My Colorrite experience.

lankeeyankee said:
Hell Yeah! Bud Light Platnium for me, Bring extra white out and will fix up your also....
Actually white out would have been a closer match then Colorrites first batch of so called Splash white.
I think someone was sniffing whiteout at Colorrite when they mixed that batch :dunno:

How much? Case? Case and a half? I know doing white paint has to be a SLOW process:poke:
:rofl:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

OK, checked the mailbox first thing coming in the driveway expecting my paint from colorrite... Uhhhh no paint yet:banghead: :tantrum: WTF!!
Getting pissed and more pissed with this company!!!

Not trying to tick you off more, but mine arrived 2 days after the order. Sorry for the bad times. Sucks when you are stuck waiting.

OK, checked the mailbox first thing coming in the driveway expecting my paint from colorrite... Uhhhh no paint yet:banghead: :tantrum: WTF!!
Getting pissed and more pissed with this company!!!

Not trying to tick you off more, but mine arrived 2 days after the order. Sorry for the bad times. Sucks when you are stuck waiting.

Thanks, I sent the worthless chit back to them Tue they got it Friday.
The owner of Colorrite is Joe Corticelli If I have no paint in the mailbox tomorrow I am calling and ripping a new a hole!! This is fukn bullchit I swear:banghead:

i feel better now. I'm not the only one that had isues with their paint. I have the same bike and ordered some rattle cans to do my inners and they looked exactly like that piece you painted when I was done. funny thing is, I went to napa with my side fairing to get the blue and silver scanned and made for 16.00 each can(the white is 3 stage paint. so, they can't scan that one ). the napa paint was spot on and the expensive colorrite paint sucked. after $250.00 worth of materials and hours of work. had to call race ready and send them the panels to get them done right.:banghead: I know people make mistakes. but, there's nothing in this world I hate more than having to get something done twice to get it right or buying something and having to go back to the store to get another cause the first one was deffective.
OK I got tired of looking at the stress crack on my 09 fairing after the dealer (America Powersports on Myatt Drive in Nashville, TN) did not reassemble it back together properly... long story!!
Anyways.. So I pulled the nose off and started to do some fairing repair, got it bonded back together, sanded down, blended and primed for some paint. Of course Colorrite has the market as far as factory matched OEM paint. So I place my order with Colorrite on March 4th. 1) 11OZ can of base and 1) 11OZ can of top coat, costing over $100 with hazardous shipping.. Expensive spray cans I may add!!
3 days later package arrives. I have the day off and start spraying the base coat, following Colorrite specific instructions to the T. After spraying all 3 body pieces with 2 top coats it didnt look just right. I figured well its supposed to be dead nutzz matched OEM paint with the OEM paint code right? Trust in the product I guess... All said and done 2 base coats and 2 top coats with coats of clear it was off!! BAD!!
I call the West coast Colorrite number and talk with a guy Name Steve. Told him I just got done spraying the paint and it doesnt match not even close! He asks well did you spray a sample piece? I said NO I was expecting a bigger can then 11OZ and knew it would be cutting it close with 3 pieces to paint and that I thought that Colorrite is supposed to be factory OEM matched paint thats why I paid 40 bucks for a small can of paint. He said send it in with a sample piece and if its our fault we will match the paint and send you replacements.. GREAT!! back to getting all the clear and paint off to start over again!:banghead:
Called Monday and Spoke to Steve again to ask the status and if they found anything wrong with the paint,, he has a bit of an attitude asking whats your order number,,, Even though I spoke to him a few days before about the issue,, he says I must have answered a 100 phone calls today... Thinking to myself this isnt good!! 100 phone calls of customers saying they got the wrong paint and sending it back with an RMA# NOT GOOD!! He says ohh yeah they found the wrong chemical in the paint we shipped you 2 cans out this morning and you should see it in 4-5 working days! WOW! Great customer service hahn?? Ohh we screwed up now you have to buy more sandpaper and primer plus take the time to sand all the paint off.. DOUCHE BAG!!!! I was hoping to hear, we are very sorry for our mistake we sent you a double order since you stated 2 cans would be cutting it close and we also shipped it next day air and you should have it tommorow.. NOPE!! None of that just an attitude and basically fuk off I sensed...
So all in all would i say Colorrite is someone I would send a friend to and buy paint for his motorcycle?? NO!!!!! Poor customer service unfriendly and expensive...
Here are the pics.. one stress crack and Colorrites paint that is supposed to be a dead match!!

