My friend went down,he hit a deer.

MisterGDBusa

Registered
Yesterday my friend went down on his 2010 Yamaha R6 , he hit a deer.demolished the bike and he has broken colar bone.
I was riding behind him and i was able to stop because of the abs on my bike.
3 deers jumped in front of us, one behind another and it looked like wall. He hit the middle one and kill it. Bike is very bad.

Alot dont like them or believe in them but i have 4 deer whistles on my bike,lots of deer and critters here in NY,...

Sorry to hear about your friend. The deer population in my area is very large and exactly the reason I won't ride at night in my area. I have had many close calls with deer, the last one was with a large deer that decided to jump out in front of me on a late afternoon, I missed hitting him broadside by a few feet. My son hot a deer a few years ago, destroyed the bike and he was lucky to get away with only a broken arm.

Sorry to hear about your friend. The deer population in my area is very large and exactly the reason I won't ride at night in my area. I have had many close calls with deer, the last one was with a large deer that decided to jump out in front of me on a late afternoon, I missed hitting him broadside by a few feet. My son hot a deer a few years ago, destroyed the bike and he was lucky to get away with only a broken arm.

It was about 7pm, still wasnt dark, they came out of nowhere.
Deer was instantly killed from the impact and it was laying in the ditch next to bike.

I try very hard not to ride once the sun starts setting. Deer are everywhere and very unpredictable. Hope he heals well.

Sorry about your buddy and his bike . Hopefully he heals quick and gets back on . Oh and tell him this time around buy a hayabusa !

Only good thing about this is, there is 1 less deer in the world.

They are king sized varmints and there are way too many of them.
Never could understand why deer season is only two weeks long. Not like they are endangered. :banghead:

I hit a deer last year on my GW. just clipped him and thank God I didn't go down.

Hope your friend heals up OK and is not afraid to ride.

Yeah guys @ work are always asking why I don't ride my bikes in2 work.... I ask them how many deer do you see laid out on the side of the road near work? I'll take my chances against a deer on 4 wheels vs 2 any day of the week :laugh:

I was riding in 1 of my buddies cars when a deer actually hit us!! We didn't hit the deer it ran smooth into the front quarter panel on the drivers side then flipped up over the car flopped around on the road 4 a few seconds then took off back in2 the woods :laugh: when we got out it was pretty chilly, there was still deer snot steaming on the hood of the car :rofl:

I feel your buddys pain. I hit a deer last month and totalled my busa. Lucky I did not get hurt too bad. Thank god for safety gear.

Sorry about your buddy and his bike . Hopefully he heals quick and gets back on . Oh and tell him this time around buy a hayabusa !

He tried my busa back in the past and he loved it.much better riding than his R6, but that was his first bike and he was still learning.that why we were always riding slow, we never did stupid **** plus we are both Truck drivers, CDL-A and driving is our live, we make money from it, and you cant afford to do stupid **** or speed cuz its question of time when you will get caught.

hope he heals up. but I'm pretty sure u wud hav been able to stop without ABS

I dont know. Maybe, maybe not.my previosu cbr had nice brakes,but non-abs, so i was going to slide or tip over.
Busa i big and heavy. After this incident i love it even more.

Yeah, the ABS will keep the tires from locking up in a hard brake (panic) stop situation and help you from falling over/low siding, I guess they'd let you stop in a shorter distance because you're not depending on "feel" as to how hard you can brake. I've had one situation already where I squeezed and stomped as damned hard as I could, and felt the pulsating ABS assuring me the bike was putting as much braking force to the ground as was possible without a wheel lock up. BTW - I practiced doing exactly that to see 1. What it felt like when ABS kicked in and 2. if I could just mindlessly brake as hard as I could and it turns out I can! I dig the ABS, and I think my next bike will have that on it as well!

Most likely you didn't hit the deer because you were riding behind him and had more time and distance. There are lots of interesting videos about the difference a fraction of a second or even 5-10kph (they were filmed in NZ if memory serves) makes in stopping and survivability. Glad you're safe, hope your buddy heals up soon and keeps riding!

I dont know. Maybe, maybe not.my previosu cbr had nice brakes,but non-abs, so i was going to slide or tip over.
Busa i big and heavy. After this incident i love it even more.
the busa is not big and heavy. a HD at 900+ lbs is big n heavy!

I don't think it hurt u by any means I just don't feel its the reason u didn't crash. been riding for 25 years and never had ABS on any bike and done a lot of hard braking on both my busa and liter bikes I've owned.

its not like a car. IDN, wen I hit my brakes which are upgraded to SS lines, better pads and rotors I stop on a dime and thats without using the rear brakes which I nvr use. I shud I know but 75% of braking comes from the front. maybe even 80% on a bike. 65-70% on a car.

but if the ABS makes u feel safer wen riding then by all means its a great thing to have. perception is often reality wen riding and if ur more confident wen u are riding the less likely ull be to crash! confidence goes a long way wen riding either ron the street or the track. nothn compares to seat time and experience but if a mechanical upgrade helps ur confidence then thats a home run.

lovn that yellow too. such f-en bad ass color! best lookn busa ever made to date imo hands down and I am NOT a fan of yellow in anything but a huge fan in that color combo. they nailed it with that.

The DMV tests I've taken say that 75% is front tire, which I've only ever been able to lock up once on an Experienced Rider course on my VFR (which has linked brakes!), but I like the ABS since I can squeeze an extra 25% without worrying about a locked up rear! I've practiced braking so hard that I can get both ABS pulsating, and the 'Busa does indeed stop on a dime that way! I'm waiting to upgrade the brake lines until I get my LSL/ABM handlebars though, they *still* dont' have a kit for ABS 'Busas! Grrr...

Back