My Cafe Racer build...

Lucid

Registered
I got the bug a few months ago, and finally found the right bike at the right price.

Even though cafe racers aren't about speed, I didn't want something too slow. I ended up with this awesome 1978 KZ650, bored out to 720.

I LOVE these damn cafe bikes; every part on them is so damn cheap! Entire braking system off an 81? $30 shipped. Stock swingarm? (this one has a 6+ for some reason, maybe raced in the 80s or something) $50 shipped. Plus really, the more stuff you take off of them, the cooler they seem to get. (which is free, -nuts and bolts)

Anyway, pics:

The way I got it:
Big ole front and rear fairings:
IMG_0014.jpg

As soon as I got home and got a wrench:
Removed fairings, lights, etc.
IMG_0015.jpg

Brakes were almost non-existent. I was engine braking for 90% during the first ride. Cracked the MC and saw this haha!

IMG_0017.jpg

Getting a stock swingarm, new chain/sprocket (old one was rusted and loud/binding), getting more stuff taken off like front and rear fenders, center stand, etc.
Cafe1.jpg

Changed out:

Bars
Front master cylinder
satin paint (temporary)
Removed rear section
Stock swingarm back on
new and rerouted fuel lines and filters
plugs and other maintenance stuff
grinded off random tabs, extra metal, etc
chain/sprockets
LED Tail (temporary, waiting to integrate it into the cafe tail)
Removed left hand controls
New grips
Who knows what else.

DSCN0163.jpg

Cut for led tail.
1-6.jpg

Rewired the entire thing, removed gauges and excess wiring. All of this got reduced down to about 8 wires: Headlight, tail/stop lights, and spark. Took awhile but was worth it.
IMG_0058.jpg

Removing gauges did the MOST for the look I was going for!
IMG_0063.jpg

Found a sweet old church:

DSCN0184.jpg

And the latest update: Spoke wheels finally on and fitted! 18 rear, 19 front, new coils and plug wires. Exhaust tubes flat black now. Front fender and center stand back on:

DSCN0026.jpg

DSCN0013-1.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

Still want to clear out the "triangle" under the seat, all I have left to do is to put a smaller battery in the tail section to clear out under the seat, adding to the cafe look. Gotta decide on a seat, and a few other things, but she's done until winter probably!

Great Job, and YES I love Cafe Racers too. Infact a project for me in the future. Cafe Racer Mag is a must, if you need a back issue and I have it, just let me know. I'll send it to you if I have it.

That's a great looking Bike you've got there. I think I will go the Brit line or convert a 900 SS Duc.

Have fun, because that's what it's all about !!!

I'm so pleased that org guys like you are getting into cafe's! Believe it or not, my 3rd bike was back in 1963....a brand new Ducati 250 Diana cafe right out of the crate from Italy. It would actually beat Sportsters of the day in a drag race. Anyways, the style is multi generational, Europe based and we are all enjoying a resurgance of this great part of motorcycling history! Doyle ps, if you hadn't found it yet, ck out "Old Bike Barn"....great supplier of obscure parts and info.

Nice ride man.. my younger bro is almost done building his at the moment, you are right though super cheap to build compaired to todays bikes.

Love it. I have been looking for a project bike. Either for cafe racer or a street fighter. Just have to find that perfect deal on a bike.

I agree with the cafe racer style being so multi generational. Great looking bikes.

Thanks guys. It's fun cruising around on something a few years older than me. And this thing turns way more heads and starts way more conversations than my drag busa.

Great Job! Definitely Inspiring! Thanks for the share!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Back