My EDC knife was dirty...

With regards to Germany I'm not sure if I would call it a gun culture. But when my dad's unit arrived in Germany near the end of the 2nd world war, the civilians were instructed to surrender all weapons to their camp. Apprently it was quite a large pile :) I think a lot of the difference between Canada and the USA is our history. Not all but many early settlers fled Europe to the US for various reasons. Where as many but not all Canadian pioneers came by choice. We negotiated our original independence. The USA fought for theirs. These things have a way of being ingrained into a culture.
The whole country at that time was embroiled in war so a collection of weapons was to be expected. Weapons collected were primarily shotguns and bolt action rifles designed for hunting.
Much like when we were in Bosnia and were confiscating weapons, we found weapons of all makes and models from MP-40s, MG-39s, to Thompsons, Uzis and everything in between.
When a country is at war, all bets are off, one must look at the peace-time status of the country in question. Germany definitely did not pose as a gun culture before or after the wars fought, only during.

The US were fighting occupation of British troops as they did not accept colonization. The main difference is we (Canada) did, if we did not, we would have been very similar to the US (or part of them). The war of 1812 was fought between the US and British as Canada was not a formed independent country at that time as wasn't until 1867.

lies damn lies and statistics :). most of Canadas gun issues are criminally related Yer in an effort to be seen to be doing something our gooberment passes more laws to make gun ownership more restrictive Which of course will be followed only by the law abiding amoung us. I am torn about the differences in ownership issues between Us and our neighbours to the south On the one hand we do not have the defend yourself ability they do However we do not quite have the major shootings by civilians that have so sadly and recently plagued their society. From the criminal element we are on par in that we both have that problem. I do not have the answers. but I do seek them and with the elections coming up both municipally and federally maybe something can be done to find a reasonable
balance. I am not holding my breath
breath

lies damn lies and statistics :). most of Canadas gun issues are criminally related Yer in an effort to be seen to be doing something our gooberment passes more laws to make gun ownership more restrictive Which of course will be followed only by the law abiding amoung us. I am torn about the differences in ownership issues between Us and our neighbours to the south On the one hand we do not have the defend yourself ability they do However we do not quite have the major shootings by civilians that have so sadly and recently plagued their society. From the criminal element we are on par in that we both have that problem. I do not have the answers. but I do seek them and with the elections coming up both municipally and federally maybe something can be done to find a reasonable
balance. I am not holding my breath
breath
Oddly enough Toronto has had more gun related deaths this year than in many other years...Guns are out there and bad guys have them.

Most likes - Past 7 days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STICKYT81