G

Well, today was the day...finally time to do the turn signals I've been fretting over for a couple weeks.  So I take the bike to the shop where I work, the store is closed but the service dept is there so I'd have lots of help if needed.  

I'll try to make this short.

Clearalternative lenses...stink.  

After about an hour or so I got all the fairings off, I decided to take the side fairings off instead of the nose.  It was really easy like everyone said.  Pop out the old lenses and pop in the new ones.  NOT.  They didn't fit at all.  Now, mind you, I'm just a tad on the anal side when it comes to my bike.  But that aside, there was a gap on the top right side (not too noticable unless you bend to look at it) but more important was the "hole" at the bottom of the lens, about 1/4".  In comes my trusty mechanic...thank goodness.  He says "let me see if I can make it fit" so he does his thing and actually gets the top gap a tiny bit closer (centemeter maybe).  So we stand back and look at it.  I went into the shop and got another mechanic just to ask his opinion.  We all agreed it looked awful.  If it was just my opinion I'd understand (you know being a tad anal and all) but 3 out of 3 mechanics surveyed, lol, agree the fit is just terrible.  

I don't understand how this company can make such a product that doesn't even come close to fitting and with a retail price of $75.00 no less.  

Bottom line is after all my preparation and getting up the nerve to actually take it apart, I put the bike back together with the stock lenses.  But on a positive note, (I have to find something positive about everything),  ;) I know how to take the fairings off which was very easy so now I can install my chrome screens like Lobusa...cool.

I probably would have been able to fill the top gap with silicone but there was nothing I could do with the gap on the bottom.   :sad:

So, thanks to everyone who helped me out with this, I appreciate it.  I'm going to look into another brand of lenses because the clear would really look great.  I was reading old posts here on Saturday and came across one that said these lenses didn't fit well but by that time it was too late, I had them and needed to see for myself I guess.

Have a great day,
Kris   :D

Yeah, I have heard this a few times about the C A lenses. I hear MOTOTEK makes a better product...
But I have read a lot more bad about the C A than I have good. Gaps and holes aren't going to cut it...not going on my bike, I hope I mentioned this awhile back, though it isn't from any personal experiance so prolly not.

Bummer 813 :sad:

Busababe and whoever else. If you ever decide to take your front lenses out, i figored out a way without taking any fairings off at all.

Step one remove windscreen
Step two remove both small pieces of plastic that cover your gauges.
Step 3. remove top two screws from front turn signal with long philips head.
Step four. From below the bike use an angled ratchet philips head. (Bought mine from sears for $7) (PRICELESS) Remove the bottom screws.

Step 5 The left turn signal housing you can actually work thru the front of the bike.
Step 6. The right you can pull up thru the top near the gauges.

Took me 15 minutes for everything.

Hope these help

Im000444.jpg

I have Clear Alternative lenses on the front and rear. I've heard many people talk about the bad fit they have had with the product. When I installed the front lenses on my bike I took the nose off and completed the install on the work bench. I have a small gap on the bottom of the left turn signal, but you can barely notice it.

You can either send them back and get a refund or contact C A and have them ship you another set...

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the lenses.

Yeah, I have heard this a few times about the C A lenses.  I hear MOTOTEK makes a better product...  
But I have read a lot more bad about the C A than I have good.  Gaps and holes aren't going to cut it...not going on my bike, I hope I mentioned this awhile back, though it isn't from any personal experiance so prolly not.  

Bummer 813 :sad:

I know, I feel like such a newbie...not listening, I don't know if you mentioned it personally but other people did.  

I'm going to look into Mototek but Clear Alternatives will get an earful first.  I just don't understand how they would think that type of fit would be acceptable.  I could even understand if it were a "cheap" aftermarket product but $75 for junk is unbelievable.  If it can't be perfect then I don't want it either.

Anyway...live and learn.  But at least I know I can take the plastics off AND put them back on right so, that was the good part of the day.

Kris
:newbie:

Busababe and whoever else.  If you ever decide to take your front lenses out, i figored out a way without taking any fairings off at all.

