My motor rebuild after turbo melt down.

turbobusa2000

Registered
Here are some pics of the pistons and the head after damaged from some bad detonation. Might not be able to see it but the exhaust valves are actually painted with vaporized aluminum.

DaBusa005paint.jpg

DaBusa2001.jpg

First order of business was to have the the head cleaned up and rebuilt. This included the replacement of one bent valve, a three angle valve job, the surface was machined and I also had a set of ape heavy duty valve springs installed. All the machine work was performed by Cooper Performance in Georgia. Top notch work and quick turn around.

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

Doesn't look like they took too much off the deck...

The block was scored heavily on the #1 cylinder and couldn't be restored to the stock bore. So I ended up going +2mm over to go with my 83mm je turbo pistons. I also opted for the crown and skirt coating they offer. The block was machined by Millennium Technologies, the deck was also machined while they had it.

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

Here are the cases split. New main bearings installed, a comparison of the stock rods and the crower rods. The rods installed on the crank, with new bearings of course.

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

Keep in mind that alot is happening in between these pics, not truly step by step. .08" spacer installed, cases back together with ape main studs. Pistons installed, as well as the timing chain and ricks motorsports upgraded stator. (more on that later)

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

When reassembling I opted for a Robinson industries billet output shaft, ape pro mod studs and cometic head gasket. Stock cams were fitted with ape adjustable cam sprockets. A high volume oil pump gear was also used.

Now for my favorite piece of the bike. The custom laminova water to air intercooler. A talented, new friend of mine built it for me, its one of only a few like it. I'll post a couple of pics of the build that he sent me. The plenum contains three laminova cores. They are highly effiecient heat exchangers and are fairly new technologie. The plenum also features a megasquirt secondary fuel injection system. It's a great controller. It allows me to log all kinds of data, such as pre and post intercooler temps, boost, a/f, coolant temp, and a host of other info.

Intercooler10.jpg

Intercooler9.jpg

Intercooler12.jpg

Intercooler8.jpg

Here's a pic of the heat exchanger used to cool the water flowing through the intercooler. The system uses a bosch intercooler pump that is used in many automotive intercooler systems, such as the supercharged mustangs and ford lightning. This pump runs constantly, that is why I upgraded the stator and rectifier on the bike. I haven't had any charging problems, not sure if I would have, guess I'll never know. Additionally I bought a new battery utilizing the newer glass mat technology.

IMG_0440.jpg

Last edited:
Back