My first road trip

Robster

Registered
Just did my first road trip on my Busa. I road from San Mateo to Los Angeles and took the 101 route (much nicer than hwy 5). I stayed at a friend's place in LA and the next day, we rode 300 miles to Las Vegas for the Big Twins show. The show was sort of interesting. Really, it is a trade show, and they open it up for the public on Sunday. I took photos of quite a few choppers. I don't gamble, but I do eat and drink, and am a semi-trekkie (so I went to the Star Trek Experience at the Hilton).

My bike is stock except for the Puig windscreen, the Suzuki 'Gel' seat, and heli-bar bar risers. I was fairly comfortable most of the way. However, on the way home, my butt was a bit sore, but that is to be expected.

101 is a fairly nice route. Once you get near LA, you can see the ocean.

The only scary bit was on hwy 15 on the approach to the Mojave. It was ultra windy. I had a throttle rocker on the handle bar and it was sticking up a bit. Well, the wind began to move me, in a not so friendly way and as I tried to slow down, accidentally pressed the throttle rocker and began to speed up a bit. I was leaned into the wind quite a bit, but was blown across two lanes!!! I remembered that experience, and on the way home, was hit with the same winds. This time, I decreased my speed and leaned far into it (like your cornering). I also used a truck, at one point, and road in its shadow (slightly to the left and towards the back end), which works quite well.

Well, I know you guys live pix. I'll attach a link, as soon as I upload them.

Cheers,
Rob

Sounds like you had a good time all told. I love the open rides, just wish more of my buddies could keep up. They ride 600's-1k and often complain about wrists, buttocks, legs cramping hurting etc.. I roll the throttlemeister down and ride the breeze. Mojave gusts do suck big time though. Glad you made.

Charlie

very cool!
beerchug.gif
thanks for sharing

Thanks, for pics. I hate the wind too. Hate those crosswinds when it gets you and then gets you a different way.....

Thanks for the pics. I been through the windy areas you were talking about on a bike and also driving an 18 wheeler. It can really suck weather you're on a Busa or driving a big truck . Sounds like you had a pretty good time though.

Thanks for sharing
beerchug.gif
. The flag chopper is very cool; I like the way the made it look like a flag is draped over it. Not as cool as your Busa, though
smile.gif

The Busa truly is made for long distance.

The tailbag rig you're using looks very similar to mine. Nice setup!

--Wag--

(Robster @ Dec. 09 2006,18:21) Just did my first road trip on my Busa. I road from San Mateo to Los Angeles and took the 101 route (much nicer than hwy 5). I stayed at a friend's place in LA and the next day, we rode 300 miles to Las Vegas for the Big Twins show. The show was sort of interesting. Really, it is a trade show, and they open it up for the public on Sunday. I took photos of quite a few choppers. I don't gamble, but I do eat and drink, and am a semi-trekkie (so I went to the Star Trek Experience at the Hilton).

My bike is stock except for the Puig windscreen, the Suzuki 'Gel' seat, and heli-bar bar risers. I was fairly comfortable most of the way. However, on the way home, my butt was a bit sore, but that is to be expected.

101 is a fairly nice route. Once you get near LA, you can see the ocean.

The only scary bit was on hwy 15 on the approach to the Mojave. It was ultra windy. I had a throttle rocker on the handle bar and it was sticking up a bit. Well, the wind began to move me, in a not so friendly way and as I tried to slow down, accidentally pressed the throttle rocker and began to speed up a bit. I was leaned into the wind quite a bit, but was blown across two lanes!!! I remembered that experience, and on the way home, was hit with the same winds. This time, I decreased my speed and leaned far into it (like your cornering). I also used a truck, at one point, and road in its shadow (slightly to the left and towards the back end), which works quite well.

Well, I know you guys live pix. I'll attach a link, as soon as I upload them.

Cheers,
Rob
Counter-steering...., no reason to risk getting blown accross two lanes!

wow.gif

Back