My Battery Life Solution For Bluetooth System

mabupa

Donating Member
Registered
just wanted to share my latest little project with you guys, in case anyone wants to hack their Bluetooth system like me. Lol!
Years ago, I bought a dual chatterbox setup for both (rider and passenger) of my helmets. my complaint has always been battery life. Since new, i could only get 4 hours out the batteries before they went dead. I recently bought a new Arai helmet (was way overdue after 7 years) and started looking at new intercom systems. After weeks looking and reading complaints about Sena's low volume and such, I asked myself, what Needs do you have that only those new systems can meet that your old ones can't? Well, I don't ask for much and my only complaint, again, was battery life. I started looking for a possible replacement battery after opening one of my units and taking some measurements of the current battery. These chatterbox systems came with small 3.7v batteries that are about 450mAh(?). I found some replacements that were barely larger and were in the 700mAh range. Then, I ran into these 2000mAh that I knew wouldn't fit inside and was like, maybe I should order two and see how I can mount them externally. Well, I just received them and started looking for places were I could cleanly mount the batteries externally. These things are pretty small and I found that they would fit in the speaker pocket built inside the helmet since They are only 7mm thick. I then, extended the wires and swapped the mini JST connector from the old battery to the new one. I notched the case on the chatterbox to feed the wires through and used clear silicone to get a waterproof seal. I put the unit back together and tucked the wires along the speaker wires to the inside of the helmet to the speaker pocket where the new battery now lives. Everything went smooth and unit operates as it always has. If I'm correct in my calculations (more like assumptions) I should be able to get 16 to 18 hrs on this thing before going dead. I hope that, from now on, I'll run out of strength and energy to ride before I run out of batteries. :-)! So there you have it! My "how to" screw up your headset units. I'm currently charging them and then I'll start the test to see how many hours it'll run for.

Old battery
IMG_2210.JPG

Pics of it charging showing Battery wires coming out of unit and going behind helmet liner to new battery. The total cost was about $22 dollars for both batteries shipped to my door.

IMG_2271.JPG
IMG_2272.JPG

Great solution! Make sure you protect those wires, a short with a LiPo battery is not pretty and I wouldn't want a burning battery up against my skull especially when zipping along on the bike,

Great solution! Make sure you protect those wires, a short with a LiPo battery is not pretty and I wouldn't want a burning battery up against my skull especially when zipping along on the bike,
Sure thing! Most of the wiring is already wrapped in heat shrink as it goes inside the helmet, I just need to get some more to finish it. It's 7am and this thing is still playing music. I turned it on yesterday at 4pm and put on the nightstand so it would be playing music from my phone all night. So that is 15hrs! Unfortunately, I have errands to run and can't leave it on longer to see how Many more hours of play time (not standby) I get before running the battery dead. This is good enough for me though. I'll say this was mission accomplished.

Nice job. When the time comes when my batteries are done, this will be my bookmark fix. Can you show more about how your wires are extended.

unit back together and tucked the wires along the speaker wires to the inside of the helmet to the speaker pocket where the new battery now lives.

You put the battery in the speaker pocket? Behind the speaker? Did that move the speaker outward?

Nice job. When the time comes when my batteries are done, this will be my bookmark fix. Can you show more about how your wires are extended.
Tom,

As you can see in the pics, these batteries only have a red and a black wire. All I did was dig in my "electrical parts" drawer for a piece of red and black wire of same or larger gauge that were about 1 foot long and then cut and soldered. After soldering, I wrapped the in heat shrink tubing that I had laying around. You do have to reuse the mini JST connector from original battery, because the one that comes in these batteries are larger and won't plug into the connector on the circuit board. I would take the battery out for a pic, but you wouldn't be able to see the wires since they are now covered with heat shrink tubing. Sorry about not having more pics. I'll make sure to post some when I get time this weekend to do my passenger helmet and before heat shrinking everything.

Last edited:
unit back together and tucked the wires along the speaker wires to the inside of the helmet to the speaker pocket where the new battery now lives.

You put the battery in the speaker pocket? Behind the speaker? Did that move the speaker outward?
You are correct, but keep in mind that this battery is only about 6 or 7mm thick, so that's how much is going to push the speaker towards your ear. The speakerr on this system are extremely shallow and left a big gap between them and my ears. After testing the helmet and seeing the improvement moving the speaker 6mm made, I'm now thinking about putting something behind the other speaker to also bring it closer For improved audio.

Just put another battery behind the other speaker. You will have the only bluetooth headset with a hundred hour talk time. :D

have you seen the videos of those batteries bursting into flames?
Yes Art. Like any battery that lives around us, there is always the chance of failure or explosion when subjected to extreme conditions, overcharge, a short or hitting them with an axe like some youtubers have done. The way I see it, is no different than falling asleep in your bed with your phone or laptop. I spend more time with my cell phone on my ear than my helmet. I really appreciate you bringing it up though, that is a risk factor to consider when messing with these things. They do sell special cases for these batteries and one could use one of them and just attach them to the back of the helmet and tuck all the wires, instead of doing what I did.

Back