My Dealer says the 600 mile valve clearance must..

No need to check them that early, let alone adjust them.

What are you doing letting your dealer service your bike, anyway?
laugh.gif

All they did for mine was change the oil and tighten the chain... Plus check all bolt heads were tight.

My Kawa Concours needed the valves adjusted on the first maintenence and it was a little costly!

Hey GSXR1300!

I would recommend just calling a few other dealerships and get a detailed explanation and price for what is needed at the 600 mile service. Sounds like your dealer and Big Wall's dealer may be taking you for the proverbial ride.

Just a thought, but both of the Suzuki dealers I talked to here in Tampa said no valve adjustment.

Tighten Chain, change the Oil, check fasteners, and check the plugs.

Well first off, I am not paying them for this service, its free because of my repore with the people at this small dealership, they included this first service when they sold the bike to me.
So I dont understand why they are insisting they will and must do the valve clearance check!
I even told them I did not think it was necessary & they dindnt need to Actually Check them just change the oil and check fasteners. And yet they insist the need to check the vlaves & will.
Weird.
QUESTION:
Should I tell them no thanks just do my oil change.
Even though they insist on the valve check.

I just dont want them not getting it back together right & messing something up.l

Dude, If it's free tell them to go to it!!! Why even worry about it? Can't really hurt if the Mech. is competant. While your at it, do your brakes feel mushy? Ask them to bleed the brakes while they have it, made a big difference to mine.

Dude, if you have a real good relationship with the dealer, like you really trust them and they give you a warm fuzzy then carry on and count yourself lucky!

Dude, If it's free tell them to go to it!!!  Why even worry about it?  Can't really hurt if the Mech. is competant.  While your at it, do your brakes feel mushy?  Ask them to bleed the brakes while they have it, made a big difference to mine.  

Dude, if you have a real good relationship with the dealer, like you really trust them and they give you a warm fuzzy then carry on and count yourself lucky!
What he said
idea.gif

I asked my place where I bought mine today.. they said bring it in for 1000 miles and valves were not being adjusted.

Does this mean they should be? I just assumed they were hydraulic like my dad's 2001 Intruder 1500..

I asked my place where I bought mine today.. they said bring it in for 1000 miles and valves were not being adjusted.

Does this mean they should be?  I just assumed they were hydraulic like my dad's 2001 Intruder 1500..
gsx1300rsilver....if you trust yer tech , go 4 it .

In reality the valves SHOULD NOT need attention for a while.

Diagnosis over the internet......blows . This knock,that ping,that sound.....it makes a sound like bacon frying when I push the starter button .

Maybe he has heard something (yer tech) . I can hear a collapsed lifter on a small block chevy at 300 paces . I can smell a rich carburetor at a thousand . Thats me .

o......
the quote......
To me , 1000 miles is odd .
This is not yer fathers Intruder.
They are not HYDRAULIC.....
they are "Bucket Type" SHIMS .
They do need service.....just not that qwik...supposeadly.

The valve adjustment check for my bike was included in the price of the first check up. It did sound better when I picked it up so I guess they did adjust them.

You should not even be messing with the valve clearances that early. Think about it, your engine heat cycles over time, hence the 'break-in' period. Chances are, you have not dyno'd or race treated the engine, so it is just now at its post-break-in period. Changing the shims now could very likely cause the clearances to be out-of-spec within a few thousand miles.

Just leave them alone. I have already seen a few bikes go into 'scheduled' service running perfect, only to return barely running with the dealer denying any fault.

If you want a description of what is involved in a clearance check and adjustment, let me know. I feel knowing exactly what is done and why is important, even (or rather especially) if you have someone else work on the bike.

As per another discussion, if you must have a dealer work on your bike, add a bead of silicone around the main seals (valve seal, oil pan seal, etc.) and take 'before' pics so that you know for sure if the said work has actually been done.

Of couse, in my opinion, that is more effort that actually doing it myself. ;)

Back