My first install.. one question to start with :)

gulag

Registered
Hi gang..

Im installing a mixed kit on my 04 Busa..
It has the Mr Turbo headers and plenum, and a Hahn's turbocharger..
Im probably gonna ask some questions (probably some stupid ones also) but Im starting with an easy one..i hope

I have the Power Commander V, with the Auto Tune, it worked fine making good maps for me last summer, (I did a Cam timing)
So what Im wondering, will it work after the turbo install? have any of you used the auto tune for a turbo bike?
(to save the "go on a dyno" answers,, I do not have access to a Dyno..)

thanks...

some people have used it with success. in my opinion, it does not sample fast enough, therefore the corrections are made after you've passed the area that needs them.

my advice would be to take it to the dyno and cerify that it is actually doing what you want it to do. motors are alot more expensive than dyno time

auto tune isnt what everyone makes it out to be. your only option is to get with a good tuner and datalog the bike and give it a road tune. look up ecu flash while your at it.

Autotune on a turbo bike is a good way to turn your engine into a boat anchor. Normally-aspirated bikes can be very forgiving when it comes to A/F, running at 14 and 15:1 in some cases while you "tune" and try to get it down to the proper A/F.
A turbo engine - on boost - will not survive at the wrong A/F. I agree with blk02ws6 - autotune will not sample quick enough.

I do also have a Innovate Wideband sensor/logger.. I used to have it in the bike, maybe its a better choice than the auto tune?

Just received some goodies from Mr. Turbo, parts that were missing for the kit..

Ive seen that people remove an oil restrictor behind the oil filter, do I need to do that if I use a hose between the oil passages where the oil cooler was connected?

like this...

motor3.jpg

Just received some goodies from Mr. Turbo, parts that were missing for the kit..

Ive seen that people remove an oil restrictor behind the oil filter, do I need to do that if I use a hose between the oil passages where the oil cooler was connected?

like this...

motor3.jpg

If you are using that external hose, do not touch the oil restrictor behind the filter, leave it alone.
If you are NOT using that external hose, and want to use block off plates (a cleaner look), remove the restrictor.:rulez:

can someone send me a base map for this setup? I have the Power commander 5, I can migrate maps from PCIII if someone has a map for that PC..

Im gonna run 7-8 pounds, I have a regular fuel pressure regulator, .. I just need something to get me started..
please, if someone can help email to: gulag67 [at] gmail.com

on the subject,, should I get me a rising rate regulator? ..? instead of the regular regulator...

can someone send me a base map for this setup? I have the Power commander 5, I can migrate maps from PCIII if someone has a map for that PC..

Im gonna run 7-8 pounds, I have a regular fuel pressure regulator, .. I just need something to get me started..
please, if someone can help email to: gulag67 [at] gmail.com

on the subject,, should I get me a rising rate regulator? ..? instead of the regular regulator...

If you are running only the four stock injectors, you will need a rising rate regulator (FMU).

Any advice on which FMU I should get?

I have this fuel regulator:

fpreg.jpg

That right there is exactly what you need. If you are running stock injectors, you want to use that big center screw to set the idling fuel pressure at 43 pounds. The little brass screw (not seen in the pic) at a right angle to the main body is the bleed screw. It determines the "rate of gain". Set it at 1 turn out. Then hit the dyno.:laugh:

hehe,, ah well,, you live and learn :)

one more.. do you guys use a support bracket for the turbocharger? I have seen it but not on all setups..

The turbo you have is probably a Mitsubishi 16g. You shouldn't need a support bracket, it's little.
If you can't find a base map shoot me a PM, I think I have a few on my garage computer. Probably close enough that the bike will run, but I would NOT recommend riding it until you get it on a dyno. I realize you are in Iceland, but how far away is the closest tuner with turbo experience?

thanks for all the info guys... it's really helping !!

2 more..

I really want to hide the air fiter under the fairing, is that a problem due to leaning out or something?

and

What boost do you recommend,, I have a stock engine (just timed cams).
Ive heard 6 lbs, will give me around 220hp..

would going to 7-8lbs, on 95oct (europe) gas be ok? (not sure if the european octane rating is the same as the US..) and what HP could I be seeing?

Back