My IP address

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
I would like to hide my IP address. I dont think internet sites need to know more about me than i know about them. I found a few programs for around $30 that will do it but if there is a free program or a way to hide it through the settings on my computer i would prefer that. Any tech guys or gals out there that can help? Thanks :thumbsup:

Unless you're busy spamming the county, attempting to hack secure sites, or otherwise just being a creep in some manner there is no real harm in people seeing your IP addy.

Just a thought. It does nobody any good. ???

But I'm all for conspiracy and paranoia though... So just in case, I recommend one of these.
:laugh:

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Wikipedia has some advice on proxy servers. Although I have to say once I read up on it I tend to agree with Revlis. :laugh: :laugh:

Unless you're busy spamming the county, attempting to hack secure sites, or otherwise just being a creep in some manner there is no real harm in people seeing your IP addy.

Just a thought. It does nobody any good. ???

But I'm all for conspiracy and paranoia though... So just in case, I recommend one of these.
:laugh:

I see you hacked my computer and got into my "family phots" album:rofl:

Thanks for the ideas everyone, gonna look into the proxy servers

do yourself a favor... IF you are going to use a proxy server? DO NOT USE A FREE ONE...

you know that saying.. "you get what you pay for" well there are LOTS of FREE proxy servers and almost without fail, they are "mining" stations.. you can sit there and pull data packets off your "free" proxy server and see what everyone is up too... (user names, passwords, email, and what ever they are trying to hide their ip for in the first place)

In other words, there is NO anonymity on the net... NONE> any one that tells you otherwise is full of crap...

do yourself a favor... IF you are going to use a proxy server? DO NOT USE A FREE ONE...

you know that saying.. "you get what you pay for" well there are LOTS of FREE proxy servers and almost without fail, they are "mining" stations.. you can sit there and pull data packets off your "free" proxy server and see what everyone is up too... (user names, passwords, email, and what ever they are trying to hide their ip for in the first place)

In other words, there is NO anonymity on the net... NONE> any one that tells you otherwise is full of crap...

What he said.

--Wag--

Disagree on a couple of points. Anonymity on the net is a big "it depends", much like anything else dealing with technology. Depending on what you're trying to do you can run willy-nilly all over the net using an IP not tied to you whatsoever. Disagree on the full of crap statement too. Sometimes you're just not the subject matter expert on everything.

Also just an aside, IF you've never worn a tin foil hat... Wait till you're alone, dig out the foil and make yourself a nice 3/4 Tinfoil helmet at least two layers.

Wear that Sumbith for about 30 minutes, NOW tell me you don't feel a little different...

I know it sounds crazy, but I swear I was playing around one day at the shop in Tampa, made me a Tinfoil Pirate hat (I had my reasons) wore that around for about an hour before realizing that I was still wearing it and it seemed to me that I was in fact thinking a little more clearly, and was a bit more relaxed.

Mind you we were working with some specialized HF Equipment, RFID/Cellphone um.... "Tech" and a whole lot of RF in the shop. SO given that particular environment it's entirely likely that I actually WAS keeping the HF/RF/EM outta my brain for awhile...

But YMMV, TIFWIW... :whistle:

Disagree on a couple of points. Anonymity on the net is a big "it depends", much like anything else dealing with technology. Depending on what you're trying to do you can run willy-nilly all over the net using an IP not tied to you whatsoever. Disagree on the full of crap statement too. Sometimes you're just not the subject matter expert on everything.
maybe not but there are very few that can mask an IP to the point of being anonymous.. and if you are posting here asking? certainly not going to be savy enough to spoof headers/footers on your data packets.. I also mine a lot of user data off my servers.. you might be surprised how much can be gleaned... google pulls a lot of info and stores a lot about you..

