My IP address

I am not a tech guy an I am not really sure this is what you are referring too. But guys up to no good using others connection to cover there tracks every once in a while or once in blue mood get caught.:laugh:

Michigan man busted for stealing Wi-Fi signal; could have received five years | IP Telephony, VoIP, Broadband | ZDNet.com

Laptop user arrested for 'stealing' wi-fi | Mail Online

That's along the lines of what I'm referring to but the first guy used the link for stuff that could be traced to him and the second guy was just retarded. Good find though...:beerchug:

Last edited:
I was part of a PC refresh team about 4 years ago (4000 systems) and I plugged in my laptop (wifi was on) and security was on my laptop in about 8 minutes..

They knew the geo coordinates of my PC and were on the way from across the facility in about 4 minutes (the other 4 minutes were transit time).. They walked in, secured the room and had my PC in hand pretty quickly.. (they asked that I turn off my Wifi)

this is the result "war drivers" .. you pull into a company parking lot with wifi active, they know you are there.. not new technology either.. (sure some network security guys can tell you the software and hardware used for this)

I was part of a PC refresh team about 4 years ago (4000 systems) and I plugged in my laptop (wifi was on) and security was on my laptop in about 8 minutes..

They knew the geo coordinates of my PC and were on the way from across the facility in about 4 minutes (the other 4 minutes were transit time).. They walked in, secured the room and had my PC in hand pretty quickly.. (they asked that I turn off my Wifi)

this is the result "war drivers" .. you pull into a company parking lot with wifi active, they know you are there.. not new technology either.. (sure some network security guys can tell you the software and hardware used for this)

You need to secure your computer better if they were "on" in 8 minutes. I'm sure you meant to say you attempted to attach to their wifi network and they triangulated you quickly.

Once again...it depends on what you're doing. If you're attacking a wifi network then yes, you can be caught. However, if you're attempting to peruse the internet anonymously then you can attach to an open wifi connection and go to town. If you're smart about it it will be extremely difficult to catch this person.

hmm we dont have anything like that..... but you cant get into the wifi here unless you knew that it was here, the ssid, the key, and an approved MAC (company issue)

WOW! I just opened a HUGE can 'o' worms:laugh: I just waan hide my IP address to make a new character on a foolish waste of time game. fastfrog007 My Brute Feel free to battle me:laugh: Then it got me thinkin "why should the sites know who's on 'em" but i get, advertising and a bunch of other money makin reasons. The depth of everything you guys are talkin about is crazy, way beyond me playin games to kill some time.

WOW! I just opened a HUGE can 'o' worms:laugh: I just waan hide my IP address to make a new character on a foolish waste of time game. fastfrog007 My Brute Feel free to battle me:laugh: Then it got me thinkin "why should the sites know who's on 'em" but i get, advertising and a bunch of other money makin reasons. The depth of everything you guys are talkin about is crazy, way beyond me playin games to kill some time.

:laugh: You're right and forget about the proxy service while gaming...if they did allow it the lack of speed would kill your gaming experience.

Good point, but in this game, speed isnt really a factor. You just make a character and watch the 20-30 second long battles. Give it a try, its strangly adicting

question...I checked my ip address via cmd prompt iconfig /all and it is not the one displayed in Srife's little Obama doohiikee. Why is that? What ip address is being displayed? Would that be my cable router or something else?

question...I checked my ip address via cmd prompt iconfig /all and it is not the one displayed in Srife's little Obama doohiikee. Why is that? What ip address is being displayed? Would that be my cable router or something else?

IPConfig is going to display your "internal" IP. That is your IP address on your personal (or corporate) network. The internal IP is the address assigned to your computer's network card (NIC).

Your "external" IP is the one that will display in the Obama banner message. This is the IP address of your personal network's router or your corporate router/load balancer/etc. This is typically assigned by your ISP and on a personal network is normally dynamic (changing) versus static (non-changing).

I used to have one that did a local scan of the hard drive and displayed installed software... boy did that cause some hate and discontent.. :rofl:

Yeah. Isn't so bad now that people know how computers work. Most thought it was an invasion of privacy.

I have a few little neat tricks that I send new PC owners and wait for the phone call. The fear of PC terrorism is easier to prey on then real life terrorism. :laugh: All in good fun!

Mr Bogus is right. And as for proxy servers they log all your activity. I've used tor and it works but its awful slow and you must trust other tor users mainly from Asia pacific.

Back