DOES ANYONE TAKE PRIDE IN THERE BUSINESS ANYMORE? What happened to customer service??

Ohh kudos to Justin at East Toledo Honda,, He found my decals and they are the way!:thumbsup:
Justin is the man and each time I buy from him he has his Chit together! Thanks again Justin:beerchug:

4gn4td.jpg

2yk01s7.jpg

Paint is there now!!! Come one and get some slow back on that thing. :laugh: Too nice out to be not riding. :whistle:

Some of us dont get to sleep in on weekday mornings, some of us have physical jobs to where we are wore out when we get home after hours, some of work swing shifts up to 18 hours a day through the night and expected to be back at work by 7AM, some of us get home from work after a long hard 8 hours and lay our heads to rest and get a phone call saying we must come in cause the 3rd shift guy called out and stay up for another 9-10 hours. Some of us order paint from Colorrite that is fukd up and have to wait for them azz holes to send replacement paint out that takes 5 muther fukn days to arrive, and take the time to remove the shid off and re sand its time consuming and costly,, so all in all this world isnt perfect and the bike will sit,, ,am I a lil pist off at the whole experience yeah just a little...:moon:

You think if Colorrite had great customer service they would have sent me some extra paint, maybe some extra clear coat, maybe a touch up pen, fuk I would have been happy if they just took the extra effort to giv me a coffee mug,,, anything extra for there mistake... NOPE!! So will I buy from colorrite again:moon: NO! Anyone asks me where to buy colorrite paint, I can assure I will say DONT buy from colorrite.

The End Of My Colorwrong expierence. Cheers:beerchug:

Dayum LY and I was gonna see if you wanted to ride Sunday.:down:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Some of us dont get to sleep in on weekday mornings, some of us have physical jobs to where we are wore out when we get home after hours, some of work swing shifts up to 18 hours a day through the night and expected to be back at work by 7AM, some of us get home from work after a long hard 8 hours and lay our heads to rest and get a phone call saying we must come in cause the 3rd shift guy called out and stay up for another 9-10 hours. Some of us order paint from Colorrite that is fukd up and have to wait for them azz holes to send replacement paint out that takes 5 muther fukn days to arrive, and take the time to remove the shid off and re sand its time consuming and costly,, so all in all this world isnt perfect and the bike will sit,, ,am I a lil pist off at the whole experience yeah just a little...:moon:

You think if Colorrite had great customer service they would have sent me some extra paint, maybe some extra clear coat, maybe a touch up pen, fuk I would have been happy if they just took the extra effort to giv me a coffee mug,,, anything extra for there mistake... NOPE!! So will I buy from colorrite again:moon: NO! Anyone asks me where to buy colorrite paint, I can assure I will say DONT buy from colorrite.

The End Of My Colorwrong expierence. Cheers:beerchug:
Sorry to hear about this whole mess Lankee, I feel for you :banghead: I know sometimes it can seem easier to just fix a dealership screw-up yourself, but I've found in the end that isn't usually the case. Plus a patch job on broken plastic on your baby is never going to leave you feeling as good as getting the part replaced with brand new like it should be :laugh: I have a smaller VERY good shop I use for work I can't do (NEVER use dealerships for service anymore) and I ALWAYS pull off ALL bodywork myself that needs to come off before my bikes go in, the shop likes it and I save money on work :beerchug: Its probably too late for you work with the dealership now on the part they broke, but for anybody else reading this saga, this is why I recommend that if you can't avoid sorry azz dealership service departments, that you do WHATEVER it takes to make them fix their screw-ups right. Keep a spare bike (a good idea anyways) so you won't miss riding time while your reaming the dealership to make your problem right. Don't let those major f@#k-ups put you through what Lankee is going through :banghead:

i've have nothing but good things to say about them as well. I ordered some candy max orange from them to paint my helmet the color of my bike. My helmet turned out darker than my bike but i already knew that it's almost impossible to match candy paint

