My Gen2 Winter Mods diary

Sunday 5/11 - the first day in 5 days without torrential rain.
First chance I've had to see how it all is coming together. First time on the road since March this year..

Bed in the new pads and rotors, (as a mechanic friend of mine says, "accelerate-brake-repeat" until you vomit in your helmet)
** Oh my goodness, the Brembo brake master cylinder, braided lines, and pads & rotors, what a massive improvement. So much better feel and modulation, just so much better :)

Get some rotation on the new chain & sprockets and new Michelin Road 5's (brand new scrub them in a little)
Check for leaks, make sure cooling system is air pocket free.

Wired in a timing circuit to run the fans after ignition off for 90 seconds

Low fuel light is on now and it can stay that way as it's going into the shop for dyno Monday, so will fill up on the way for as fresh as I can get it.

The BlackWidow headers make a huge change to the sound, really cracks now.

Sunday 5/11 - the first day in 5 days without torrential rain.
First chance I've had to see how it all is coming together. First time on the road since March this year..

Bed in the new pads and rotors, (as a mechanic friend of mine says, "accelerate-brake-repeat" until you vomit in your helmet)
** Oh my goodness, the Brembo brake master cylinder, braided lines, and pads & rotors, what a massive improvement. So much better feel and modulation, just so much better :)

Get some rotation on the new chain & sprockets and new Michelin Road 5's (brand new scrub them in a little)
Check for leaks, make sure cooling system is air pocket free.

Wired in a timing circuit to run the fans after ignition off for 90 seconds

Low fuel light is on now and it can stay that way as it's going into the shop for dyno Monday, so will fill up on the way for as fresh as I can get it.

The BlackWidow headers make a huge change to the sound, really cracks now.

View attachment 1607179

View attachment 1607180

View attachment 1607181

View attachment 1607182

View attachment 1607183

View attachment 1607184

View attachment 1607186
Why do you want to run the fans so long (90 secs) after ignition is switched off?
I hope you have a good battery!
Those fans draw a fair bit of current, depleting the surface charge to a degree . . .
oh and by the way . . your bike looks amazing!!!
Congrats on all the hard work, time , money and energy you have put in, it's all paying off right about now, and I bet you are beaming when you look at how clean and well set up it is.
She'll love ya right back too mate!

Why do you want to run the fans so long (90 secs) after ignition is switched off?
I hope you have a good battery!
Those fans draw a fair bit of current, depleting the surface charge to a degree . . .
oh and by the way . . your bike looks amazing!!!
Congrats on all the hard work, time , money and energy you have put in, it's all paying off right about now, and I bet you are beaming when you look at how clean and well set up it is.
She'll love ya right back too mate!

Thanks Kiwi, it's people like you that push me to do my best. It's the support and comments from you and others on here that keep me at it. Hopefully next post will be the after dyno post and a finish up write up.

Re the fans, I thought 90sec sounded like a good round number at the time.. it's not until you actually sit, time and wait for those 90sec to pass I realised how long it is. I will change it to maybe 30-45 sec and see how she goes. It's one of the small things I've done to a few of my bikes (all the others have been 15-30sec) it makes me feel like I'm helping her relax and cool down in mid summer..

Thanks Kiwi, it's people like you that push me to do my best. It's the support and comments from you and others on here that keep me at it. Hopefully next post will be the after dyno post and a finish up write up.

Re the fans, I thought 90sec sounded like a good round number at the time.. it's not until you actually sit, time and wait for those 90sec to pass I realised how long it is. I will change it to maybe 30-45 sec and see how she goes. It's one of the small things I've done to a few of my bikes (all the others have been 15-30sec) it makes me feel like I'm helping her relax and cool down in mid summer..

It's great to see the fruits of your labor, your bike is looking awesome-you have worked hard and it shows.

Actually, unless the water pump is spinning, having the fans run is only cooling off the coolant in the rad and there is not much air flow past the heads....although there is a little..

When I bring my bike back home after a run, I put an external fan in front of the fairing to blow air past the entire engine...if I'm on the road and shut down, I try to find a shady spot to park.

It’s usually so cool here in NZ I never even think about cooling it off after a ride!
But as others have said, limited benefit having fans running with no circulation of coolant.
One thing I will say is that when the circulation stops (engine stops) there is an increase in temp in the coolant by a few degrees C, on a warm to hot day a lot of cars will run the fans for a minute after ignition is switched off.
With your bike Karl, it’s the draw on the battery with those fans running (engine stopped) that I’m considering will be a risk, a bike battery is so much smaller than a car battery. I’ve never seen this mod done on a motorcycle before .
You said you’ve done it with other bikes... did you have any starting issues ?

Dyno Time :)

Picked her up today after being away for work for the week.
Had the usual things changed and/or updated
Then onto the dyno.
Man, what a difference.. So much more linear acceleration. No more sudden chop when backing off the throttle. So, so much "snap" when giving it the beans. Was on the freeway, so couldn't give it the full 100% throttle pull..

Thought I would close this off today while having a quiet break at work.
As per thread title, decide to do some work to the bike over our winter break.
(which also involved selling my M109R to help cover the cost)

Below is what was done, (and I may have missed some too..)

The only things left to do which will be over the Xmas / NY holidays.
- Rostra Cruise with custom designed & built, microprocessor controlled, fully sealed, miniature switch assy
- Tank grips
- And if I ever get them back from the painters, the factory, oem white fairings.

What has been done:
- New wheel bearings F&R
- New Michelin Road 5 F&R
- Swing arm powder coated and full bearing set replaced
- Head stem bearings replaced
- Rebuilt F&R brake calipers (Rear powder coated)
- F&R brake pads and rotors
- A mixture of Titanium and SS bolts and nuts
- Braided SS Brake and clutch lines
- GSXR1000 front fender
- R1 brake Master Cylinder
- Powder coated F&R foot-peg/exhaust hangers and rear footpegs and rear brake caliper bracket
- New chain and F&R sprockets
- SS exhaust headers, double ceramic coated for heat reduction
- New thermostat and silicon hose kit
- New gps and phone mount with charging, (plus a separate usb in the tail for the GF's phone if needed)
- F & R switchback setup
- Arashi key-less fuel cap
- CF tank Guard
- Full strip and clean
- ECU flash and dyno tune
- F&R seat reupholstered and refoamed

There's probably some little more bits and pieces.
I can't thank everyone here enough for the support and advice and ideas I have been given. Without you all, none of this would have been possible. From the bottom of my heart...

Thank you all very, very much. :beerchug:

Now to go ride :)

Back