My Experience With OZ Wheels on a Gen II Hayabusa.

EarlyBird

Donating Member
Registered
I started another thread about my PIEGA OZ RIMS I got from Motowheels-Motorcycle Performance Products for Ducati, MV Agusta, Aprilia, KTM - Rancho Cordova - Sacramento (Nick Kister is who I dealt with, thanks to BigE!):bowdown: This was my second attempt at getting a set of rims for the busa. My goal was, I wanted something lighter then stock, something nice looking, and something different from stock. The installation of the rims was pretty straight forward, with the exception of no instructions, no torque spec's, nada! I emailed Nick, and he emailed back. I was instructed to use all the factory torque specs, except for the rear sprocket nuts, which are 50 newton meters. (I torqued them to 40 ftlbs.) (stock was 43.5ftlbs)

I only got a few short rides in after the install of the rims (5 miles). I could tell something was different but really didnt get the full on experience of the swap from stock to the OZ's. I did about 60 miles round trip to and from work with a little back road riding, so I had a good feel to what my daily ride on the busa usually feels like before the swap. What I noticed at first is that neighborhood cruising (25-30mph), the busa is a bit more nimble. Then as the cruising speeds increased and a few more lane changes (35-45 mph), I noticed the busa didnt feel as weighted in the bars as with the stock rims. Easier to push and pull the bars to maneuver the busa from side to side. Then as I got on to the highway on ramp (55mph+:whistle:), I started my assault on the few corners that I love to maneuver through. After making the slow right, to the quick left to the quick right to merge left onto the highway, it left me thinking that was easier then I remember. Gave me that GSXR 1000 feeling! The other thing that caught me was how much speed it seems to pick up. It accelerates easier with less throttle. I had to be careful, I normally run 65-70mph with traffic, and was running 75mph-80mph. The busa seems to rev a bit quicker too when getting on it. Like I added another tooth to the rear sprocket.(currently +3 on the rear like I was with the stock rims.) The front wheel lifts easier then I remember in first, and second it now tries to climb more at the top of the rev's. I was glad to get to work safely and on time with no driving awards.

My trip home is by highway and is usually worse on the way home, especially merging with traffic. I had to aggressively merge into traffic as nobody was cutting anybody any slack. It took less effort to get into the lanes that were open, and for me to safely get away from everyone. I had to make a detour to the folks home to drop off a part. When I left, I hit the back roads to get away from the crazy traffic. It gave me time to realize that the busa felt firmer in the suspension. (Like I clicked up both rebound and compression 1 click tighter.) With the stock rims it was slightly softer with the same setting I am running. I also noticed that the drive line is a bit more abrupt over stock. The cush drive on the OZ's are polyurethane, so less drive line dampening then the stock rubber cush drive. That also means more direct power to the rear tire. Not to worries there, it just means I need to be smoother when shifting gears.:laugh: While almost home I had a pretty smooth road and little traffic, again more time to FEEL what the busa is doing. I noticed more feed back in the bars, bumps, dips, etc. Again more like my GXSR1000! The best I can describe this upgrade, is it dynamic!

I arrive home and notice some chain lube and some dirt on the OZ Piega rims. A simple spray and wipe on the rim and 5 spokes with "PLEGDE"......."AND CLEAN"!:cheerleader: If I had the CZ's or Marchesini's I would be there still!:poke::laugh: I was asked to take some more pictures of the Busa with its new Italian slippers in some sunlight. So here you go!

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

Yeah Tim your right. You should have ridden mine at the bash because that's exactly how it felt before and after. For me I really like the easier ability to change lanes at speed. I do a lot of hgwy riding and it's much easier to just flip it over a lane. Glad you're happy with them.

I wondered what wheels those were. But out of curiosity, why didn't you get BST wheels instead?

I wondered what wheels those were. But out of curiosity, why didn't you get BST wheels instead?

BST more expensive at $3999 versus $1800 for the OZ's. CZ's same price range of my OZ's, with Marchesini's costing $2500. That's the reason why $$$$.... Carbon equals OH MY GOD EXPENSIVE!:laugh:

Did you happen to weigh them before you out them on to see what the difference was between them and stock? I love the way these look.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you Tim. Great looking set of wheels. :beerchug:

You didn't order the special pewter anodizing?:poke: Those look awesome. I suppose it doesn't take much weight to make a big dirrerence when it's unsprung rolling weight. Thanks for hooking me on this mod guys, it's going to cost me.

I did weigh the both rear wheels assemblies. The difference was 2.5 to 3.0 lbs total on a bathroom scale. The front I didnt get to do, due to being side tracked during that process. :banghead: But I can now tell you at speeds well over 100-140mph, I can really tell that they are lighter. The busa flicks easily from apex to apex, and again it accelerates easier. Less throttle to do the same work. The workout I use to get from the stock rims, is now 30-40% easier with the OZ's!:thumbsup: It really feels like a big GSXR now!:laugh: It is a more flickable bike!

great looking wheels now i know what mine will look like soon, do you plan on changing the kanji or leaving it gold?

The Kanji is staying, it goes with the Ti pipe. Pm Golden Child to to see what he can do for you, if interested in a set! I am really impressed with them more so today then yesterday. I got to rail on a high speed twisty road that I know well, and the difference was felt more so there. Like I said before its a dynamic type of mod! It gets better with speed! I am trying to head out to the fall bash too, so you may get to see them first hand!:laugh:

Back