My first Hayabusa

PA99Busa

Registered
Hey all, iv'e been a lurker for a while now and figured I should finally register to share my story and pics.....

This a long write up, sorry. You can skip to the pics if you don't like to read or care to know my entire life story.

A little background:

Been riding for almost ten years off and on, had a few 600's, a 1000, and now my first Hayabusa. Iv'e ridden my buddies 06 a few years back and loved it, I knew i had to have one at some point in my life. Fast forward a few more years, just bought a mint 04 gsxr 600 almost a year ago and loved it. A deal recently came up for this 99 Hayabusa my buddy was selling, $3,000. I quickly sold my 600 and snagged up the iconic machine. It was dirty, abused, chrome all over, and ran rough. I didn't care, these bikes are the cadillacs of sport bikes, I didn't want this bike, i NEEDED it! Before i even brought it home, I had a "wishlist" of parts and mods i had wanted to do. Haha I dont waste any time. I did every bit of research I could on the Hauabusa and in particular, the 99. I was a bit overwhelmed at first with all of the known issues with the first two years of production, but nontheless, i dove in and started modding it.

First thing first, figure out the rough running issue. Had a throttle body clean and sync, new plugs, and the whole bike checked over. All good, so far. A few weeks go by and she starts running "funny" again. Cutting out on me, bogging, etc. At this point i'm figuring all the obvious... Coils, tps, fuel pump, fuel filter, etc etc etc So i dropped it off at my local friends shop and we decided to swap out the 99 fuel system to the 08 tank and pump set up to start, as the 99-00 are known for pump issues. New tank and pump installed! Now the bike actually runs, not 100% yet. But at least it wont leave me stranded due to the pump. I'll tackle the tps and coils next to try and narrow it down.

As far as mods go, i was told this bike has cams, no way to tell unless i take off the valve cover. Im not overly concerned enough to do that. So yea, it has cams i guess. It also has the pair valve mod, K&N air filter with air box mod, and had a full Muzzy exhaust. It also has the tiger tail set up and a peg mounted tag bracket. Not a bad start.

Time to start on MY "wishlist". Up first? A Brock's shorty Alien head. Ive ran this pipe on my Kawi and LOVED it. Had to have it again, obviously! Next up, lowered. I'm short and have a thing for lowered bikes. Especially the Hayabusa. Lowering links in the rear and a lowering tripple tree for the front squared that away. Next i ended up doing new Shinko front and rear tires, new front rotors and pads, and a cut and re covered seat. And a smoked windscreen to bring us up to it's current state. She's not pretty or finished by any means, but i feel this is great progress considering ive only had it for two months. I truly love riding this bike, i cant wait to get it up to par.

FINALLY!!!! SOME PICS!!!! I know, the tank doesn't match, the entire bike will be resprayed so no point in painting the tank until i decide on a color. Future mods, mirror bolk offs, either a 300 kit or a 360, air ride etc etc etc. All things ive done to my previous bikes.

busa.jpg

Busa (2).jpg

Busa (3).jpg

Bike.jpg

bikeee.jpg

Bike.JPG1.jpg

khbsdv.jpg

Nice looking scoot- welcome. Just out of curiosity, if you are thinking that coils are an issue, why not change them when you replaced the tank... Or better yet, when you did the sync? Strange that she straightened up and then started acting up again... Let us know if we can help!

Nice looking scoot- welcome. Just out of curiosity, if you are thinking that coils are an issue, why not change them when you replaced the tank... Or better yet, when you did the sync? Strange that she straightened up and then started acting up again... Let us know if we can help!

From the beginning I assumed it was the coils, but every one I talked to said no way. Coils don't go bad, so I just let it slide. But, last night I took the time and lifted the tank and air box and swapped out the coils for a set I had gotten from a buddy. Well guess what?! ALL FIXED NOW!! Almost perfect, now to smooth out the last little bit, since the air box mod is known to cause so low end bogging, a power commander.

This MIGHT be the last pic I post of the bike in this state lol. I'm rounding up the 04 black and purple plastics and a gen 2 tail swap over the winter. Should look just a tad different come spring time! :super:

BuSa.jpg

Had some fun with the Gen 2, I got the jump and stayed in front. :thumbsup: Gen 2 has full brocks system, power commander & K&N filter.

Back