My Michelin Road 5 review

PR5s aren’t designed for the Busa, they were W rated too. I’ve been running them for awhile. Just haven’t taken the bike up. Good corner grip for me, excellent rain tire. Suppose to release the GT version for the Busa. I get 12K front and rear.

PR5s aren’t designed for the Busa, they were W rated too. I’ve been running them for awhile. Just haven’t taken the bike up. Good corner grip for me, excellent rain tire. Suppose to release the GT version for the Busa. I get 12K front and rear.

I'm confused slightly (which is easy to do) you say the PR5 isn't designed for the Busa yet you run them?? Many on this forum run them and some run them to 200mph....I am on the fence between Bridgestone S22 or the PR2-5 series...

I'm confused slightly (which is easy to do) you say the PR5 isn't designed for the Busa yet you run them?? Many on this forum run them and some run them to 200mph....I am on the fence between Bridgestone S22 or the PR2-5 series...

Michelin....

I dont see the GT models as being an upgrade for me when I get excellent results from the non-GT models.

Reactions: c10

Gt version is for heavier bikes. Not suited for the busa at all.
I had a conversation with @c10 before about that.
I know many guys who run the PR 5 and it will also be my next tire.

From the michelin homepage:

Touring motorcycle fans, who own machines like the BMW R 1200 RT, BMW K 1600 GT, YAMAHA FJR 1300, HONDA PAN EUROPEAN 1300, KAWASAKI 1400 GTR, TRIUMPH TROPHY,… demand specific tyres that deliver safety, comfort, long life, stability and sheer riding enjoyment irrespective of the conditions*, and even when a high number of kilometres have passed under their tread.

While a PR5 is a W speed rating what many do not know that rating is held for 1 hour @ given speed under load. If it does not come apart it passed its speed rating test .
No point in making a touring tire rated for 200 plus mph .
A quick sprint to 200 mph like I often do is ok . Find me a man to hold a bird open @ 200 plus for an hour ,and I'll buy the tire n beer for him. ;)

Maybe, not 100% sure though, I've run Battlax tires since '85 with zero issues so it's a conundrum I face.

I hate Battlax tires.

As for the PR5 GTs, maybe I'll get even better results from those since I dont "need" them for my bike.

I hate Battlax tires.

As for the PR5 GTs, maybe I'll get even better results from those since I dont "need" them for my bike.
I guess that's why there are so many tire manufacturers out there-everyone likes different ones. Kind of like sneakers, some swear to Asics or Saucony or Nike, all do the same thing and look similar but people have their preferences.

I have never had a problem with any Battlax tires-of course the S21R and S22s are on another level.

I guess that's why there are so many tire manufacturers out there-everyone likes different ones. Kind of like sneakers, some swear to Asics or Saucony or Nike, all do the same thing and look similar but people have their preferences.

I have never had a problem with any Battlax tires-of course the S21R and S22s are on another level.

That very well could be the case with Battlax. I've only experienced their BT series tires which came stock on the Hayabusa.

That very well could be the case with Battlax. I've only experienced their BT series tires which came stock on the Hayabusa.

The S21R and S22s are the high end Battlax series tires, they are multi compound as well but are stickier.
The S21s I have on it now handle very well and have held up good too.

I looked at the Michelins and like them as well although I don't ride in the rain or put that many miles on my bike in a season so their rain and longevity prowess might be wasted on me.

If they can go as many miles on them as you seem to get out of them, I'd be worried they'd get hardened before worn out...personally I'd rather they get worn out before going hard.

The S21R and S22s are the high end Battlax series tires, they are multi compound as well but are stickier.
The S21s I have on it now handle very well and have held up good too.

I looked at the Michelins and like them as well although I don't ride in the rain or put that many miles on my bike in a season so their rain and longevity prowess might be wasted on me.

If they can go as many miles on them as you seem to get out of them, I'd be worried they'd get hardened before worn out...personally I'd rather they get worn out before going hard.

I didn't have issues with them getting hardened. They stuck like glue from start to finish and I only lost a tiny bit of traction once and I was already at max life then.

I didn't have issues with them getting hardened. They stuck like glue from start to finish and I only lost a tiny bit of traction once and I was already at max life then.
It might take me 3 yrs to wear them out at the rate of miles I ride a year though..that's why I personally would be concerned about them hardening on me...

It might take me 3 yrs to wear them out at the rate of miles I ride a year though..that's why I personally would be concerned about them hardening on me...
I dont understand why you would think they will 'harden' in 3 or 4 years ? A 10 year old tyre i wouldnt trust tho.
Maybe i dont understand the local climate conditions at your end of the planet and the effects on tyres :crazy::D

I dont understand why you would think they will 'harden' in 3 or 4 years ? A 10 year old tyre i wouldnt trust tho.
Maybe i dont understand the local climate conditions at your end of the planet and the effects on tyres :crazy::D

I've had tires harden on me before, it's the extreme climatic changes (up to 40'C in summer down to -40'C in winter).

Tire brand loyalty seems strong, I've always run Battlax tires so it would be a HUGE change for me to steer away from that brand.

I've had tires harden on me before, it's the extreme climatic changes (up to 40'C in summer down to -40'C in winter).

Tire brand loyalty seems strong, I've always run Battlax tires so it would be a HUGE change for me to steer away from that brand.
Thats why you need to have a heated garage bill!! :poke:

Thats why you need to have a heated garage bill!! :poke:
I'm going to remedy that next winter...for now I use a space heater when I'm in there...the garage is so well insulated, it takes very little time to heat it up thankfully.

Back