My Near Death Experience......Almost Went Down Today!

busaMD

Registered
A buddy and I rode down to one of the local dealerships this afternoon for the Suzuki Event. On the way back, we took the long way home through Jefferson Forest. He went one way and I the other.

After riding through the forest, I decide to hop onto I-265. I was just about to the junction of I-265 and Greenbelt cruising at highway speed (75-80mph) and the front end begins feeling heavy and within a few seconds as I am slowing down almost completely locks up.........here is what I saw when I got off:
IMG00345.jpg

Looks like the 90 degree valve stem came loose for some reason. No nails or tears in the tire. There were absolutely no issues with the tire before-I checked the pressure before I rode it and had it on the front and rear stands to inspect the tires just this morning.

I call wifey and she brings my air compressor from home, and i fill the tire enough for me to get off the interstate and onto a surface road.

My neighbor and I picked up the bike and got it back to my house in 1 piece.

I feel very, very, very lucky that I did't crash.....gonna buy a few lotto tickets tonight.!

Glad you're safe man! Good call on slowing down when you felt something was wrong.

The funny thing about the Busa is that it is strangely stable for moderate tank slapping and front end issues. Glad you made it through with no problems. :thumbsup:

I just re-thought my statement - maybe the valve stem wasn't properly seated?

Last edited:
The funny thing about the Busa is that it is strangely stable for moderate tank slapping and front end issues. Glad you made it through with no problems. :thumbsup:

I just re-thought my statement - maybe the valve stem wasn't properly seated?

That tire has about 1500 miles on it. The valve stem was brand new when I had the tire replaced. I'm just glad I kept it upright.....pitched left and right like crazy when it happened.

Glad you are safe. Dealing with the same thing myself, although I was just taking off when I noticed mine being at 16psi :(

Can they just re-seat the valve stem or does the tire need replaced (sorry for the newb question)?

Jonny

There seems to be an issue with 90 degree stems, this is not the first report I have heard of this situation. I am very glad you came out ok and nothing bad happened. I had thought about putting 90 degree stems on my bike, I think I will leave just as it is.

Back