My babies mods (year 1)

jay21112

Registered
Ok guys, I've been posting for a few months now, but I've never fully introduced my bike or myself with pictures yet. I just finished up (almost) all the mods for this year and put her away for the winter. I took pics of all the mods, and now it's time to share!! I'm so excited, all comments good and bad are welcome.

Here is the first pic of her. Notice her pristine virginal apperance, right down to those chastity belt warning stickers... oooh I couldn't wait to deflower her!!!  
devil.gif

(By the way, that's me with my spaceman hat (HJC CL-14). I have since cursed this helmet to all oblivion, and if you search the board you will be able to see that heated discussion.)

<!--EDIT|jay21112
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101003709 -->

2004LE1.JPG

Now since I live in New England and we experience that white stuff that falls from the sky for a couple of months each year I knew I had to put her away for the winter each year.

So, the first thing I did was buy a battery tender plus. You're not supposed to leave your battery out in the freezing temps, so they recommend you bring it in. This thing keeps it charged and then "floats" the charge without overcharging it. It is supposed to extend the life of the battery.

Heres a link:

http://batterytender.com/default....bf9533f

Heres a pic of it charging my battery:

2004le2batcharg.jpg

Again, since I live in New England, I needed a place to store her. So, the second thing I did was build a shed. I bought it from Sears for like $300. However then I needed to buy a plywood floor as well (over $100). I also bought a pair of $20 solar powered lights to put just outside the door, to shine some light in at night.

FYI: putting together aluminum sheds is not fun!

Here's a link to the one I bought:

http://www.arrowsheds.com/newburgh.htm

And here's a pic:

<!--EDIT|jay21112
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101003212 -->

2004le3shed.jpg

Next, which was the first "actual" mod, was that I took off those warning stickers. It took a lot of rubbing and because I am stupid and impatient I used a spoon (figured a knife was too sharp) to take them off of the frame. Some cursin and black touch up paint later led to the effect I wanted.

Here's a link to a thread giving advice on how to remove these suckas:

Here's a pic:

2004le4stickers.jpg

My next mod was totally unplanned. I saw a post on this site talking about a hayabusa.org key. It looked so cool, was so cheap (and $5 goes back to the admin of the org) that I couldn't resist!!

Here is the link to the thread:

Here's a pic:

2004le5key.jpg

Next step was taking off the reflectors.

I'll admit, I had help doing this because everything was on there so damned tight I was worried if I pulled too hard I would break a caliper or screw up the tail. (You may think those are stupid thoughts but I demolish many things unintentionally.)

Well here is a thread giving advice on how to take off those nasty rear reflectors:

And here is a pic:

<!--EDIT|jay21112
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101003859 -->

2004le6reflect.jpg

Next up was cutting that mudflap. I eventually want to get a +6 swingarm, tail and undertail but those mods are 3-4 years away in my grand scheme of things. So for now, I chopped that baby up! It felt so good. I took a white pencil and drew a line across the flap just above the little outcropping for the normal license plate position. Then I cut it with a box cutter. It cut real easy. Then I took 3 different grains of sandpaper to it to smooth out the cut. I flipped the plate and poked screw holes in the leftover flap with a screw driver...and voila!

Here is a thread from BT giving tons of adivice on this:

And here is the final product:

2004le7fender.jpg

Ok, since I was putting her away for the winter I needed to rise her up off the ground. That meant stands. It also meant spools (for ease of use.) So I bought a set of suzuki spools. I got them from my dealer for $36. Spools (or swingarm sliders), bar sliders, and frame sliders all protect the bike from damage in the case of a fall. If your sliding down the road you want a frictionless material on the end of them. So although colored aluminum sliders may bling, you really want delrin for safety.

Here is a link to them:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Accesso....b166bb3

I also noticed that while the spools weigh about 1/2 ounce each, the bolts weigh like 1 lb each. So I might get some titanium bolts. You know that whole lightness is rightness stuff. However they are expensive and I'm still debating the issue.

Here are the titanium bolts:

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/detail.aspx?ID=1328

And here is a pic of them on the bike. (in use no less!)

2004le8spools.jpg

And finally (for now) the last mod I did is buy a pair of pitbull stands. (you could have guessed from the last pic!)

I got them from Indysuperbikes.com because they were actually cheaper there then from the pitbull site. Don't forget for newer busa's (I'm not sure for old ones) you need a #6 pin if you buy a new front stand.

However I do regret buying that new front stand (the one that goes under the tripletree instead of lifting up from the bottom of the forks.) That is because it is an extremely tight fit, and sometime down the line I hope to drop (and maybe rake) the front end. So I have no idea if it will work then. Oh well, time will tell.

Here is a link:

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/home.php?cat=23413

and here is a(nother) pic:

2004le9stands.jpg

Ok thats all for now. However before next season I will get Tobin to cut my seats for me. (I can't stand flat footed on the busa cause I'm short.. so I really need these seats cut for safety and sense of mind reasons)

However I haven't been able to get in touch with him yet. I've been trying email, but that hasn't worked. I just got his number off the board, so I'm going to try that next.

When it's done I'll post those pics for sure.

And since I have your attention...... I have a 94' Mitsubishi 3000GT which is about ready to die, so it's time for a new car. I went looking and found a killer deal on this car. I'm going tomorrow to put a down payment on it. What do you think?
rock.gif
? I never expected to get something this nice but OMG I can't resisit it!!

