My Busa Gets Shocked!

Shock cost $795 and the rest was free with the bike. Look up John Sharrad, he set up the shock.

You like stock great, enjoy.i am aware of the adjustments available with stock unit and the incompatible materials used in the stock shock.

Also ride height adjustment kind of useful too.

You are correct, never heard of John Sharrad.

Apparently John Sharrad either don't know or never bothered to explain to you the difference in ride height and preload. But just so you and Ken both understand, that little remote knob is a preload adjuster. Preload and ride height are two separate issues. Maybe you'd be kind enough to explain the difference and how it affects the suspension?

But just so you and Ken both understand, that little remote knob is a preload adjuster.

Thanks for your concern but, while I'm not as knowledgeable as you, I'm well aware what it is and what it does I also understand the difference between preload adjustment and ride height. At what point did I give the impression I did not?

John Sharrard if I recall correctly built engines and suspension for Frank Trombino, Steve Crevier and Kevin Lacombe and in '99 or 2000 finished fourth (i think) in the Canadian pro open sport bike championship.

cheers
ken

Single-sided swingarm on a Busa? Just how modified IS this bike?

Single-sided swingarm on a Busa? Just how modified IS this bike?
Marchesini magnesium front wheels with dual 16 inch perimeter front brakes. Rear marchseini magnesium wheel with Ducati style adjuster and RAM italia magnesium single sided swing arm. Ohlin's road and track front forks with custom top mount steering damper. Akropovic titanium full system and Colour matched under tail with led lighting. Now it has a proper rear shock to work with the proper front end....

Marchesini magnesium front wheels with dual 16 inch perimeter front brakes. Rear marchseini magnesium wheel with Ducati style adjuster and RAM italia magnesium single sided swing arm. Ohlin's road and track front forks with custom top mount steering damper. Akropovic titanium full system and Colour matched under tail with led lighting. Now it has a proper rear shock to work with the proper front end....

Post up some pics!

cheers
ken

Bahhhhh LOL
Please pass the:popcorn:
Busabim.....Before you dig that hole any deeper, I'll bet if you asked Tuf for an autographed copy, he'd be glad to send you one...:)

Take a look at what it says right under his username...

I will grant you that is one SHARP Busa, a 99 original copper on top of it. And big $$ in aftermarket on top of it. I'd be proud to own it.

But I wonder if those modifications to the rear end may have also contributed to the ride quality issues you experienced.

interesting info and opinions..i just accept that no stock shock will suit every rider.
Stock internals are for general use and on the gen 2 are smoother whilst also being sportier...an old gen 1 shock to me felt like a pogo stick...all damping lost...oil was done and the valves clogged so even an overhaul would be an improvement.
A mate has a 06', he got the shock rebuilt with weight matched springs and valves and its butter smooth...cost about £200/$300...front end got the same treatment with slightly lighter oil and he reckons it will be years before he even thinks of selling the bike...unless a newer model comes along with adaptive or active suspension.
All in it cost him just around £500 / $750 and apart from cans and a screen the bike is stock...just the way he likes it.

Have you ever ridden a track bike? Have you ever ridden an aftermarket shock on any bike? If not, dont worry about it. Stock is great

Hey, who is this tuf guy? I am still waiting on his answer if he has ridden or even seen a track bike
:grin:

Well have you tuf hahn inquiring minds want to know

I will grant you that is one SHARP Busa, a 99 original copper on top of it. And big $$ in aftermarket on top of it. I'd be proud to own it.

But I wonder if those modifications to the rear end may have also contributed to the ride quality issues you experienced.

After owning a 2001 and a 1999 in answer to your question ,NO. Both years suffered from poor damping but the problem is exaggerated by a much lighter rear and wheel combo that spins up more quickly. Braking parts come from Italy and are still available direct from RAM. When I received the bike, it was in serious need of attention. All fluids, fuel supply and filters have been renewed. I posted a simple and cheap solution to the 1999/2000 fuel pump/fuel supply elsewhere

I have only paid for the shock, the original owner was a Suzuki dealer and this was a show bike for the shop. The cost of the aftermarket parts was well over the cost of the bike when new.

IMG_1192M.jpg

slider.JPG

DSC_1689.JPG

I like it and the mods, I just can't get past the mismatched wheels.. Must be my OSD kicking in...

I like it and the mods, I just can't get past the mismatched wheels.. Must be my OSD kicking in...

