My gear's Tickin' - What's up?

neoBusa

Registered
Own a K9. Done almost 7000 km on it. never had any probs. I been noticing however that everytime I change gear it feels like I'm stepping on dry metal. As if the gear system inside needs oiling or greasing. In short it simply is not smooth. I sprayed WD-40 on the external links of my gear but that didnt do anything. Could it be that this has been there all along and all busa's are like that? I just can't remember at all!

It's been recently serviced so clean oil and the lot.

At low speeds, when I change gear you can literally hear a loud tick sound, higher pitched than the engine noise. Would probably sound like something wrong with my bike for passer's by.

any ideas?

If it's still under warranty take it in and let them look at it. It's hard to assess the situation over the internet. It's normal for the bike to clank into the next gear and the Gen II is smoother than the Gen I based on my experience. Put 36K on an '06 and have 5K on an '08. If it has always behaved this way then I wouldn't think they put the wrong weight oil in. You might try synthetic oil, but it's probably normal. The only ticking sound I've ever experienced is from a worn out chain that's got a locked link.

I meant to have the service manager give it a short ride to see if its normal. I'll be paying him a visit soon. Thought maybe I could get it resolved home. The sound is not always there, so not from chain for sure. It's as if the gearbox needs oiling or something. the shifting is hard, not smooth when changing gears. But I really really cant remember if thats how it always was.

Well the engine, gearbox , and clutch are all lubricated by the same oil. Good luck and I hope the bikes fine, if not I hope they get it taken care of for ya. :thumbsup:

After cleaning out the clutch cover and front sproket, I had a small difficulty, but it went away once it settled. You might wanna check the shift lever see if they are on the same height. You can play with it and find the comfortable leverage. Good luck. ( hope you used motorcycle specific oil for the last oil change.)
Posted via Mobile Device

After cleaning out the clutch cover and front sproket, I had a small difficulty, but it went away once it settled. You might wanna check the shift lever see if they are on the same height. You can play with it and find the comfortable leverage. Good luck. ( hope you used motorcycle specific oil for the last oil change.)
Posted via Mobile Device

Change Oil at the dealer and always make sure the right oil is used.

Change Oil at the dealer and always make sure the right oil is used.

Your dealer might messed up the shift lever. Check it. And if I were you, I wouldn't give too much credit to dealers. Nobody will take care of your bike like you'd do.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your dealer might messed up the shift lever. Check it. And if I were you, I wouldn't give too much credit to dealers. Nobody will take care of your bike like you'd do.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's why I'm always there during service sessions. Will check it out soon and let you know. It's so hot'n dusty now so cant take it out for a ride. will update when i do!

Back