My faith in bike shops is fading.

GMbusa

Orange is the fastest
Donating Member
Registered
Alittle long, but I have to vent some.

I've had my Busa engine at a local bike shop next to my work the last couple weeks. They were slammed with work but the mechanic said he could do my topend no problem.  
Here's what I was looking to get done.  
New head gasket, Carpenter valve springs and APE screw in studs.  
Sounds easy enough huh?  Wait, there's more.

So, right after I dropped off the engine the work load doubled there. The amount of bikes there is incredible. Still the mechanic insisted he could do it no problem.  
Since the guy was doing this for little cash I could wait.
1.5 weeks go by. I would stop by after work and peek through the door and would notice it hasn't moved. I don't want to be one of those PITA customers that won't leave you alone to work. Though my concern/irritation started building.  I mean, it wasn't like I was rebuilding the entire thing, just a gasket and some springs.

2 weeks go by. Nothing.  No movment, no attempt at doing anything.  I'd know if something would of moved, as I put the engine there in the first place. Atleast he could of removed the head or something. I had the mechanics cell number and used it. After a few minutes of talking and me telling him that I really need the motor back, he says "Alright, I'll get it done" It was a easy conversation with no anger on either side.

I call a couple days later to check the progress. I mentioned that I absolutely need it by friday(Today). "I promise you will have it" is what I heard.  So I made plans to assemble my bike and finally finish it.

I go in today and look over at the engine. Nothing. NOTHING!!  The gasket and other parts were still sitting on top where I left them.  Come to find out that the mechanic never even wrote a work order on it and the guys at the shop were told by the mechanic that it was his sidework and to not worry about it.  Plus, they just fired the guy this morning(Can you blame them?).  Now after losing almost 3 weeks for nothing I have the engine sitting in the back of my truck. I'm beyond pissed.
Not violent, but extremely let down. My plans and whole weekend are toast.  

What a f'en waste of time.  Screw it, I'm gonna do it myself. I should of done it the first go around.

Ever been this way? I'm so beyond irritated that I'm sitting here almost numb. Just kinda staring at the screen, deer in the headlights deal.

sorry to hear that... doing side work at work? eeeek.... glad you got your stuff back actually... things could have gone much worse..

This isn't a dealership. It's an independant smaller shop. So sidework is common from what I understand. Though I wasn't told that my engine was the sidework. I needed it done in a certain amount of time. Sidework is done whenever.

Ever been this way?  I'm so beyond irritated that I'm sitting here almost numb.  Just kinda staring at the screen, deer in the headlights deal.
As a matter of fact..yes.

Remember the FJR purchase? Before they fixed there screw ups I had made one payment on the damn thing.

Breaking the glove box lid open was the topper!
sadnews.gif

Phssst. Opens with the key.

r8

108_0885.JPG

Try not to get that way, but it does happen sometimes. Sorry to hear it.

Yeah bro.. That sure is irritating. My painter is notorious for saying it will take 5-6days and taking three or four weeks.

Paul do you have a good valve spring compresser? Oyher than that, just follow the manual, it not hard!
Also how much boost are you going to be running?
Are you using a spacer plate?

Sucks to be you.

I had the same problem in the past. Droped off car for a clutch. After 1 month I told him I have to have my car. He said I would be fine I have 2 other cars. Just took it back and did it myself...I guess he did me a favor in the long run. Now I do all my own work.

been there, i feel your pain, its getting very hard to find competent people to do things...
banghead.gif

I feel for you, GM. I've got a swingarm at the local dealer to press in the pivot bearings that came in two weeks ago today. Maybe Busa stuff is automatically back burner stuff. Live and learn, but I don't have a lot of choices of shops here.

Red05, here's how you install those swingarm bearings.

Get a piece of threadall about 18-24inches long, big washers and a nut for each end.  

1. Start the bearing in the swingarm with your hand on one side, then take a mallet and tap it a couple times lightly to seat it.

2. Stick the threadall through the bearing and through the arm. Put a washer&nut on each end and tighten slowly at first.

3. The bearing will automaticly seat itself and just tighten the nut till the bearing is flush.

4. Install the spacer if there is one and do the same install for the other bearing.  

5. Insert the sleeves that go inside the bearings and your done!

Sorry to hear about issue.Put it on a pallet and ship here with a note will have it back out in a week,2 weeks tops.

Damn, I feel your pain!! I've had shops do the same thing to me before. I've ordered parts, and they say they can get it in 3 days. But 6 weeks later, still hasn't arrived. That's why it's worth taking that motorcycle repair/rebuild course at the local Junior College and DIY. At least if you don't meet your own deadlines, you know who to blame..
winkold.gif

I know that pain. I had a shop take 4 weeks to change a tire. That's why I'm willing to drive 8 hours round trip to Smithers to get work done on Luci. They do what they say when they say.

Back