I have to either remove paint in front to go back to gold or cover up the lovely gold magnesium rear with white. I asked the owner why he never did both wheels and he never got around to it. It certainly would look more balanced , lol.

The front wheel is impossible to keep clean due to the rotor carriers attached to the outside of the wheel.

BB

interesting info and opinions..i just accept that no stock shock will suit every rider.
Stock internals are for general use and on the gen 2 are smoother whilst also being sportier...an old gen 1 shock to me felt like a pogo stick...all damping lost...oil was done and the valves clogged so even an overhaul would be an improvement.
A mate has a 06', he got the shock rebuilt with weight matched springs and valves and its butter smooth...cost about £200/$300...front end got the same treatment with slightly lighter oil and he reckons it will be years before he even thinks of selling the bike...unless a newer model comes along with adaptive or active suspension.
All in it cost him just around £500 / $750 and apart from cans and a screen the bike is stock...just the way he likes it.

Thank you for making my point. Shocks need servicing just like the engine. The oil breaks down and with no means of filtering out the particles from normal ware the shock becomes dysfunctional over time. The biggest culprit is loss of pressure within the shock. I'm suspicious the OP is comparing his oem shock that had not been serviced for over a decade to his colorful aftermarket shock. And he is correct in the new shock is a dream compared to the neglected OEM. If he neglects to service his new prize it will ride like a turd one day down the road as well.

Generally speaking, an aftermarket shock such as Ohlins or Penski is a great asset if you are road racing. What the OEM shock does is over heat under severe use and begin to fade as the race progresses. After a hard ride put your hand on your shock, it's a hot tamale. A high end aftermarket shock is designed to run cooler and function better under heat than your OEM shock. To give you an example the track record holder at Seattle's Pacific Raceway set the track record on a GSXR1000 with a ttx Ohlins shock and Ohlins cartridge forks. He comes to the track on his GSXR street bike on stock suspension, race tires and runs within 3 seconds of the track record. He just can't run those lap times for ten laps as the shock over heats and begins to fade having a negative effect on corner exits.

The two best busa riders I know is our own MJN & GregBob. Both ride the wheels off a Gen I busa on bone stock suspension. Both are in the 200 lb range and neither has so much as upgraded the springs. My point is, the stock OEM suspension works quite well for the average joe. Until you can out ride the OEM suspension, aftermarket suspension is something you want, not something you need. Maintain your suspension just like you maintain your engine and it will last for the life of your bike. Neglect your suspension and you will end up with poor handling.

I'm not insinuating you should not invest in aftermarket suspension products if you so desire. It's your money, spend it any way you want. What I am saying is the OP's statement insinuating the OEM suspension on your busa is less than adequate is a far cry from reality. Buy what you want, ride what you buy! Just don't p iss in my ear and try to convince me it's raining!

Tufbusa,

I certainly was unaware that you were so knowledgeable in such matters, but for the record the shock was tested and had correct sag and was functioning within its range. Unfortunately, it could not control the rear of the bike well enough even for street use. It had 8000 miles when I got it.

I know of many riders on stock equipment ( even on real old bikes) who are very fast, good for them. What has that got to do with my choice of improving the bike ?

Presently, I can control how much I get slammed and the bike is planted were before it was not. Could the stock shock have be re-valved and made better for less money, probably. But why start with a junk body and internals and poor quality?

BB

Tufbusa,

I certainly was unaware that you were so knowledgeable in such matters, but for the record the shock was tested and had correct sag and was functioning within its range. Unfortunately, it could not control the rear of the bike well enough even for street use. It had 8000 miles when I got it.

I know of many riders on stock equipment ( even on real old bikes) who are very fast, good for them. What has that got to do with my choice of improving the bike ?

Presently, I can control how much I get slammed and the bike is planted were before it was not. Could the stock shock have be re-valved and made better for less money, probably. But why start with a junk body and internals and poor quality?

BB

The only thing that really matters is the fact that you are pleased with the results. If you are happy, I'm happy :beerchug:

Nice ride you have there. I too, would be proud to park that critter in my garage!

My BKing hammers over the bumps (and pogo sticks at times) from the racetech spring on the rear. I wish I could get my stock shock dialed in but I think it is not rebuildable/revalvable. So I soldier on with the piece of junk cause I'm way too cheap to cough up money for an aftermarket shock. Well unless my back starts to bother me more than I will have to buy one.

Back