My IP address

With the logging and data collection done by our isp's, google, ms, and all the other search engines, there is no hiding on the net.

Disagree on a couple of points. Anonymity on the net is a big "it depends", much like anything else dealing with technology. Depending on what you're trying to do you can run willy-nilly all over the net using an IP not tied to you whatsoever. Disagree on the full of crap statement too. Sometimes you're just not the subject matter expert on everything.

All of that is exactly the reason that, if you don't KNOW what you're doing, don't eff with it.

--Wag--

question...I checked my ip address via cmd prompt iconfig /all and it is not the one displayed in Srife's little Obama doohiikee. Why is that? What ip address is being displayed? Would that be my cable router or something else?
a few reasons... what helps is if you can give the first 2 octets..

Normally people at home are behind a router.. so you end up with a local ip (192.168.XX.XX) (reserved range)

or in some cases ISP's like verizon subnet out their available IPs to large blocks of users.. . When you go do your cmd prompt and do an ipconfig /all.. it may not show your public IP as the one the real world sees..

I run a site called (and dont laugh, had a good reason for the domain name) gets about 500,000 hits a month and is pretty useful for my work

KissMyIP : Your Ip Is 216.139.245.208

(and yes, i do log some data, OS, browser, your ISP, IP address and other anonymous information, nothing google does not grab already) is a "not for profit" site.. There is also a proxy running off that sites IP address if you can figure out how to use it :whistle:

EDIT: oh thats cute, the Link parsed the .oRgs IP too... :laugh:

Also think some sites don't allow you to view their site if you hide your IP. Not 100% sure cause I never tried to hide it.

Back