My GF wants a little dog, what do i do!!

jspin

Registered
so the girlfriend has really been pushing to get a dog lately and i've come to realize, there's no avoiding it anymore. don't get me wrong, i'm a dog lover, but she wants........ one of those dogs. she wants what i refer to as a "kick-me" dog: poodle, pomeranian, etc.

now the advice i'm looking for is what kind of little dogs are out there that a manley man like myself could get along with? i was thinking a wiener dog could be an option. any thoughts?

thanks guys.

dont get a poodle. They are the devil reincarnated.

Pomeranians are cool.

My neighbor has some kind of little dog "Shadow" about the size of a rat with long hair?

Manly mini-dog

dog.jpg

I think my neighbors dog is one of these. It is very small. It has to jump when it runs in the grass.

mini.jpg

Always had dogs, boxer and G. Sheperd, but wife wanted a dog and I finally caved on a few conditions: 1. House trained, 2. Doesn't shed, 3. Not a yelper/barking dog and 4. Save from the pound/euthinization (too many dogs out there that just need a home).

We got the perfect dog in all regards - we believe he's a mix between a Fox terrier and Yorkie, kinda looks like Benji, about 15-17 lbs.

My brother's wife has a Min-Pin and they will drive you crazy (spaz dog, barks/wimpers/growls at everything, stubborn, sheds, etc.). They are strong little suckers though. Good luck w/ whatever you get.

Manly mini-dog
Much better pic of a min pin that I had.

We have a mini schnauzer. She's aboout 16 lbs when she's in shape and about 15 in at the shoulder. The grooming is a hassle but she doesn't shed. She also isn't the smartest tool in the shed, but everyone tells me their schnauzers are brain surgeons. So, I don't know if she came from the shallow end of the gene pool or my rating for dog intelligence is different than others.

I have a yorkie, about 3 1/2 lbs. they don't need much grooming and they don't shed, have hair, so no allergy problems. They think they are big dogs. the little yorkie sounds like she is going to tear the big boxer up when they are outside.
+1 on saving one from the pound.
beerchug.gif

french bulldog.... boston terrier.... mini pinscher.... italian greyhound.... whippet....rat terrier.... chihuahua.... schnauzer (I think they look like little old men).... there are more robust, less high maintenance "little dogs

thanks for the replies guys, i like the idea of the mini pin. never thought about the grooming thing, thats definitely a something i need to keep in mind.

i'll fight to the death against getting any kind of poodle. an old room mate of mine had one and it was the most worthless excuse for life i've ever seen. it would growl and bark and nip at you whenever you had your back turned, but then run for dear life as soon as you turned around.

Go big or go home . . .

Get a Dane!!

My girlfriend was a little dog fan till she met my Great Dane. Her mind changed quickly.

Find a new Girlfriend who understands that your sensitive and fragile sense of identity and male ego couldn't possibly accept anything less manly than an American Bull-terrier or a Roty.
cool.gif

He he... sorry I couldn't resist... I'd just find a new Girlfriend seriously. Women who are into little dogs have a high maintenance stamp that's actually neon-lit and itself requires more maintenance than an old MG...
thumb_up.gif

NEXT!!!!

OK OK, a couple small dogs that do not suck? Seriously Pugs aren't all cowardly and useless, and the Yorkshire terriers when socialized and not cut to look stupid are some pretty ballsy little dogs.

Otherwise I've never met a miniature poodle or Pomeranian that was worthwhile, nor Chihuahua. Any small dogs that hide and cower are just going to be a source of frustration.

If I absolutely had to get a small dog.... I'd go to the pound, SPCA, etc and rescue some poor babe from a tragic end. I'd give them all a good look, check their history and whatever records they have on the pupster and see which one I fall in love with. One of those lonely souls might just grab your heart - that's the one to bring home. If you don't fall for one, it wasn't meant to be. But that's just me - I like the big dogs.

We have a Min-Pin. They rock. Ours is nuerotic because she was used as a breeder (stuffed in a crated, stacked in a garage with 9 other crates full of dogs). But they are usually very well mannered. And yes, they are very sturdy. Our Dane is constantly stepping on her. She just turns around and latches onto his neck until he gets the point. Sometimes there's a yelp and a limp until Mommy comes and picks her up and cuddles her.
goodboy.gif
We had one before this one and she was quite the lover. Good with other people, not a biter or a barker. Oh she would bark, but not incessantly. They can be a bit stubborn, but most small dogs are.

Go to www.dogbreedinfo.com and there is a questionnaire you can fill out to find the perfect dog for your requirements. And rescued dogs will love you the most. They know you gave them a second chance.
thumb_up.gif

Jezzie.jpg

I have had my two Chihuahua's for 16 years and they are really people dogs. They either have to be on your lap or near you. And they aren't really yappy dogs like most think. Well at least mine aren't. They bark at the same things other dogs bark at. They become very attached to "their" people. So You have to expose them to different people all of the time. Otherwise good little house dogs that are great little alarm systems.

A friend at work calls them "Lyin dogs" cuz if you call 'em dogs you're LYIN!

One word for ya,  Pug ( enough said )

beerchug.gif

bowdown.gif

beerchug.gif
From what I've read about pugs, they're very temperature sensitive...so not a great dog for extreme heat or cold, but I'm not a vet nor a pug owner, sooo take that for what it's worth.  

We did dog-sit one for a couple weeks.  He was really sweet, would have been better, had he been neutered, but made the most god-awful respitory noises.  We always knew what room he was in because you could hear his breathing in every room of the house.

beerchug.gif

Back