My fellow gun owners..need some help

lil charlie

Registered
I need some help finding a safe or gun storage that I can put in my bedroom yet still allows quick access for my wife in a panic situation. How to you guys store your guns n your house? I have little one laying around so I can keep my pistol in a nightstand or lean the shotgun up in the corner of the room like I did before I had kids.

You see.. My wife and I live in a very nice area of town but Houston is still the 4th largest city in the USA so crime is still crime no matter what area of town you live in. A suspected serial rapist just got the lady about 15 houses away and I want my wife to be better protected. We have an alarm but she hates dogs so that's out of the question.

I know they make some sort of system (like a bar run at a 45 degree angle) that you can bolt to the floor and door to keep it from being kick in

I was thinking of a biometric safe to keep in the BR for her to get to her SW .38 in a hurry but don't know which brands are good. Anyone have one??? Pros and Cons of what you have?

I once saw a magnetic locking system where you can store a shot gun on your bed frame or mounted to a rail in a closet but cant find it for the life of me.

Let me know what you have or website you know of on where I can find this stuff

My wife knows how to use guns but because of the kids we keep everything lock up tight as a drum in a safe that will not work in panic situations.

I seem to remember Guy from Tiger Racing posting up about have a gun holster company but I can find that thread.

ThX

Kevin

they bio metrics are quick access yes...as long as hands are clean...not sweaty...or greasy or doing dishes and wet...ect ect ect.. my recommendation is, depending on age..i keep mine up on top shelves or actually i keep my rifles and pistols locked in gun cabinet and my 1911 is above my gun cabinet where only my wife and i can reach if he grand kids are here or not. (they 3 and 4) my daughter is 16 and has been shooting pistols for years now...if i cant trust her with a gun (and have it available for HER PROTECTION) if we are not home...then i have FAILED as a parent. also look into all the different things you can hang on a wall that holds guns (can you guarantee you will always be in the bedroom when someone breaks in?..remember stupid does not have a schedule) and allow fast access. (they are things like pictures and clocks and stuff like that) so if you want to feel comfortable that you can protect yourself and eliminate access to children...you need to seriously analyze the potential danger of both in-access...and access..

First, secure the doors with something like this Amazon.com: Cardinal Gates Door Guardian, Antique Brass: Baby

I bought some for my home, they are very discrete and work very well. There are some videos out there where someone is literally kicking in the door, but cannot get in.

The problem with safes that are fingerprint, combo, etc is that the battery may die on you and if you need the weapon the hassle of a dead battery is the last thing you want to deal with. There are in wall storage options if you own the home. Something like the picture below. There are a lot of options, the hard part is finding out what is right for you and your family.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSipE7r4DGW67Kz4rkq6gobVFLWYDTDzNGBmCdqgbMwEIZAayQZ.jpg

My kids are all ages. 1 year old, 3 year old and 11 year old boys and a 15 year old daughter.

I don't want to leave guns on shelves or anything like that. I don't know about you guys but I snooped around a lot as a kid and knew all my parents hiding places. My idle kids have been trained with guns but kids brains are not fully devolved and the last thing I want to do is leave them access to guns and have them lose there cool one day.

I can't guaranty my wife will be in the bedroom when she needs it which is why I'm also looking and door bars similar to the one listed above. I only need to slow the criminal down long enough for my wife to get to her pistol where she can take care of herself and the kids. I know no "system" is perfect. I just need something to keep the little ones out but let my wife in quickly.

The biometric safe I saw had a battery and an AC/DC plug so you always had power. The battery is for back up purposes only and has a light on the front letting you know if it was dead or not.

The following is purely IMHO and others may NOT agree.

I only keep automatics in the house for home defense. I keep in nightstand with mag in but round not chambered. Pump shotgun too, and we won't mention the other 'bad-guy welcome gifts". My daughter does not yet (but will, soon enough I fear) have the strength or manual dexterity to charge it - my wife can't hardly, either. The moment she gets strong enough, I'm going to have to come up with a different solution. I've got one of those small safes, but I'm more afraid my wife won't be able to get it open in panic (negating the concept).

First, secure the doors with something like this Amazon.com: Cardinal Gates Door Guardian, Antique Brass: Baby

I bought some for my home, they are very discrete and work very well. There are some videos out there where someone is literally kicking in the door, but cannot get in.

The problem with safes that are fingerprint, combo, etc is that the battery may die on you and if you need the weapon the hassle of a dead battery is the last thing you want to deal with. There are in wall storage options if you own the home. Something like the picture below. There are a lot of options, the hard part is finding out what is right for you and your family.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSipE7r4DGW67Kz4rkq6gobVFLWYDTDzNGBmCdqgbMwEIZAayQZ.jpg

I am a HUGE fan of "hide in plain sight" designs, and find that these may be more effective than a safe. Where did you get this pic? do you have a link to some other designs?

I've had a similar idea just never gotten around to it....

I'm looking for something like this

ShotLock Solo-Vault Universal Shotgun Safe - 1001

but biometric

I want to keep it loaded and chambered so all she has to do (the 1st time) is pull the trigger, them pump and pull until she's out.

I also want a small safe for her pistol.

I want a bar for the door too

I like the mirror safe shown above but my fear is one of the small kids will lean on it and expose the guns

oh, i like this..

Last edited by a moderator:
lol...

why the hell would you need that ...???

happy to be in Canada...quite little suburb in laval quebec...:thumbsup:

lol...

why the hell would you need that ...???

happy to be in Canada...quite little suburb in laval quebec...:thumbsup:

2011 stat...lol " The Laval Police seized $21 million worth of illicit drugs last year, including more than 14,000 cannabis plants that could be processed into 991 kgs. of marijuana. "

This is what me and my wife have in our bedroom MV500-STD - MIcrovault | GunVault | GunVault About $90 on amazon We both love it and can access the gun in approx. 2 seconds. I change my batteries once a year so I don't need to worry about it not opening. Glock 26 in it with one in the chamber :thumbsup:

I was looking the the larger one of this same brand. It has a lot of positive reviews. People chief complaint was that it beeps when it opens and some people don't want that so the criminals don't know your there. I like the universal "get out of my house sound" that racking a chamber into a 12 gage makes so I don't see any issues with some beeping. Does yours beep and is it loud?

Some women have issues with pump action shotguns, especially in a panic situation. I would highly recommend a semi-auto shotgun like a Remington for those situations.

Back