Sorry to hear about this whole mess Lankee, I feel for you :banghead: I know sometimes it can seem easier to just fix a dealership screw-up yourself, but I've found in the end that isn't usually the case. Plus a patch job on broken plastic on your baby is never going to leave you feeling as good as getting the part replaced with brand new like it should be :laugh: I have a smaller VERY good shop I use for work I can't do (NEVER use dealerships for service anymore) and I ALWAYS pull off ALL bodywork myself that needs to come off before my bikes go in, the shop likes it and I save money on work :beerchug: Its probably too late for you work with the dealership now on the part they broke, but for anybody else reading this saga, this is why I recommend that if you can't avoid sorry azz dealership service departments, that you do WHATEVER it takes to make them fix their screw-ups right. Keep a spare bike (a good idea anyways) so you won't miss riding time while your reaming the dealership to make your problem right. Don't let those major f@#k-ups put you through what Lankee is going through :banghead:

Thanks 2wheels:beerchug:
Trust me it wasnt my choice to have a dealer service / repair my bike it was an insurance claim and the bike was financed through my credit union and my current insurance company at that time (Gieco) would only issue the check to either the Credit Union or an Approved shop, so my hands were tied behind my back.
Amercia Power Sports screwed up a bunch of things while it was in the shop. I really didnt trust dealerships before and I sure as hell didnt after I found the damage. I figured they would screw up more during the process of there F up.

Painting is a real art form and should sometimes be left to the professional painter especially if you are getting it in a rattle can. I'm not a painter myself but I do know the industry well and with three stage candies and pearls (I'm not sure if you said yours is or isn't but) a test panel is a MUST to match it perfectly. You never know if 1,2 or 3 coats of base and 1,2 or 3 coats of the candy or pearl were use originally and what of MANY different combinations it will take to get the closest and best match. Most paints can be blended in to the adjoining panels but this is very difficult if not close to impossible to do with candies and pearls because the exact match depends on the number of coats of each stage and the blended area would now have more coats than the original and most likely end up darker or have too much pearl or candy in it. Panel painting without blending, which is what we're trying to do here, is difficult at best even for the pros and bad mixes of paint are more common than we would think or like but are a fact of life and the body shop business.The color of the primer underneath can sometimes effect the results too depending upon how well the white or another light color is covering what you're painting. Be patient "grasshopper" and all will be well. I seem to have to do a lot of things twice too, for what ever reason, but it always looks good when you're done. Seems like Color Rite could have sent you a little extra for your trouble though but you usually have to ask for what you want in this day and age. Most people can't take a hint or won't do it on their own. So have a couple of beers with a buddy and make a fun afternoon project of it. Stay positive and good luck.

Thanks 2wheels:beerchug:
Trust me it wasnt my choice to have a dealer service / repair my bike it was an insurance claim and the bike was financed through my credit union and my current insurance company at that time (Gieco) would only issue the check to either the Credit Union or an Approved shop, so my hands were tied behind my back.
Amercia Power Sports screwed up a bunch of things while it was in the shop. I really didnt trust dealerships before and I sure as hell didnt after I found the damage. I figured they would screw up more during the process of there F up.
I figured that your situation was something like that, I've been in something similiar and had to deal with it myself just like you. Thats why I feel for you brother :banghead: Once you "get'r done" and you're back on 2 wheels you'll forget all about the whole mess :thumbsup: Just stay positive, summers coming and you'll have plenty of awesome riding :beerchug:

Thanks all for the supportive words:beerchug:
Those of you that had your bike down even more so a couple of cold winter months and the weather starts breaking into the 80's you get fidgety and anxious to ride.

