My Busa Will Not Start!! Ideas?!

Check the connection at the clutch switch, sometime they don't engage the whole way. You have to manually jump these connections.

I had this same problem last year. I had to adjust the position of my clutch lever with the adjuster knob. Hope this helps.

Thank you for all the advise everyone. I have a portable jumpbox that I will try to use. I have used it to jump start a buddy's bike before with no negative effects. Now I just have to wait to get off, I hope it's "just" the battery; but if it isn't I'm sure I turned to the right group to figure it out! Thank you!!!:beerchug::bowdown:

I know the "run"switch is making some kind of connection because when I turn it off and then back on again, the fuel pump primes and the temp gauge goes up and back down again. Does this means the switch is good or can it still be bad? I do own a voltmeter. Thank you!
good, that switch is probably fine.. now lets go to the clutch switch.. look at the back/bottom of the clutch lever assy. Short the 2 wires together you see there and try to crank motor..

same goes for the 2 wires at the kickstand..

You can probe these wires with your voltmeter as well.. if all this stuff appears ok, there is a relay that could be bad.. not sure of location but I think it is at the fuse block? will look at my schematic..

as far as jumping the bike off the car... not a thing in the world wrong with that as long as the car is OFF... NO EXCEPTIONS...

What is this exactly? The bike has not been dumped over. Thanks!

An accelerometer is a device that measures acceleration or vibration at a frequency in m/s^2 or G's. It can also be used to measure gravitational direction. If you flip an accelerometer upside down it induces a 2 G shift.

I always heard that a bike will shut down when it is dumped or laid down. Is this true?

I thought the easiest way to measure it would be a Tilt sensor or an Accelerometer.

Sorry for the rambling.

Anyways check your fuses if your battery checks out.

I had the exact same problem. Couldnt figure it out because the headlight was ok and not dim. All the gauges acted normal. I jumped the bike with my car WHILE IT WAS OFF. My air ride was wired direct. Possibly your newly wired grips are also wired this way. Good luck.

Exactly!

It's the car alternator that will kill your motorcycle battery. Those tiny batteries don't like to be force fed 100amps @ 14.3v's. But with the car off you are fine.:thumbsup:

Doesn't work like that. The system will only draw what it needs. 14.3 volts is 14.3 volts. Alternator / generator, in the end the battery sees volts DC.

I had the exact same problem. Couldnt figure it out because the headlight was ok and not dim. All the gauges acted normal. I jumped the bike with my car WHILE IT WAS OFF. My air ride was wired direct. Possibly your newly wired grips are also wired this way. Good luck.

My grips are wired direct. Is it at all possible that even though they have an on/off switch they can still be drawing power in the off position?

My grips are wired direct. Is it at all possible that even though they have an on/off switch they can still be drawing power in the off position?

Shouldn't happen if the switch is OK and really OFF. My V1 and electric gloves are wired direct but when I turn them off they're OFF. How old is your battery anyway?

Shouldn't happen if the switch is OK and really OFF. My V1 and electric gloves are wired direct but when I turn them off they're OFF. How old is your battery anyway?

It is the original battery that came with the bike. I got her in August of 07 with .6 miles on the odometer, she now has a little over 14k. Just to inform I will be heading home in a few minutes, my buddy is going to bring his battery over from his Busa so I can confirm or eliminate that possibility. I will update you all soon. Thank you so much!!

Last edited:
Hmm, I have five yr old batteries in both of my CBXs and my 06 has over 27,000 on it since Feb of 06. Should be OK except for being drained somehow. Let us know what you find and BTW, a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. is all you need and its less than $30 most anywhere.

Doesn't work like that. The system will only draw what it needs. 14.3 volts is 14.3 volts. Alternator / generator, in the end the battery sees volts DC.
the only problem is if the bike battery is way discharged.. bike batteries can not take the amperage that "could" pushed down to it by a car system with 60 to 100 amps available.. will boil the battery in a few minutes at 10 or 20 amps.. if it is fully charged, not a problem, it will not ask for the juice..

You still need to put a volt meter across the battery and hit the starter..

Sounds like a weak battery or a loose and/or dirty battery cable...try your jumper box first...if she still doesn't start, then the battery is ok. While you have access to the battery, check the water level and clean and tighten the cables.

Do not jump off your car. It's different amperage. You might start the bike, but also might damage the ECU. Agree it might be the battery. Battery might have enough juice to work on headlights and others, but may not have enough juice to turn to engine. You said you added an electric outlet. That might drain your battery slowly and eventually lower the battery voltage.

Get yourself a charger ( you need it anyway ) and try it before you do anything.

Damn, I sound like I know what I'm talking about, eh?

Ahh, blissful ignorance. A car battery's amperage will NOT hurt the Busa or any other 12V bike. The common wisdom is to jump the bike with the CAR OFF.

I am running a tractor battery that is about the size of the smallest car batteries I've seen in my Burgman. Makes winter starts a whole lot easier. It's about 10x the cranking amps of my stock battery.

And my experience with grip heaters is that they take the battery FLAT overnight. As in, no lights, no nothing. Just gone. So they probably are not to blame. But you will leave them on at some point, so I would move them over to a switched circuit if I were you.

Also, heated gloves, > heated grips. Hands down better.

Last edited:
It turns out to be a faulty clutch switch, my buddy found it in less than two minutes after getting to my house!! I feel so stupid it was that simple, he jumped the two wires together and she started right up! He rigged it so I could start it until I can replace the switch. THANK YOU SO MUCH, YOU GUYS/GALS ROCK!!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Last edited:
Battery.... :super: Why don't you ever call ????......no, now I didn't just say that.... :oldcool:

Back