My job interview part 2

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,640187006,00.html
"JetBlue wants to reduce its employees per aircraft to about 80 from 93 by the end of 2007 through increased productivity"
They have 100 aircraft so this statement means 1300 jobs gone within a years time.  They are talking about selling off 5 planes and postponing the perchase of new aircraft by another 4 years.  
1)  When they called me the guy asked me if I really wanted to move to Boston and what I knew about the company.
rock.gif
 Even though we were getting laidoff Delta had to hire guys off the street to fill position in JFK and Boston because no one would transfer there.  Oddly enough these are the same two stations that JetBlue is hiring for.  
rock.gif

2)  Am I going to be the guy hired off the street because none of there guys want to move there?
rock.gif
 This really sounds a lot like what I just went through with Delta.  I could have kept my job with them if I moved to Boston but there was no way I was going to move for a company that was heading the wrong way.  
rock.gif

3)  Am I really thinking about taking a job with another company that may be heading down the same road?
rock.gif

4)  Do I really what to waste my time flying up to NY in the morning just to find out this is the case or am I over reacting?
rock.gif

5)  The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that I'm right.  I just keep putting two and two together but I'm not getting four.
rock.gif

6)  When he ask me to come up to NY he told me that normally they would fly me up there but seeing as how they don't fly out of Atlanta I had to make my own way up there.  Yet they get discounts with other airlines.
rock.gif

7)  Is this the way they say we can't spend anymore money then what's 100% necessary?
rock.gif

8)  When asked if I still had flight benefits with Delta that could get me up there and in the same statement he asked me if Delta called me back would I go?
rock.gif

So the big question is What do I do now?  Should I go ahead and interview for the job or do I run in the other direction?  I'm thinking I better get my running shoes on.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151028725 -->

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Whelp...I tried to think of something encouraging to say but when it comes to high ticket public luxury transpo these days?...I don't see any bright futures for airlines or cruiselines...folks ain't got the $$$ for frivilous travel anymore...and if there's still any good jobs to be had?...there's numerous ceo's backed by armies of stockholders who will seek those holding good jobs out and destroy them....time and time again....I'm a 47 year old machinist/fabricator...worked aerospace most all my life...and been laid-off time and time again..the job shop work in now seems a tad more stable...but it's a mix...we do aerospace and counter-terrorism/homeland security projects...lately aerospace has taken a backseat.

If your young or even middle-aged?..Run from both..seek out a new career other than airlines...I have an ex-pilot co-worker/trainee now who sports a commercial license...his last gig was repo'ing personal aircraft...he's been learning how to become a machinist the past 2 years.

Best wishes in your decision and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

If they are asking you to pay your own way to NY from AL. Strap on the running shoes.

Regardless of everything else that is a bad sign.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I normally do not turn down jobs before they are offered to me, even if I'm sure I don't want it early in the process. The practice and experience you get going through the interviewing process may help you get the job you do want. But I would not travel for their interview on my own $$$ either. Them not flying out of Atlanta is their problem, not yours.

The flight thing is one part that is strange to me as well. The good part is that because of my flight benefits it won't cost me anything but still. I may have over reacted a little last night with the head count reductions part. It says reduced by increased productivity. So if you work then they won't need as many people to get the same job done. I just say the words "reduce it employees". We'll see what they have to say. It's time to get ready and like Busawhipped said "The practice and experience you get going through the interviewing process may help you get the job you do want." I guess it can't hurt to go and talk to them. One good thing is that the job won't start until August so I will have a month to really sit down and think about it (if I even get the offer) before I would have to move.

I'll let you know what happens when I get home tonight.
cool.gif

Hey Bro not to sound pessimistic but I was in the same boat as you are...heres a little background on me I have almost 21 years experience as A+P mech along with a 4 yr degree form Embry-Riddle Aero...worked for several airlines along the way Hawaiiian, TWA and TSA and finally I was working for Boeing until Sept 11, 2001...after the bubble burst and I was laid off I tried Contracting and travelling cross-country for short-term assignments I had finally realized that my aviation career had stalled and after much debate I decided for the travelling just didnt have the thrill it once had.. Maybe you should give this some thought and possibly get some retraining in a different field.....it may seem scary at first, but once you try a different field it could save you alot of stress
biggrin.gif

Hey Bro not to sound pessimistic but I was in the same boat as you are...heres a little background on me I have almost 21 years experience as A+P mech along with a 4 yr degree form Embry-Riddle Aero...worked for several airlines along the way Hawaiiian, TWA and TSA and finally I was working for Boeing until Sept 11, 2001...after the bubble burst and I was laid off I tried  Contracting and travelling cross-country for short-term assignments I had finally realized that my aviation career had stalled and after much debate I decided for the travelling just didnt have the thrill it once had.. Maybe you should give this some thought  and possibly get some retraining in a different field.....it may seem scary at first, but once you try a different field it could save you alot of stress
biggrin.gif
don't think I haven't thought about that. I'm just not sure what else I would like to do. We'll see what happens.
Thanks

Why dont you airline guys consider a short stint outside the country?

