My D.A. moment to maybe help someone else

KvHotDog4

Registered
So I have been reading post and it seems that the thing going around is to post up our moment of not thinking and then being slapped in the face with an, "oh crap, now what?!" moment in hopes of helping someone else.
I am very embarrassed by mine but it is very dangerous if repeated so here goes.....

I have been working on my curving skills in the twisties, and thanks to the advice from Skydivr I feel I am getting pretty good or at least more trusting of the bike. I didn't have a problem getting off the bike in slower corners but when it came to the higher speeds I couldn't get the nerve to slide over, but now I feel I am doing pretty good still get the nerves but I can over look alot of them. Now to my D.A. moment . . . the other day I was cleaning up my bike and it was a wash, wax, polish and protect kinda clean not a spec of dust anywhere, well while doing the final touching up I always take tire shine on a rag and go over the black parts like the mirror, dash parts and the very outter and lower portion of the tires (not my D.A. moment I am very careful here). Well I noticed my seats were looking kinda dull so I just put a light coating over them to keep them from dry rotting just kind of a conditioning thing. I don't always do this but have before.
Well the next day I go out and do my usual twisties road to practice. Turn on the road and wrap the throttle come up on the first curve, its a hard right but easily entered at 90 and coming out around 110 - 120 come through it great off the bike and close to the ground (still not brave enough to put my knee out) then the next straight about 3/4 mile, open her up then comes the left, right, left, right and then another right. I slow to about 60 for this. I lean to the left no problem, off the bike, everything is great then comes the immediate right get the bike up and in the process of sliding to the other side it feels like I am sitting on grease as I am sliding and throwing the bike down is feels like she is trying to throw me off!! I was able to hang on but I believe if the curve had been just a bit longer I would have simply just fell off. As soon as the curve was over I straighted up and braked before the next set of curves then took it very easy the rest of the day.
Moral of this story is don't polish the seat :banghead::banghead: and if you condition it make sure its not still slippery when you get on:banghead:
I came out lucky but it was still very scary and I hope this helps someone else.

I actually prefer my seat to be slick. Makes transferring my body from one side to the other easier. You should be holding your body on the bike with your legs, not your butt.

Ditto. A slick seat helps with the transition. Nothing like trying to get off the seat and finding that your leathers stuck to it. Pucker moment.

Kevin, putting something that slick on the seat not a good idea. And while it looks good on the tires, that's definitely something you need to be very careful about if you are gonna ride the twisties. Moving around on your seat is one thing (which you should be using your knees to hold onto the tank), but sliding off is another...

There are PLENTY of people on here who are better at giving advice than me, but I think most of those would agree with the following: Running 90, 110, or 120 on the streets that I rode with you on the other day and taking curves with jeans on, is a recipe for disaster. One wrong move, one rock, speck of dirt, dead bird, etc., and you are gonna be in for a WORLD of hurt. If there is ANY advice I could give you it would be: SLOW DOWN until you can get some decent gear, and come do a trackday! You will learn more with one day on the racetrack than you could learn in a year on the street. I'd really hate to see you get hurt or tear up that purty black busa...

Way to go on posting up....it's the only way to learn.

lastly, have you thought about coming to the Fall Bash and riding the Dragon? Maybe we could work out an arrangment where we could travel together I've probably got room on my trailer..

Last edited:
You only live once, never know when your meters up, enjoy what you can while you can :laugh: hookers, big risks, high speeds, life would be a bore without'em :thumbsup:

You only live once, never know when your meters up, enjoy what you can while you can :laugh: Baaaaaaahhhhhh!, big risks, high speeds, life would be a bore without'em :thumbsup:

I always say that to (I know I push it too hard sometimes also) but my Mom always says "who says you're going to die, you could end up being on life support, or just lose your legs, and LIVE for another 40 years". Now it's not the dying I'm afraid of........it's the living through what should have killed me that scares the crap out of me.

Back