My cheapazz red neck method of chain adjustment.

kml

Donating Member
Registered
I just use two threaded rods one in the axle one in the swing arm pivot. It's not because I think the Gillis chain adjusters are inaccurate, it's just easier to do standing up. I can easily get to within less than one MM using a standard tape measure. it'd not my idea I just wasn't willing to spend money on the fancy set up with the adjustable cones.
This assumes your frame is straight.. If your frame is bent you have bigger problems that a chain alignment can fix.

The restaurant aluminum sheet pan under the bike is handy for catching chain lube kerosene etc etc....

cheers
ken
IMG_20200205_125935.jpg

IMG_20200205_130020.jpg

I'm pretty sure I heard that Crescent Wrench click when he hit the right torque.

I use one of these to keep it straight.

View attachment 1612415
Good for a quick check. I'd like to see that rod longer though.

I like the thumb screws. They must keep that right on 90°. The only thing I don't like is that you have to hold it on by hand instead of the tool attaching to the bike like Pasnhit's does.

...then again, if the axle is out of alignment, it won't be 90° to the frame anyway will it??? I can see how if the cones tightened into the frame, the thumb screws might bind on the rods. Better for that design to not attach and you just hold it up as a measuring tool.

...so you use a ruler to measure between the chain and the rod that runs parallel to the frame? How can you be sure the ruler is held at a perfect 90°? They should include a third thumb screw rod with 64/inch marks on it. I'd ask them if they could make up a thumb screw ruler rod for me.

Last edited:
That’s a nice tool Tim. Who makes it?

Matt,
Shows out of stock, but possibly someone else makes something like this. I bought it off this forum years ago.

I got this Rear Alignment Tool from Pro-Lux Racing but don't think they are in business anymore. I recall Tiger Racing used to make something like this too but links don't work on their website :(

what i am using with very best results
is the previous laser light tool version of
more easy you can´t control/correct a chain´s alignement
and no other tool can be as exact as this.

...so you use a ruler to measure between the chain and the rod that runs parallel to the frame? How can you be sure the ruler is held at a perfect 90°? They should include a third thumb screw rod with 64/inch marks on it. I'd ask them if they could make up a thumb screw ruler rod for me.
I see how these tools work now. The bar parallel to the bike is the measuring bar. That bar must be the same length on both sides of the bike or else the axle is not aligned to the frame. Pashnit's tool attaches to the bike so all you do is swap the parallel rod from one side to the other to measure if they are the same distance. The other ones that don't attach to the bike, you just move the whole tool over to the opposite side to measure.

what i am using with very best results
is the previous laser light tool version of
more easy you can´t control/correct a chain´s alignement
and no other tool can be as exact as this.
If that is cheaper that $130 US, that's the way for me. One thing in the ad that confuses me is this

"When the axle position is correctly adjusted and the rear wheel is slightly turned, the dot is visible over the entire chain length and at the same distance from the edge of the chain."

When the axle is adjusted correctly, the rear wheel is slightly turned? I I thought the the rear wheel was supposed to be pointed straight ahead like the front wheel. Is that copy in the ad a typo or incorrect translation?

BTW I see these on eBay for $78 USD + shipping to the US.

Last edited:
If that is cheaper that $130 US, that's the way for me. One thing in the ad that confuses me is this

"When the axle position is correctly adjusted and the rear wheel is slightly turned, the dot is visible over the entire chain length and at the same distance from the edge of the chain."

When the axle is adjusted correctly, the rear wheel is slightly turned? I I thought the the rear wheel was supposed to be pointed straight ahead like the front wheel. Is that copy in the ad a typo or incorrect translation?

BTW I see these on eBay for $78 USD + shipping to the US.

Perhaps it means to read "...is slightly rotated..." ??

Perhaps it means to read "...is slightly rotated..." ??
Yeah that must be it. When the axle is adjusted correctly you can see the beam hitting all the chain links at the same point when you rotate the wheel slowly. I can't believe I didn't get that.

I like it but it's check by eye where the ones that insert to the frame are check by exact length on both sides.

On the other hand, who's to say the engine mount is supposed to be exactly parallel to the axle? It makes sense that it would be but not necessarily.

I don't know which one I will get. It'd be interesting to check all of them against one another...but that would just make this all the more confusing if they all gave different results!

Back