India has a BOOMING airline industry now and perhaps thats where you should be. This is a global economy and you should go where the growth is. Besides...it will also give you a new view of the way things work in this world...

cool.gif

If money's not an issue for getting up to NY for the interview, then I'd do it. Like yousaid, you have a month to consider if you want the job. Don't burn the bridge yet. Give yourself some time to think things thru.

Good luck!!

Eclipse Aviation

Try this company, they are building private jets and seem to really be taking off, they are hiring lot's of people right now. The best part is you would get to live where you can ride almost 365 days a year!!! Hope this helps or gives you anothe option anyway.

Good Luck!

I normally do not turn down jobs before they are offered to me, even if I'm sure I don't want it early in the process.  The practice and experience you get going through the interviewing process may help you get the job you do want.  But I would not travel for their interview on my own $$$ either.  Them not flying out of Atlanta is their problem, not yours.
Agreed.  You can't turn down a job that hasn't officially been offered to you.  But no way you should fly on your own dime.

I've had 3 job offers on the table at one time.  They all thought for sure I was going to take their position.  Said bye to 2 and took the one best suited for me. Were they pissed? Sure, but that's nothing to worry about.

And just like he said go on interviews for jobs that you know you will likely not get so when it comes time to interview for the one you really want you are well versed and comfortable with the whole interview process.  It really helps.

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151086661 -->

Eclipse Aviation

Try this company, they are building private jets and seem to really be taking off, they are hiring lot's of people right now. The best part is you would get to live where you can ride almost 365 days a year!!! Hope this helps or gives you anothe option anyway.

Good Luck!
Have to be careful with Eclipse they have had alot of problems and lost some contrcts withtrying to get there first light A/C out. If I remember froma previous post you said you are single right? If so and decide to stay in aircraft maybe look into contracting. Good pay and if you dont mind traveling there is almost always a job somwhere. Just heard about a job tonight post on internet in Sweden for $45. an hour. But alot of companies in states also use contrctors and normally a chance to go full time.
Also if you want to go with a manufacture there was a big ad in local paper for gulfstrem in Ga. hiring ton of people. Right now Bus. jet business is booming. Most companies booked through end of 2008 on sells and if you get in a service center with on there is decedent pay and pretty secure. Cause even if sells go down jusat means corporations keeping old jets and need inspections and repairs done.

******UPDATE******
cool.gif

Well I got up to NY yesterday and asked my questions and even go the answers I was looking for.
biggrin.gif
So I took their 100 question test whice lasted 1 1/2 hours.
tounge.gif
After that the group (all 3 of us)
laugh.gif
talked some more and got some good feedback. He told us that he had to grade the test and that he would call us with the results. I didn't even make it half way back to the airport when he to tell me that I passed.
wink.gif
I wasn't sure I was going to I had my doubts. So now I get to go back up to NY on Monday for the second part. The actual interview. Hopefully that will go well and I get a job offer. It would be great if they don't need me for another month because I'm still not 100% sold that I really want to goto Boston. If things work out that way so be it. Worst things could happen. I should hear back from Continental this week and hopefully get an interview with them. It would be nice to have to chose between two jobs.
cool.gif
Lets see really hot summers or really cold winters.
tounge.gif

Anyway things look a lot better today then the other day and now we'll see how the rest of it goes.
cool.gif
I'll let you know what happens Monday.

cool.gif

tounge.gif

cool.gif

****************Monday's update****************

I'm still unemployed.
biggrin.gif
After a very long weekend thinking about the posibility of moving up to Boston, working for a fairly new company that appairs to be loosing money, knowing that for the last 3-4 years I have been thinking about moving up there with Delta but could never bring myself to do it and if I had done it I would still be working for Delta I called them and told them to take me out of the hireing pool. Even if I wanted to go to NY for the interview I couldn't get out of GA this morning. All the flights were over booked and the one that I was trying to get on was cancled anyway.
rock.gif
I tried for the next two flights with no luck so that is when I made the call to let them know that I wasn't going to make my interview nor was I going to try again. There is just to much doubt in my mind right now about moving up there so I did what was right for me. Hopefully I will hear from Continental this week about the job in TX.
cool.gif

Back