<!--EDIT|jay21112
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101004063 -->

350Z.jpg

nice scoot bro....
beerchug.gif
and car.... you don't have a need for speed or anything do ya.....
race.gif
it's all good......

And finally (for now) the last mod I did is buy a pair of pitbull stands. (you could have guessed from the last pic!)

I got them from Indysuperbikes.com because they were actually cheaper there then from the pitbull site. Don't forget for newer busa's (I'm not sure for old ones) you need a #6 pin if you buy a new front stand.

However I do regret buying that new front stand (the one that goes under the tripletree instead of lifting up from the bottom of the forks.) That is because it is an extremely tight fit, and sometime down the line I hope to drop (and maybe rake) the front end. So I have no idea if it will work then. Oh well, time will tell.

Here is a link:

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/home.php?cat=23413

and here is a(nother) pic:
Interested in a straight up swap of the newfront stand for a Pit Bull forklift (lifts from the bottom of the forks)? I've got one I never use. Lifted the busa with it prolly less than 10 times.

I wish I had caught opdsgt when he offered the same swap. He had bids on it on ebay before I saw his post...
sad.gif

Just thought I'd ask. If yer not interested that's cool...

Oh, also meant to say, if you're up to the challenge, that red LE would look sweet rollin' out next spring with a set of polished stock cans...
super.gif

Maybe you've got exhaust plans in mind already for later on. I just thought a set of polished stockers would make it look sweet until you done somethin'.
wink.gif

04busava... Oh, and like your not.
tounge.gif
 Come on we can go together to SAA (speed addicts anonymous)

Hey BT... no way on polishin those cans. If I get my dream I'll get a turbo one day with a dump pipe. And I have all my mods planned out so I don't have to buy one thing and then remove it for another....like putting an aftermarket pipe on now to just remove it in a couple of years once I get a turbo (fingers crossed.) And I considered the work (maybe not the money) involved in polishing the cans not worth it to just take off the cans one day.

About that stand. Oh yes I would love to trade. I actually saw that thread where you offered to trade him and thought wow I wonder if one day someone will offer me that trade. So, it is kinda funny you're the one.

I'm sure your stand is in good condition because even if you lifted your bike up 100 times, these things are pretty solid. (and you know mine is like a month old) If your not in a rush I would prefer to wait until spring (because as I said it's up on the stands now.) But if you need it immediately, I'm easy going, so we could arrange something and do it now.

Drop me an email and we can exchange details about shipping etc... ( jay21112@yahoo.com ) BTW: I'll throw in those cloths I taped to the stand to prevent scratches at no extra charge.  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|jay21112
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101006909 -->

04busava... Oh, and like your not.
tounge.gif
Come on we can go together to SAA (speed addicts anonymous)

Hey BT... no way on polishin those cans. If I get my dream I'll get a turbo one day with a dump pipe. And I have all my mods planned out so I don't have to buy one thing and then remove it for another....like putting an aftermarket pipe on now to just remove it in a couple of years once I get a turbo (fingers crossed.) And I considered the work (maybe not the money) involved in polishing the cans not worth it to just take off the cans one day.

About that stand. Oh yes I would love to trade. I actually saw that thread where you offered to trade him and thought wow I wonder if one day someone will offer me that trade. So, it is kinda funny you're the one.

I'm sure your stand is in good condition because even if you lifted your bike up 100 times, these things are pretty solid. (and you know mine is like a month old) If your not in a rush I would prefer to wait until spring (because as I said it's up on the stands now.) But if you need it immediately, I'm easy going, so we could arrange something and do it now.

Drop me an email and we can exchange details about shipping etc... ( jay21112@yahoo.com ) BTW: I'll throw in those cloths I taped to the stand to prevent scratches at no extra charge.
biggrin.gif
You've got mail.
wink.gif

Nice lookin' bike! That is about the darkest red I have seen for an '04 LE.

Howdy Jay,
bike looks great. and you did a good job with all the descriptions (good sense of humor too)..
are those rim edges polished?
i live near New Bedford, MA.. maybe we can go riding sometime.. i have been trying to hook up with Attic Dog but our schedules never allowed..
thanks. kal

BigBSBusa: well I don't Zaino my bike like BT, but I do wash and polish her alot! Trying to keep that red as bright as possible!

kkattan: Haven't polished anything on the bike (except with car wax). As for the rims I'm hoping for some purty carbon fiber one day. (I dream big!) I would love to go riding. I don't know a single person in MA with a sportbike and I've never even seen anyone in real life with another busa. (I used to ride with some sportbikes in RI when I went to URI, but here in MA all the guys I ride with have harleys.....yeah it's slow riding, but it's better than watching TV!!!) Once spring hits, and we dust off our babies we have to hook up and burn a few miles off our tires.
race.gif

Great job Jay ... thanks for the pictures and the info. I know you're looking forward to next year's riding season! Sweet Z-car too!!

The hell with the storage headaches, send it down here and I'll ride the hell out of it during the winter. I need a wheelie practice bike. The bike looks good. Titanium bolts??
tounge.gif
What about the coat of wax you put on her? That's got to really weigh it down!

Back