My Colorrite experience.

I wish you would hurry up. Painting white seems to be even slower than riding white:poke:
:laugh:

Sorry your having a tough time with it. I hope you get it all sorted soon:please:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I wish you would hurry up. Painting white seems to be even slower than riding white:poke:

Sorry your having a tough time with it. I hope you get it all sorted soon:please:

Painting is not my thing, I learned this years ago and for some reason I figured that I am older now and I have more patience (learned this waiting for black busas to catch up) that I would attempt this job.. Damn I could have pulled the engine and rebuilt it in less time I have into this painting bullchit:banghead:
Also if you find a primer that works STICK with it! Duplicolor Scratch Filler Gray primer lays well and the paint lays nicely on it. Krylon Plastic Primer and Duplicolors White Sandable primer SUCK!!
So basically where I am at is..........
Strip down the 3 pieces, prime, sand, prep and spray..:banghead: Or make it a street fighter and have more time to drink beer.:beerchug:

Well after many hours of sanding, priming, cleaning, and spraying base, top and clear, the 2nd package from Colorrite is better but still has that bluish smokey haze color to it. So I decided to try a brighter white base coat. Grabbed a scoop and of to Oriellys I went searching in there paint area. Grabbed a few cans off the shelf walked outside to compare to the scoop and came up with a bright white. Took it home sprayed just a small prepped corner and it looks better then the Colorrites base they gave me, I think if I work the top pearl in I can get it close not perfect and havent decided yet if I can settle on a bike I haven't had a year yet.

Word to anyone else that comes into this position other options.
1) Do as the other user stated take it somewhere and let them color match with there machine (which I didnt know they do now)
2) Buy another OEM piece from Justin at East Toledo Honda and bolt it up.
3) Paint everything!

I was trying to save a few dollars thinking that I could do this with some hours of labor and paitence.. Well my patience is wearing thin even more with the weather the way it has been here in TN. It really starts getting me pist to say the least, seems like being without a motorcycle in service is like going without sex.
I am gear head and fabricator and I am learning that painting SUCKS! Its not greasy or dirty but dusty as all get out, but you do get a good buzz from all the fumes....:whistle:

Just a sample piece on the spare cowl. Right side of the line was painted
21ot3d2.jpg
I would do option 2, matching paint is very difficult and even the best shops have problems sometimes. Buying the part guarantees a perfect match, and the money you spent saves you all that labor.....and stress :banghead: Well worth it in my opinion :laugh:
Plus it keeps the bike looking factory fresh, and much better for resale :thumbsup:
And you can always sell the damaged part on here or e-bay to offset some of the replacement cost.

Throws spray cans!:tantrum: Sits back with beer waiting on Justin to send me my new Upper Fairing it will be so purteeeeeeee and new! :cheerleader:

For Sale GENII Upper Fairings.... One is primered in white just for you Bret here is your start! I heard when white gets on the GENII's magically the A mode works :dunno:

lankeeyankee said:
Throws spray cans!:tantrum: Sits back with beer waiting on Justin to send me my new Upper Fairing it will be so purteeeeeeee and new! :cheerleader:

For Sale GENII Upper Fairings.... One is primered in white just for you Bret here is your start! I heard when white gets on the GENII's magically the A mode works :dunno:

White=Slowest color=slow bike=slow painting =slow, learning impaired rider/owner:moon:

I should send Justin a $100 bill to send you black fairings but I am scared you would hurt yourself on a fast bike:poke:
:rofl:

Good call :thumbsup: When you get that shiny new piece, bolt it on, throw a coat of wax on it, and take that sweet looking rocket for a ride!!! :laugh:

OK the finished product.... I learned two valuable lessons with this whole experience.
After many hours of putting on and taking off the cowl to straighten the brace it fits like a glove and the seams are German quality workmanship. I guess the dealer didn't replace the nose bracket during there body part replacement which caused the stress crack along with the body parts not being perfect. Ya would think a $3800.00 insurance check handed to them they would have covered all there bases,, WRONG!! LESSON: If your Busa falls on its side sitting still,, REPLACE the nose bracket causes its bent and mostly likely will crack the new cowl/nose when a new one is installed.
1) Dont ever let take your bike to a dealership and have someone work on your bike that you don't know.
2) Colorrite paint is very expensive and isn't a satisfying match.

Special thanks to Justin at East Toledo Honda:beerchug: This guy is straight up in everything he tells you ships out fast and helps out with the price. Thanks again Justin for all your help with parts.

View attachment 1555510

I used them about 7 years ago ... had the same problem with matching ... they sent replacements which also didn't match ... I paid with a credit card and had the CC company get my cash back

You're very welcome Don. Glad to see your baby is back together :thumbsup:

Back