Step one remove windscreen
Step two remove both small pieces of plastic that cover your gauges.
Step 3.  remove top two screws from front turn signal with long philips head.
Step four. From below the bike use an angled ratchet philips head.  (Bought mine from sears for $7) (PRICELESS)  Remove the bottom screws.

Step 5  The left turn signal housing you can actually work thru the front of the bike.
 Step 6.  The right you can pull up thru the top near the gauges.  

Took me 15 minutes for everything.

Thanks...I appreciate the pictures! Did you replace the lenses? Mototek?

Kris

Kris, sorry to hear about the fit of your lenses. I went back and looked at the ones I put on and I do in fact have a small gap on the lower end, but nothing noticeable. I don't think the bikes are manufactured any differently, so I don't know why they can't ensure there parts are cut the same each time. I know its frustrating, but you will get what you want! And as you said, you now know that you can take the plastics off and put them back on. Definitely a positive!

I have Clear Alternative lenses on the front and rear. I've heard many people talk about the bad fit they have had with the product. When I installed the front lenses on my bike I took the nose off and completed the install on the work bench. I have a small gap on the bottom of the left turn signal, but you can barely notice it.

You can either send them back and get a refund or contact C A and have them ship you another set...

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the lenses.

You didn't have a the gap on the top right side too?  It could have been filled with a small line of silicone I guess.  The one on the bottom of mine seemed huge but then again any gap was enough, I wanted it to fit/look like the stock ones.  When we stood and looked at the front of the bike it looked like the lens wasn't fully installed, like the bottom screw was missing when in fact it was in tight.  It was too obvious and a little frustrating.

Glad to hear you had good luck with them though.  I'm going to call Clear Alternatives tomorrow.

busababe, i havent installed them yet, becasue i havent received them yet, but i figured, i might as well get it ready to go. plus i needed to take my gauges off to put the illumiglos on anyway!! I ordered mine from ebay. not sure who manufactured them, but i will see as soon as they get in. SHould be tomorrow.

Kris, sorry to hear about the fit of your lenses.  I went back and looked at the ones I put on and I do in fact have a small gap on the lower end, but nothing noticeable.  I don't think the bikes are manufactured any differently, so I don't know why they can't ensure there parts are cut the same each time.  I know its frustrating, but you will get what you want!  And as you said, you now know that you can take the plastics off and put them back on.  Definitely a positive!
I was so bummed but I had to get something good out of it.   :D

I don't understand how they could be different either.  Lobusa said her's fit good too!  I'm going to ask C A tomorrow.

I keep thinking if it was a really small space and something I wouldn't notice every time then it'd be ok but that wasn't the case.  I'm glad yours turned out good.

Somehow I'm putting clear ones in because the color change really looked good so now I've gotta have them! lol

Kris  ;)

busababe, i havent installed them yet, becasue i havent received them yet, but i figured, i might as well get it ready to go. plus i needed to take my gauges off to put the illumiglos on anyway!!  I ordered mine from ebay.  not sure who manufactured them, but i will see as soon as they get in.  SHould be tomorrow.
Your gages look great! Maybe I'll do that next, lol.

Let me know how the signals turn out...I hope good!

Kris

Kris, sorry to hear about the fit of your lenses.  I went back and looked at the ones I put on and I do in fact have a small gap on the lower end, but nothing noticeable.  I don't think the bikes are manufactured any differently, so I don't know why they can't ensure there parts are cut the same each time.  I know its frustrating, but you will get what you want!  And as you said, you now know that you can take the plastics off and put them back on.  Definitely a positive!
I was so bummed but I had to get something good out of it.   :D

I don't understand how they could be different either.  Lobusa said her's fit good too!  I'm going to ask C A tomorrow.

I keep thinking if it was a really small space and something I wouldn't notice every time then it'd be ok but that wasn't the case.  I'm glad yours turned out good.

Somehow I'm putting clear ones in because the color change really looked good so now I've gotta have them!  lol

Kris  ;)
I agree with you clear is the way to go. I wish I had done the change to the gauges at the same time. Guess that will be next to do. Just feels like its hard to stop doing things sometimes! Good luck!

Back