As soon as a user hits one of our servers, we know the OS, browser, installed software and we can read cookies from other sites if we want... so you spoofed your IP and used a proxy.. .whoopie, we pull cookies from other sites that probably have your real IP.... ooops forgot to flush all that data before going dark?.. I will stick to my opinion.. you can not make yourself invisible on the net... (well lets say that 99.99% of users can not the other .01% guys wear tin foil hats... :rofl: )

Last edited:
I wear the foil hat anytime I am on the net.. it keeps me safe..:rofl::rofl:

Line your hubcaps with foil and never get a speeding ticket.
Mount florescent light bulbs in the front and rear windows.. blocks radar. :whistle:

I wear the foil hat anytime I am on the net.. it keeps me safe..:rofl::rofl:

Line your hubcaps with foil and never get a speeding ticket.
Mount florescent light bulbs in the front and rear windows.. blocks radar. :whistle:
and I notice you did not fall into the "Tin" foil hat... foil was never made of tin.. :laugh: do not forget to punch air holes in your foil helmet..

maybe not but there are very few that can mask an IP to the point of being anonymous.. and if you are posting here asking? certainly not going to be savy enough to spoof headers/footers on your data packets.. I also mine a lot of user data off my servers.. you might be surprised how much can be gleaned... google pulls a lot of info and stores a lot about you..

As soon as a user hits one of our servers, we know the OS, browser, installed software and we can read cookies from other sites if we want... so you spoofed your IP and used a proxy.. .whoopie, we pull cookies from other sites that probably have your real IP.... ooops forgot to flush all that data before going dark?.. I will stick to my opinion.. you can not make yourself invisible on the net... (well lets say that 99.99% of users can not)

I agree...in that scenario. But take a criminal with a slick laptop load or VMWare image sitting in his car who doesn't care about the IP because it's a hot spot IP or some residential open WAP and not his cable modem. He's not there to browse email or the .org or anything else that may attach identifying data....all he wants to do is launch some code against your site or whatever....you can glean all of the OS,cookies, and internal data you want but all that will be after the fact. So in this scenario...it is absolutely possible. You will never catch this guy or know who he is...you can only defend.

I agree...in that scenario. But take a criminal with a slick laptop load or VMWare image sitting in his car who doesn't care about the IP because it's a hot spot IP or some residential open WAP and not his cable modem. He's not there to browse email or the .org or anything else that may attach identifying data....all he wants to do is launch some code against your site or whatever....you can glean all of the OS,cookies, and internal data you want but all that will be after the fact. So in this scenario...it is absolutely possible. You will never catch this guy or know who he is...you can only defend.
the guys in Vegas thought that... they got caught but they were being watched for.. Vegas has been bilked for 100's of millions that the real world does not know about.. They are the kings of net security IMHO..

you are talking to an audience here that is at home working from machines with registered software... black/white hat stuff does not apply even a little.. I commented based on the user... if he jumps off thinking he is invisible, he will be sorely disappointed when the reality hits.. You will be misleading him to tell him otherwise.. no need to be an expert, only informed (I have some good net guys that work for me, datacom is way too specialized for my tiny head)

Last edited:
the guys in Vegas thought that... they got caught but they were being watched for.. Vegas has been bilked for 100's of millions that the real world does not know about.. They are the kings of net security IMHO..

you are talking to an audience here that is at home working from machines with registered software... black/white hat stuff does not apply even a little.. I commented based on the user... if he jumps off thinking he is invisible, he will be sorely disappointed when the reality hits.. You will be misleading him to tell him otherwise.. no need to be an expert, only informed (I have some good net guys that work for me, datacom is way too specialized for my tiny head)

Fair enough...maybe an asterisk next time and saving the full of crap stuff for some of the new winners that have joined the board lately.

I am not a tech guy an I am not really sure this is what you are referring too. But guys up to no good using others connection to cover there tracks every once in a while or once in blue mood get caught.:laugh:

Michigan man busted for stealing Wi-Fi signal; could have received five years | IP Telephony, VoIP, Broadband | ZDNet.com

Laptop user arrested for 'stealing' wi-fi | Mail Online

Back