I thought that also with the primer being a light gray but the guy at Colorrite said light gray is what they use also and isnt a problem as long as you spray 2 or 3 base coats. After stripping the bad paint off I figured well maybe I should try white primer so I purchased some white primer for plastic but I dont care how it laid so looks as I will be stripping the white primer off tomorrow:banghead:
I know painting is an art / skill. Its a pearl white so thats why I figured it wouldnt be as much as a challenge to match decent as it would be with a darker metallic color.
I figured that if the directions were followed in a detailed manner that it should match pretty close to the average eye. If it was a custom paint job there is no way I wouldnt even think of attempting this project. If all goes smooth I am hoping to be spraying Sunday.

I had to repaint a Burgman 400 once (some of the pieces, not the whole thing). I get my paint at Sherwin Williams Automotive (different from the standard sherwin paint stores). For automotive paint, it's reasonably priced, though not cheap (it never is). The price is probably half of what ColorRite charges. They can usually pull every paint code. if you take an example in, then they can check with their paint samples. The people there are also very good at explaining things. Now keep in mind, this will be actual car paint that is sprayed on with a spray gun. You will need a compressor and a spray gun which you can get some inexpensive ones at Harbor freight. They may not be perfect, but they can get the job done. Now the Burgman was a candy which means that the candy finish that went over the metal flake layer will change shade with each coat. I don't know if the white is a pearl, but it's the same effect. So to color match, you take a large enough card (Sherwin Williams can provide such a thing for you) lay down your base coat till you can't see any of the print on the card, then spray one layer of candy, dry (coulple of minutes) tape off a strip, paint candy, dry, tape, etc... till you have 5 or 6 examples. Then clear that card. Once dry, take it to your factory paint and find the combination that fits. For me it was 3 coats. After painting, the only thing I could tell different between the factory and mine was the orange peel. However, I put down about 4 layers of clear, so I could sand and smooth out to better match the finish. The end result was beautiful:

FaceBook Links Do Not Work

In that picture, I painted the front now, the bottom cover, the hand rail, the back side, and the top box (I was at it so I thought I would match it to the bike). It's a lot of work, but can be done. I'm with several people, unless you just have to have it in the aerosol can, I would not go with ColorRite. Good luck.

David

in my experience the best touchup and match paint comes from a some of the smaller painting shops. we have one that comes out, washes and area of you object, takes a pictures with some camera with a huge attachment, then matches of that! this means the paint is correct to the age and sun wear of the exact spot. after this they keep the color on file for you. a bottle of dab on touch up is 8$ they can also do bulk, and airsol cans!

i would try this next time and call around!

EDIT: **** if it comes to it, and you have a small sample ill get it matched for you...

Well after many hours of sanding, priming, cleaning, and spraying base, top and clear, the 2nd package from Colorrite is better but still has that bluish smokey haze color to it. So I decided to try a brighter white base coat. Grabbed a scoop and of to Oriellys I went searching in there paint area. Grabbed a few cans off the shelf walked outside to compare to the scoop and came up with a bright white. Took it home sprayed just a small prepped corner and it looks better then the Colorrites base they gave me, I think if I work the top pearl in I can get it close not perfect and havent decided yet if I can settle on a bike I haven't had a year yet.

Word to anyone else that comes into this position other options.
1) Do as the other user stated take it somewhere and let them color match with there machine (which I didnt know they do now)
2) Buy another OEM piece from Justin at East Toledo Honda and bolt it up.
3) Paint everything!

I was trying to save a few dollars thinking that I could do this with some hours of labor and paitence.. Well my patience is wearing thin even more with the weather the way it has been here in TN. It really starts getting me pist to say the least, seems like being without a motorcycle in service is like going without sex.
I am gear head and fabricator and I am learning that painting SUCKS! Its not greasy or dirty but dusty as all get out, but you do get a good buzz from all the fumes....:whistle:

Just a sample piece on the spare cowl. Right side of the line was painted
21ot3d2.jpg

Back