My Hayabusa tail conversion to GSXR1000K8

It is a bit more complicated than that. The original Gen I subframe donated the forward ten inches of the top rails, the lower attach fittings and the foot peg mount points. The rest went in the bin. The lower rails and attaching points are all custom made using new material. Getting the angles and distances correct was the time consuming part. I spent many hours (read weeks) with a level, tape measure, supporting blocks and masking tape getting it set up the way I wanted. I did it so I know anyone can with the right tools and a lot of patience. Fortunately for me I have another sportbike so I could still ride during all this time.

Very nicely done Sir! I like what you did......

I am in the process of building a kit for this conversion using my CNC machine so that people can just bolt up the 1000 frame. I am also planning (if it permits) having my brackets on the outside if the holes instead of the inside like the other kits do. I want to hide those frame tabs.

Excellent work!

Probably my favorite mod I did on my busa so far :thumbsup:

My Busa.jpg

I just posted my kits on the Busa mods and the Appearance mods section of this forum. Check it out!

I think I have the cheapest and easiest conversion so far.
Mate did all the hard work but some time later decided to go back to stock,
I bought his homemade conversion as a dirt cheap bolt on !

2mjjgg.jpg

dbpi54.jpg

I am new to the forum so Hello All!

I could use some advice. I was thinking of doing the mod on my GEN I and a friend of mine has a 07-08 1000 rear tail section minus the plastics. My questions is:

1. Will the tail bolt directly on or require serious modifications.
2. Should I buy a conversion kit instead and pay big $$$ i prefer not to do.

Any feedback is gladly appreciated

Thanks

I could use some advice. I was thinking of doing the mod on my GEN I and a friend of mine has a 07-08 1000 rear tail section minus the plastics. My questions is:

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, I am almost done with mine. Thread here with lots of answers.....

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...custom-gsxr-1000-tail-section-conversion.html

Thanks

The GSXR1000 tail will not bolt onto either a Gen I or Gen II Hayabusa. To do this requires a set of adapter rails that will bolt to the Hayabusa frame on one end and have provisions on the other end to accept the GSXR1000 K7 or K8 seat box. The plastics mount to the original K7/K8 seat box. Some guys make a set of adapter rails from billet aluminum. My method uses portions of the original Hayabusa subframe modified and redesigned to support the 1000 seat box and plastics.

Unless you are very mechanically inclined and have lots of tools at your disposal, (and lots of time) you will be better off purchasing a kit to do this.There are several available.

I made an aluminum luggage rack for my converted tail section. It pops on and off with the key just like the passenger seat or seat cowl. I use a 1 inch lashing strap to hold down any cargo. The surface is wing walk material to keep things from sliding around.

P1210303.JPG

P1210304.JPG

For a few months I have been working on a tail conversion for my 2011 that I want to share with you. I decided against the kits that were available due to cost and went with my own plan using a Gen I subframe. This methods allows the use of the stock seat after a little modification to the shape of the pan.

P1080686_zps4551686c.jpg

This is the tail section completed.

P1070987_zps70735d02.jpg

These are the rails I made using a Gen I subframe as a donor. You can use a Gen II but it is worth more if you want to sell it, or you can save it and swap back to the original tail section if you want. The round tubing, the attach fittings and the foot peg mounting hard points are from the original subframe. I used 2011 GSXR600 pegs, but there are many out there that will do the job.

P1070995_zps2a9889c6.jpg

The new rails mated with the GSXR1000 seat box. Both 2007 and 2008 will work with this method.

P1080010_zps56a9b4dd.jpg

Best to get the complete subframe with the plastic inner fender which contains the battery box and a nest for the ECU. It is very clean using a license plate relocater like this. There is a LED light installed on the bracket to light the tag.

P1080685_zpsba74cb55.jpg

Nice clean lines and very streamlined. I weighed my bike when completed and found that doing this mod, installing a 12 cell lithium ion battery and a four-into-one Yoshimura exhaust header with a Hindle titanium can removed 54 pounds of weight. With the weight reduction, plus the fact that I weight 170 pounds, the suspension has needed a lot of adjustment on both ends but I about have that sorted. I used PVC plastics from Neverland on Ebay and was pleased with the fit, plus PVC is easy to work with. There is a bit of material removal on the side pieces to get it all to fit over the new rails.

