My 600 mile impression.

OB_CuriousMike

Registered
(This will be a quick overview of my impression of the motor... handling, brakes, fit/finish will come later.)

OK, for the most part, I was a good little Suzuki soldier and kept the motor under 6k for the first 500 miles. Maybe a few SHORT jaunts up to 6k with partial throttle.

At 500 miles (yesterday), I was free to go to 8k.

Many of you probably come from higher horsepower bikes than my previous '92 VFR, and I wonder aloud if the first time you had the 'Busa hit the power, were you really that impressed?
My VFR probably was a 90HP (on a good day), 45ft/lb bike... HAD to use the clutch to sit it up on one wheel.

OK, OK, back to my stories.
So, yesterday, coming home from work, I'm at the front of the line at a stop light.
Light turns green, and I sedately take off... homeboy in his Eclipse decides he has room/time to make the right on red and get in front of me. I, being slightly dickheaded, don't get off the gas at all... rather, I get alongside him, and "decide to show him who's boss."
So, for the first time, CuriousMike nails the throttle WFO in 1st gear at about 25-30mph.
There was about a second of me feeling the bike accelerate, followed by the front end coming up quick and hard.
This, to my VFR trained and calibrated self, was almost shocking.

This morning, I'm coming onto the bridge. I pay the dude his $2, and sedately (I'm pretty sedate) get going. I'm in 3rd gear, doing 60mph, when I notice there's very light traffic from the toll plaza to the rise of where the bridge starts... ~2 miles.
I assume the tuck position, and nail it.
You guys aren't smokin' crack when you say the motor makes beautiful music when it starts to honk.
At about 8.5k, I bang 4th gear.
Now, I either hit a slight rise in the pavement, or something, cuz when I hit 4th, the front went light, and the bars waggled in my hands... !!!
To hurry this up, I caught 5th gear, and pressed on... easily passing my previous best of 148 indicated on the VFR.
I saw 150, kept the throttle nailed, looked up at traffic, said, "Hmmm, coming close", so I closed the throttle, and watched as the speedo swept down from 160.
Here's what I cannot get out of my mind: The bike PULLS at 150.
That just blows my mind... I mean, it would take a mile to get the VFR from 130 to 145.
With the Bus, you twist the throttle, and it's "dial in 10mph as quick as you want."

I told a friend earlier, "I've now seen the other side, and it is good."

God freaking bless Suzuki for building this truly amazing machine.
I feel blessed to own it.
(And proud.)

hee hee hee hee

Welcome to our world my friend!!!!

When run in complete nail the baby and hit rev limiter in 1,2,3,4,5 then 'try' to look at speedo!!!

Thats my definition of fun (with capital F!)

(hitting rev limiter in 2 for the first time and not being ready for it IS NOT FUN!)
Stay Safe

NumbNuts

You know the first thing I felt when I for the first time pulled my Busa into the street was this. When I went to lean the bike it fell over so easy I could not believe it. Also and, this is the strange part, the the lean felt like it was oil dampened. I mean the lean over was so smoothe and liquid. Has anyone else felt this? Maybe it was the brand new tires. I had just sold my 99 ZX9 with worn out center on the rear. I nevre feel it now. Maybe I am just getting used to the bike. The only dissapointment I had was a kind of bog at say 2000 RPM till the revs got up to above 4000. I just put on a 42 tooth rear and that pretty much fixed that. Made a world of difference for me. I love it even more now.
BY the way. Congrats on the new Busa. Be careful the rear tire can spin out from under you in a heart beat. You whack that throttle something is going to happen right NOW! I think if you whack the throttle on a clear night you will get that Star Wars effect when you jump to light speed.

I'm afraid I'm getting caughkee with it now.
Went on a 350 mile loop along the California coast, and was ripping on it.
This thing really does handle as well as most say; certainly better than my previous '92 VFR.
We got caught behind a bunch of bicyclists on a small road west of Petaluma, and couldn't do anything for a good minute... just too tight...
The road finally opened up, and my two buddys (both on T955) cacked it open and rode small wheelys up the small hill we approached. I waited, and on the downside of the hill, whacked her open in first and rode a nice 3 footer all the way down... easy! This thing is more predictable doing wheelys... the front end comes up smoother and a bit slower (as I'm getting a feel for the throttle).
OK, I won't rattle on about wheelys, but this bike could get me in trouble... "Exhibition of Speed... Misdemeanor, $506 and 2 work furlough days, son."

The 'Bus rules.
Over.

Back