P1080689_zps12293680.jpg

The wiring from the Hayabusa harness to the GSXR1000 tail light harness was a direct fit. I had the swap locations of two wires in the K8 harness to get all the lighting to work. With the lithium ion battery there is room in the battery box for the starter relay, plus locations elsewhere for any and all electrical components originally in the tail section. The relays in the rubber boots fit right onto the spaces provided on the K8 plastic inner fender.

P1080682_zps6c6f449a.jpg

The completed bike. Many thanks to SKECHE for help with the graphics. He is a patient man and was very helpful.

The cost breakdown for me was:

$150 2008 GSXR1000 subframe with seat box and plastic inner fender/battery box.
$177 Tail cowl set.
$86 K8 tail light assembly, turn signals and connecting harness.
$16 License plate relocate with LED light.
$140 Ballistic 12 cell lithium ion battery. (you can do without this but it makes it a lot simpler)
Then paint and graphic prices will vary depending on what you want.

I made a jig for the rails if anyone is interested I could help as time permits. PM me with any questions. These Hayabusas are awesome bikes!
Hi, I am interested in one of these kits for the 1 gen tail conversion, still doing them?

I'm kinda late on this, but have seen the thread a couple of times and keep going back. I was considering buy an extended tail, but this looks really good too. Did you paint the 1K tail, it looks like the same charcoal that I have on my 09. You still selling the kits by chance? Please PM if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Yes I painted my whole bike; a Platinum VW paint code. I do not have any kits available at the moment. I do plan to make some in the future but things are so busy I can't even forecast when that will be.

Yes I painted my whole bike; a Platinum VW paint code. I do not have any kits available at the moment. I do plan to make some in the future but things are so busy I can't even forecast when that will be.

I'm in no hurry, but would be interested when you do. I'm subscribed to this thread, so please let us know when you get time to make some more.

Thanks!

For a few months I have been working on a tail conversion for my 2011 that I want to share with you. I decided against the kits that were available due to cost and went with my own plan using a Gen I subframe. This methods allows the use of the stock seat after a little modification to the shape of the pan.

P1080686_zps4551686c.jpg

This is the tail section completed.

P1070987_zps70735d02.jpg

These are the rails I made using a Gen I subframe as a donor. You can use a Gen II but it is worth more if you want to sell it, or you can save it and swap back to the original tail section if you want. The round tubing, the attach fittings and the foot peg mounting hard points are from the original subframe. I used 2011 GSXR600 pegs, but there are many out there that will do the job.

P1070995_zps2a9889c6.jpg

The new rails mated with the GSXR1000 seat box. Both 2007 and 2008 will work with this method.

P1080010_zps56a9b4dd.jpg

Best to get the complete subframe with the plastic inner fender which contains the battery box and a nest for the ECU. It is very clean using a license plate relocater like this. There is a LED light installed on the bracket to light the tag.

P1080685_zpsba74cb55.jpg

Nice clean lines and very streamlined. I weighed my bike when completed and found that doing this mod, installing a 12 cell lithium ion battery and a four-into-one Yoshimura exhaust header with a Hindle titanium can removed 54 pounds of weight. With the weight reduction, plus the fact that I weight 170 pounds, the suspension has needed a lot of adjustment on both ends but I about have that sorted. I used PVC plastics from Neverland on Ebay and was pleased with the fit, plus PVC is easy to work with. There is a bit of material removal on the side pieces to get it all to fit over the new rails.

P1080689_zps12293680.jpg

The wiring from the Hayabusa harness to the GSXR1000 tail light harness was a direct fit. I had the swap locations of two wires in the K8 harness to get all the lighting to work. With the lithium ion battery there is room in the battery box for the starter relay, plus locations elsewhere for any and all electrical components originally in the tail section. The relays in the rubber boots fit right onto the spaces provided on the K8 plastic inner fender.

P1080682_zps6c6f449a.jpg

The completed bike. Many thanks to SKECHE for help with the graphics. He is a patient man and was very helpful.

The cost breakdown for me was:

$150 2008 GSXR1000 subframe with seat box and plastic inner fender/battery box.
$177 Tail cowl set.
$86 K8 tail light assembly, turn signals and connecting harness.
$16 License plate relocate with LED light.
$140 Ballistic 12 cell lithium ion battery. (you can do without this but it makes it a lot simpler)
Then paint and graphic prices will vary depending on what you want.

I made a jig for the rails if anyone is interested I could help as time permits. PM me with any questions. These Hayabusas are awesome bikes!

Back